Menu

Does anybody have an Oreck vacuum?

I've had my Oreck for about 9 years and it is still going strong. I have had to take it in to the local vacuum shop for a few minor repairs (fraying cord and a new switch). I have heard that the bags on the Oreck are much more expensive, but I've never compared prices.

I've used a few other vacuum cleaners and am suprised how heavy they are compared to the Oreck.

When we replace this vacuum it will be with another Oreck.

I had an Oreck...it sucked....but not in a good, vacuum sort of way. We bought a Dyson about 4 years ago. Absolutely the best vac I have ever owned. I heart my Dyson. I own the Animal, which is heavy. If you want light and maneuverable try the Dyson Ball.

Geo

Edited by Geo
grammar

I had an Oreck quite a long time ago. It was really good on bare floors and low pile carpets but not the best on very thick or shag carpets. I think it is still in the garage. If so, I might have my hubby take it in for service and use it for the downstairs vacuum which is all hardwood.

I have a Dyson for upstairs. It does a great job and I love it. I like that I can take it apart and clean all the nooks and cranies. It also has plenty of attachments for upholstry, blinds, air registers, corners, and animal attachment, etc.

The only problem I am having right now is that I would love a hand held vacuum that works on stairs. I hate having to lug one up or down the stairs. I would love something with a strap that I could just carry that had attachments that would get corners and creavices as well as the flat surfaces. I have found the perfect one yet.

Edited by KidsHappen

I had an Oreck and was SO glad when I had to replace it. It wasn't a strong worker AT ALL. I also hate Dyson. I think they're cheaply made, all that plastic breaks, and I find they work no better than my Bissel. I had vacuumed my friend's house once using her Dyson and was SO glad I didn't waste my money on one.

I've had MANY vacuums in my time (I also *hate* central vac!) and I've ONLY been happy with the Bissel. I *love* that you can turn off the brushes and they have a small beater brush attachment for stairs/furniture that's a true workhorse!

Our Oreck is almost 20 years old and still going strong. We don't have deep pile carpet, so can't speak to whether it's good on other floors or not.

I despise wall to wall carpeting and will throw a party the day I put both my Oreck and several rolls of this disgusting, allergen infested, bacertia harboring trash on the curb.

I don't own an Oreck, but my parents do. They don't have any shag carpet, it's light (important for my mom's age), and it works well for them. When we were staying with them for a couple of weeks with our dog, though, it had a hard time picking up the dog hair.

I have a Dyson, and love it. We've owned it for two years now and it's still going strong. The cheap vacuums only last us about a year (6 kids, a dog, and a cat...). It is kind of heavy (not like a Kirby though) and the handle on top of the canister has cracked (replaceable part), but it still works very well. It is good on everything from shag in the last house to the hardwood in this one. And it pick up the pet hair.

LOVE my Oreck!!

It's the best vacuum I've ever used. My mother-in-law has one of those super expensive Kerby vacuums, but whenever she is having guests over, she borrows our vacuum because it's so much better.

When we bought it, we got a 7 year warranty with annual cleaning and service included for free. It's outlived that by almost double and is still going strong.

LOVE it!

I had an Oreck...it sucked....but not in a good, vacuum sort of way.

Geo

:iagree:

We had an Oreck and it was very light and manueverable, but unfortunately it simply did not get the floors clean. We have a Kenmore now, which is bulky and heavy but does an excellent cleaning job. I covet a Dyson, though.

I have an Oreck and hardly ever use it. It is light but doesn't suck as well as it's little canister that came with it.

THAT I love! It has a ton of sucking power! Light-wieght, easy to carry around for stairs, corners, windows, etc (Bags are $15 for 12!:eek: but it sucks up the dog hair with ease. Bernese Mountain dog + lots of dog hair!) I don't know if they sell them separately or not, but after about 20 years mine overheated and I found a replacement on ebay. I will buy another when it dies.

I hated my Oreck :glare:. Sorry!

It cleaned well for a few weeks, and then it started burning/chewing up its belts. I struggled with it for another 7-8 years because we had paid so much for it. The main problem seemed to be long hair! My daughter and I had really long hair during those years, and it would wind around the brush so tightly that I spent hours trying to remove it.

If you don't have long hair, maybe it's great!:001_smile:

A friend lent me her Hoover WindTunnel, which weighs a ton, but works so well.