Menu

We need a vacation...

The stress of losing Timmy, dh's job, tenants that left our house a disgusting mess, a garage addition that started before all of this... Can you say stress? I think my poor dh is about to lose his mind. We had thought about going to Alaska because the Army offered, but I just can't go there right now. When I think about it, my stomach gets ill. We are in SC. My dh would like to get away. I have no idea where. We would be taking our kids. We have about $2000 to spend not that we should, but sometimes life just is so hard. I don't even know what to think or where to begin. Maybe we are crazy to even think about this. We just feel so much burden that maybe getting away would help. Any great ideas? We have free hotel nights that we can use. I looked at cruises, but I have no idea. I looked at flying to CA - something we have talked about. Again no idea. I know I am rambling. Does anyone have something that sounds so great and would just be fun and relaxing?

:grouphug: Kari, that is a huge amount of stress. I agree that somewhere where you can be pampered would be nice. And I would think that your kids would like somewhere where there are activities. Are the free hotels for a chain?

Yes, we have Choice Hotel points. I think we have about 6 or so nights depending on point amount. We don't have passports, so Mexico is out. I am fine with driving. I just can't seem to get my mind clear enough to even think about this. We were not planning a vacation at all this year. Timmy treated us all to Disney in December after he came back from Iraq. I am the type of person that meticulously plans vacations for months. Now, my dh is saying he just needs to go away and soon. He still has to pass his CDL test tomorrow or he may lose his state job. If he passes, he can take up to 2 weeks off. If he fails, well he won't have a job and we will still take a couple weeks off. He can get another job, just not with sweet state benefits. So, that made me realize that either way, he was going to want to do something. I just don't even have a clue as to what.

I'm so sorry y'all are going through all this, Kari. I just can't imagine...

Some of our favorite vacation spots are NY City, Boston, and Philadelphia. :001_smile: Probably not your idea of relaxing, though.

What about Yellowstone, Glacier, or Acadia Nat'l Parks? Cape Cod is beautiful, too.

Niagara Falls, Lake Champlain, or the Finger Lakes in NY could be very low key, but also have activities. Cooperstown (Baseball HOF) and Saratoga Springs are nice family-friendly towns.

Almost anywhere in Vermont/New Hampshire would be relaxing.

I just thought...flying might eat up most of your funds. You could drive up to New England in a couple of days.

HTH.:grouphug:

ETA: Saratoga in August will be crowded and expensive because of the races. :(

Edited by Aggie

Are you beach people or forest people? Or either?

Myrtle Beach, SC? Or is that too close?

We like both. The only reason I am hesitant to staying in SC is that it has been over 100 the last couple of weeks. It is hotter here than in Florida. I have learned to love SC for the most part, but gotta say summer really stinks here. Thank you for the suggestion though. I really do appreciate it.

What about going to Siesta Key, Florida? We used to rent beach front houses for pretty cheap. They haven't been impacted by the oil spill (yet), but I hear they are running pretty good deals to try to get people to visit. Check out Casey Key, too. It's just south of Siesta Key. Of course, I'm not really factoring in your hotel points. Another great place is Lake Tahoe.

Whatever happens, I think you should absolutely go somewhere. You guys need it.

What about a cabin in the woods somewhere, maybe by a lake... someplace away from everything.

When I want to recharge, all I can think about is the mountains preferably with no internet, no phones etc. Walks, reading all mindless material -- peace and beauty that feeds my soul.

With the kids, an all inclusive vacation might be nice as well. There is something like Club Med in Florida that has some specials right now for families http://www.clubmed.us/cm/resort-sandpiper-usa_p-115-l-US-v-SANC-pe-11H-ac-vh.html. As little to worry about as possible would be good for you all. I hope you find the perfect spot after all that your family has been through.

It's a small city but would probably have a good hotel you can stay at. There are plenty of things to do. You won't be far from the Blue Ridge Parkway which is beautiful to drive on. There are many outlooks off of it, a couple of museums, several trails and a couple of state parks. Asheville has some great restaurants and is a quaint town. There's also the Biltomore House nearby which is wonderful for the whole family to see. We love the mountains and find it very peaceful. The plus side is that even this time of year it's great weather and there is so much you can do that doesn't cost a thing.

hi, Kari: I think that if you think you need a vacation, then you need a vacation. Think of what the kids like to do: beach or mountains or city-stuff. I don't remember where exactly in SC you are, but you all should be able to drive and find a spot that you think will work for you.

I usually take months to plan a vacation for us, so I know what you mean about not doing this stuff quickly but sometimes, we just have toss a dart at the map and see where it lands (we don't have to go where it lands, but it does pass the time ;)).

You have received great suggestions here, now you just have to make some decisions.

Again, not knowing where you are in SC, are you close to the SC beaches or within a reasonable drive? I have done searches that have taken me hours to do when I plan our vacations - if I can help you out in any way, PLEASe PM me. And, I know about the free hotel nights and stuff, we have them as well, and I can help you there.

Off the top of my head (b/c I am a beach person) I will toss out, the outer banks in NC, and there are too many other beaches to mention in SC, and in FL someone here mentioned a beach and there are the GA and Jacksonville beaches.

If I can help, please let me know.:grouphug:

It's a small city but would probably have a good hotel you can stay at. There are plenty of things to do. You won't be far from the Blue Ridge Parkway which is beautiful to drive on. There are many outlooks off of it, a couple of museums, several trails and a couple of state parks. Asheville has some great restaurants and is a quaint town. There's also the Biltomore House nearby which is wonderful for the whole family to see. We love the mountains and find it very peaceful. The plus side is that even this time of year it's great weather and there is so much you can do that doesn't cost a thing.

:iagree:

I was going to suggest Asheville, also. You could also drive farther west a day or two and go to the Smokies, Cades Cove, etc. It will be cooler and that whole region is gorgeous.

Have you checked out the State Parks?

We're vacationing on a budget this year and are going to one of the VA state parks. The cabin prices are reasonable and usually fully furnished. Here, we can go to the mountains, to the shore, or to a lake in the woods. Many activities at the park are low cost or free.

Ditto trying the western part of North Carolina. We went there after a time of a ton of stress, and it was very restorative to us. You might like it here http://www.lakelure.com/ This is the hotel where Dirty Dancing was filmed. Not that I'm recommending the movie, haha, just thought you might recognize it. Anyways, it's so peaceful, beautiful, and there's a great italian restaurant there where you can eat overlooking the lake. They do cruises around the lake. It would be fun and not eat up all your money. Then drive up and do the Biltmore and Great Smokies. You might google waterfalls in the Great Smokies National Park. We hiked to some of them, and they're wonderful.

I think North Carolina would be wonderful, and it sounds like there is alot to do there.

I'm not sure if you are into beaches, but since you mentioned CA I thought I would suggest my favorite beach - Carpinteria. I like Carpinteria beach since the waves are low and not too forceful so the kids can play in the waves without too much stress.

They have a Choice Points Hotel in Santa Barbara which is about 14 minutes away from Carpinteria. The hotel/motels in Santa Barbara are so expensive, but since you have free points for 6 nights it would be perfect. Santa Barbara is beautiful and there is lots to do there as well. They have a great children's zoo - one of my favorite zoos because of the view. You can also rent a 4 person bike and ride along the beach bike path. The weather is always perfect.

You would need to fly into Burbank, (1 hour drive) or Los Angeles, (about 2 hours drive) airport. Santa Barbara also has an airport but it would probably be pricey. It is usually cheaper to travel Wed. to Wed. I like fly.com to research airfares because they compare all the airlines. For a car you can use Priceline and try the make a bid option which is cheaper than Travelocity or Expedia. I just rented a car in Conn. with Enterpise through Priceline and then got a free upgrade coupon through the Auto Club which they honored.

Another great CA option would be to fly into San Diego and visit the beach, hike and spend a day at Sea World. I don't know that area that well, but if you search on the boards there have been a few threads about things to do there.

Lastly, if you are an Auto Club member they will make a free trip ticket for the driving part of your vacation. They include exact driving directions and maps, too.

Hope you have a great get away.

Edited by Ferdie

Yes, we have Choice Hotel points. I think we have about 6 or so nights depending on point amount.

I just can't seem to get my mind clear enough to even think about this.

Keep it simple. Look up locations of Choice Hotels within driving distance for you, and then just pick one in an area that appeals. Dip into your $2000 for meals/daily grocery trips (prepared sandwiches, produce, baked goods, etc.), and then whatever activities you feel like doing each day, if any.

:grouphug:

Kari, First...:grouphug:. I think you have to figure out what would be most restorative for both of you. My family was on a tight budget this year so we just took a little trip to a cabin in the hills on a wonderful river. The kids got to play in the water, we had a change of scene, and all had a great time. BUT, I'm exhausted because I still had to do all the planning, shopping, packing, cooking, cleaning up, back at home we are now unpacking, laundry, groceries, etc.

For ME the most relaxing vacation I ever had was one to an all-inclusive resort, so a cruise would be the same thing. You don't have to cook or clean up, don't have to think about $$$ being spent. You can sit and watch the world go by, get lost in a book, have a massage every day if you want, eat like kings all day. Although I have never been on a cruise everyone I know just LOVES them and says their kids have an absolute blast. Can you leave from anywhere close to you so you can save the airfare?

Hope you figure out something nice for your family. Many :grouphug:.