Menu

Tell me about GWG please?

parias1126

I've used 1, 2 and 3. Similar response to above poster. Although, I'd have to say it is independent only to a degree. It was very possible for my kids to fill in the correct answers, yet later when I would ask them what a pronoun was they couldn't tell me. :001_huh: So, I started making sure that I taught the lesson to them, not just let them at it independently. We now use R&S and I think we'll continue with that. There was very little difference between levels 3 and 4 of GWG... I felt like ds would be doing the exact same thing he did the year before. Also... R&S is non-consumable which I appreciate.

We have used GWG 3,4, and 7. Dd used 3 & 4 and would have done 5 but we decided to go with MCT this year to get more writing in. Ds9 used 3 last year and is using 4 this year since he isn't ready for MCT. Ds14 used 7 last year in 8th grade and is using MCT this year. The 2 younger ones liked that it was independent and they could work on their own. They didn't like that I would check it and make them redo any missed. Ds14 actually didn't like the independent part and mostly wanted me sitting next to him while he worked. This is odd because he has been working independently since 3rd.

We did 1/2 (now separate volumes, I think) in 12 months for second grade. It was painless, there was enough space for a small child to write, kiddo caught on and moved to independence, the level of reading was appropriate, and it was uncluttered and a spiral from the top (I love not having to "fight" a spine!!!).

My only dislike was the odd, non-phonetical names. Okay in 5th grade, not thrilling in first grade. My son did better with the Asian names in Singapore math!

We will be doing 3 next year, but I will be mooching into MCT as an integrated program (if it works, if it doesn't work...perhaps more GWG), and I've been looking over AG for later on.

Customer service is good, too.

I liked it, by my son didn't. He really didn't like writing...even a sentence, so there was a bit too much of that in the first few levels for him. He also wasn't retaining it. I discovered he needs me to teach him the materials, he cannot retain from reading through himself.

Alison

This will be our third year with GWG (we've used grades 2,3,4 and 5). I also like the simple, no nonsense approach. My girls don't mind completing their lessons each day. I do have to sit down with my girls on occasion to explain lessons to them (like diagraming). My girls test high in language (fifth grader tests post high school and third grader is several grades ahead) so I will be sticking with GWG. It works for my girls. HTHs.

This will be our third year with GWG (we've used grades 2,3,4 and 5). I also like the simple, no nonsense approach. My girls don't mind completing their lessons each day. I do have to sit down with my girls on occasion to explain lessons to them (like diagraming). My girls test high in language (fifth grader tests post high school and third grader is several grades ahead) so I will be sticking with GWG. It works for my girls. HTHs.

:iagree: This will be our fourth year with GWG and it works very well for my ds.

Pam

We have used GWG 3,4, and 7. Dd used 3 & 4 and would have done 5 but we decided to go with MCT this year to get more writing in. Ds9 used 3 last year and is using 4 this year since he isn't ready for MCT. Ds14 used 7 last year in 8th grade and is using MCT this year. The 2 younger ones liked that it was independent and they could work on their own. They didn't like that I would check it and make them redo any missed. Ds14 actually didn't like the independent part and mostly wanted me sitting next to him while he worked. This is odd because he has been working independently since 3rd.

What is MCT?

I liked it, by my son didn't. He really didn't like writing...even a sentence, so there was a bit too much of that in the first few levels for him. He also wasn't retaining it. I discovered he needs me to teach him the materials, he cannot retain from reading through himself.

Alison

My oldest son also does not like writing, but I liked the curriculum for that reason. Since we didn't do a formal writing program last year this was just the right amount of writing for him (fill in the blanks, rewrite the sentence). Both of my sons retained the information well, and never complained about the worksheets. The only reason we are not using it this year is that we are switching to MCT and IEW.

We've used GWG with my DSDs and they liked it way better then FLL or WWE :tongue_smilie: I will start DS on it in k maybe 1st and then we will make the switch to MCT around 3rd because I have become obsessed thanks to you ladies :lol: My older DSD liked the ability to do it totally on her own but I really agree that you need to spend some time with the child at least at the beginning of the lesson for them really to absorb or retain anything from it. That said I like GWG for the younger years, MCT and AG for the older years. I don't know if it would work or if I am nuts but I was toying with the idea of using GWG along side FLL but that may be overkill IDK :tongue_smilie:

We definitely plan to use GWG alongside FLL. But FLL will only be 2 days a week when we'll mostly work on memorizing grammar definitions/poems. We do several lessons at once so we still will keep pace.

In a year or so we'll switch to MCT. (I linked to the website for those people who can't figure out acronyms.)

We've been using for 4 or 5 yr...I forgot which we started with.

As others have said...simple, straight forward, no frills, directed to student, quite independent. But as another poster said, you may want to follow up on things (ie recognizing a pronoun, etc.) just to make sure they're not just going through the motions.

I like that it's open and go for my kids. I have a house full here to teach/train/manage and this has been great for us. The kids learn enough of what they need to learn and I don't have to hover/teach it all. Instead, I can be rearing up the littles, keeping them out of the butter and trash ;) And teaching the 4 yr old his letters and numbers. :)

What is MCT?

Michael Clay Thompson series from fireworks press www.rfwp.com It was originally written for gifted public schoolers, but works well for homeschoolers due to the one on one teaching. It combines grammar, vocabulary, poetry, and writing. Although they are working on 2 different levels, my 9th grader and 5th grader are really close as far as writing skills go. He hates to write and she likes it. So, I'm hoping this will at least get him into minimum essay skills for high school without holding her back or comparing them.