Menu

I give up....everything is killing us.

Receipts??? RECEIPTS????

http://www.comcast.net/news/newswrap/5787131/studyreceiptscouldbeharmfultoyourhealth/

I'm trying to eat healthier, switch most of our foods to organic, buy meats that are hormone free, use deodorants that are free of chemicals, use greener cleaning products, and now....receipts are harmful to our health???

I give up....sometimes I wonder if knowledge really is power?

I have relatives overseas (in Europe) and they mentioned once how astonished they were to see "so much plastic" when they came over here to visit. :glare: I think maybe we're a very chemical-y people. :tongue_smilie:

You know, I wonder about this. A number of establishments want to go receipt-free. At one particular Whole Foods store a clerk told me that Whole Foods is trying to move away from giving receipts because they "waste paper" (???) and said in the future people would specifically have to ask for receipts. The Smart Tag we have to use to drive on the toll road does not give either receipts or mailed or online statements. Somehow you're just supposed to trust that these places are billing you correctly.

I have relatives overseas (in Europe) and they mentioned once how astonished they were to see "so much plastic" when they came over here to visit. :glare: I think maybe we're a very chemical-y people. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I know I cant get everything right, it's crazy to try, but plastic is toxic. I just try to stay away from it when there is another option. You just cant win in this world! Fix or change one thing for the better and you learn about 5 things that are wrong/harmful!!! It feels like one step forward and 3 steps back.

I've heard plastic is toxic....but in what ways? I let my kids eat off of those divided plates. Are those toxic? Should we only eat off of glass plates? And how about cups? I can't see giving my kids a glass cup to carry around. Are the BPA free cups safe or is there other chemicals in them that are just as harmful?

I've stopped heating things up in plastic containers in the microwave. I know that is dangerous. I always put it on a glass plate or bowl now.

But what about carrying sandwiches in those plastic sandwich carriers? How would I carry a sandwich around if we didn't use those?

It is never ending LOL.

I wish I knew where to find that post from a year or so ago...and I don't even remember who posted it. I think it was one of our horse-loving members. It was a response to tomato-can linings being toxic or some such. She said, essentially, "People, we are all going to die. You are. I am. If it's not the canned tomatoes, it will be the tupperware or the bug spray or the carpet off-gassing. I can't worry about everything."

:iagree:

She was right about that.

It was MichelleT. I found the thread. Here's what she said:

I'm still alive. But eventually, I'll die. So will every single one of you, despite not eating microwave popcorn, or canned tomatoes.

I think we are at a point where the endless messages of danger, warning, threat are so overwhelming, that it is close to impossible to just live. Sure, be as healthy as possible, but if you didn't eat every single thing you were warned about, what would be left? And you are still breathing the air, touching the soil, having sex, being around other people/animals, driving in cars, going on airplanes........

I pick and choose what to worry about. There is only so much one can do in the face of endless warnings. Regardless, I will die no matter how healthily I eat, exercise, live. I figure I might as well enjoy life while I'm living it. Worrying about the occasional canned tomatoes isn't worth it, IMHO.

Michelle T

Yeah. That. :iagree:

Huh.

So, if I worked as a checker at a grocery store which is listed as having unsafe receipts...does that make me more liable to have receipt-poisoning? Is this an occupational hazard? :001_huh:

Seriously, half the time I touch the receipts just enough to throw them out. Then again, I almost never have to buy large amounts of anything, and so it's *really* easy to see if I'm being overcharged on anything.

I'm so not going to worry about this. It's not worth it.

I've heard plastic is toxic....but in what ways? I let my kids eat off of those divided plates. Are those toxic? Should we only eat off of glass plates? And how about cups? I can't see giving my kids a glass cup to carry around. Are the BPA free cups safe or is there other chemicals in them that are just as harmful?

I've stopped heating things up in plastic containers in the microwave. I know that is dangerous. I always put it on a glass plate or bowl now.

But what about carrying sandwiches in those plastic sandwich carriers? How would I carry a sandwich around if we didn't use those?

It is never ending LOL.

So, the same plastic medical tubing that is used in hospitals every day is the same thing that's killing us? Whoa. Sounds like a Stephen Wright joke.

Truly, I think it comes down to doing what you can and not freaking out over the rest.

It is never ending LOL.

You are funny...you know, STRESS is one of the BIGGEST killers around! I've met too many cigarette smoking, bacon eating, bourbon swigging old-timers to believe that EVERYTHING is bad for us.:)

I like how coffee was supposed to kill us all, then all of a sudden it's good for us! The busybodies never quit. :lol:

You know, I wonder about this. A number of establishments want to go receipt-free. At one particular Whole Foods store a clerk told me that Whole Foods is trying to move away from giving receipts because they "waste paper" (???) and said in the future people would specifically have to ask for receipts. The Smart Tag we have to use to drive on the toll road does not give either receipts or mailed or online statements. Somehow you're just supposed to trust that these places are billing you correctly.

That would never work for me. I have to keep every one of my receipts. I am a resident of a no personal income tax state, so I need the receipts to take the sales tax deduction on my state taxes.

I wish I knew where to find that post from a year or so ago...and I don't even remember who posted it. I think it was one of our horse-loving members. It was a response to tomato-can linings being toxic or some such. She said, essentially, "People, we are all going to die. You are. I am. If it's not the canned tomatoes, it will be the tupperware or the bug spray or the carpet off-gassing. I can't worry about everything."

:iagree:

She was right about that.

So true! Thanks for posting that reminder. I was just thinking of using some desk paper (mostly computer paper scraps) to help start the charcoal last night, and there were a bunch of receipts in there. I briefly wondered if they would be okay to burn and what chemicals might be on them. I thought how paranoid I have become. Ha! Now this article. Oh brother.

So. . . don't eat them! :D

Throw them out or file them and then wash your hands before eating. I'm sure you wash your hands before eating anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, accept that the article said that the BPA absorbs down into a lower level of your skin where you can't wash it off.

Honestly, I would love for the world to go back to a simpler life. Can we just go back to eat food again? Not using all these chemicals? Live off of the land naturally rather than having to try to "improve" everything? Really, I think God got it right and we're just messing up His stuff.

Edited by joannqn