Menu

Need ideas for vacation with educational value for high school student

My oldest two ds's will not be homeschooling in the fall. They'll be enrolled in a public school that is a combo high school/community college. My problem is that there is no fall break for the high school part (but there is for the community college part.) We always take our big family vacation in the fall because that is when I can get off work. To be an excused absence, the trip must be of educational value "equivalent to what the student would be getting in school" (high school in this case.) argh. I really wanna go to the shore/beach or something and just relax together. (We may go for unexcused absences...)

So....what educational vacations can you think of on the East Coast ? This would be mid-October.

We could go to DC, I guess and stay on the Chesapeake Bay maybe. Ideas? We've never been to the Smithsonian as a family. The guys are not so much into museums, etc. anymore though. (Would have loved it when they were younger.) How much hassle is it to visit Congress now? Do they even allow it anymore?

Can you think of any "out of the box" kinds of educational trips (ie other than museums?) Any kind of vocational learning opportunities (at the shore/beach would be nice! Ha!)

Thanks!

Check these trips out for "ideas" of educational things to see and do - http://www.educationaldiscoverytours.com/index.php/travel-programs/category/east-coast-educational-tours

Personally, we are going on a trip that will be half educational, half relaxing. Flying to NY and doing all the "educational" stuff like Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc. (we have family that is living there for a few years). Then we're driving up to Maine for FUN! Lobster rolls - here we come!

I would choose to go where ever you would go if there was no educational requirement. Then I'd look on the net for museums or other places of interest in the area and make up a list of those and submit that. East coast is full of history and museums of all sorts. Then on vacation, I'd pick a few to do, and enjoy the beach the rest of the time. :) Beach time is hands on for marine biology isn't it? :D

Just read the last part of your post - I really have to learn to read everything first lol - and for out of the box, I'd suggest finding a marine mammal stranded center, or sea turtle rehab, or things of that kind, and then incorporate some volunteer time there - he may even need to pay to participate - and have some down time for the rest. Might even be opportunities to help out with the oil spill down in the Florida panhandle. For beach enjoyment, you can drive to the Atlantic coast.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

The Smithsonian Museums are far more than mere museums. lol I think all Americans should tour a little of what is there. It's pretty amazing stuff, to say the least. They might enjoy the Air & Space Museum. The American History Museum is quite amazing with it's zillions of odd artifacts (as well as more common ones). Outside of the Smithsonian buildings, which are all free, there is The Spy Museum , which is quite fun and iteresting. Have they ever been to Ford's Theater? The Holocaust Museum? What aboout Mount Vernon? Monticello? The Lincoln Memorial? The Reflecting Pool , and to look for the stone that shows where MLK gave his I Have a Dream Speech?

Edited by LibraryLover

Go to the beach if that's what you love!

VA, NC and SC all have tons of interesting history stuff along the coast.

A few things which come to mind:

VA -Norfolk navy base is cool - tour an aircraft carrier!

NC- the Wright Brothers at Kittyhawk, shipwrecks

SC - Fort Sumpter and lots of civil war stuff

Take a few books along and lie on the beach discussing philosophy for the week. Cheap, doesn't require movement and is easily accomplished providing you're awake. Make sure the kids remember to call it a unit study, so it sounds appropriately jargonish.

Rosie

Great point! Wherever you go just bring some good books! They can read them in the car or on the plane, and in the hotel at night, and then you can have your regular vacation the rest of the time.

Alternative, go to the beach, and watch a bunch of ocean related documentaries on netflix. Heck,I'm pretty sure you could just watch all the shark week stuff and call it good, although that might make swimming less appealing :)

Great point! Wherever you go just bring some good books! They can read them in the car or on the plane, and in the hotel at night, and then you can have your regular vacation the rest of the time.

Alternative, go to the beach, and watch a bunch of ocean related documentaries on netflix. Heck,I'm pretty sure you could just watch all the shark week stuff and call it good, although that might make swimming less appealing :)

Good try, ladies. :D I would definitely count that kind of thing as a school day while homeschooling, but our vacation now that they will be in a public school has to comply with the rules put down by the state general assembly as to what constitutes an excused absence. The travel itself has to be educational. If we could do it in my living room, it's not "travel as education!" :tongue_smilie:

Good try, ladies. :D I would definitely count that kind of thing as a school day while homeschooling, but our vacation now that they will be in a public school has to comply with the rules put down by the state general assembly as to what constitutes an excused absence. The travel itself has to be educational. If we could do it in my living room, it's not "travel as education!" :tongue_smilie:

I did not read Rosie's post as suggesting that you stay home, but rather that you turn a trip to the beach into an educational vacation by incorporating watching some documentaries, and add those to educational things that you do enroute or while there. I think she suggested watching the "shark week" series, if that appealed to you.

I second the VA area. Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Va Beach would give you more than you could possibly do in one vacation!

My family is spending a few days next month on a Lancaster County, PA "farm stay" vacation. That's pretty out of the box for us! :D

It's like a bed and breakfast where you stay, they give you breakfast, and you experience life on the farm and can help with farm chores and things like that.

I don't know if high schoolers would be interested in that though.

There are also dude ranches, where they can learn more about the horses and stuff.

But then again like someone else said, you could always go on whatever vacation YOU want and then make it educational. You want to go to the beach? Go to the beach. Maybe while you're at it, there's a lighthouse or a marine biology kind of place you can explore, museums there, things like that.

The travel itself has to be educational. If we could do it in my living room, it's not "travel as education!" :tongue_smilie:

But you couldn't do those things in your lounge room. If you weren't on holiday, your kids would be at school, not in your lounge room.

Rosie

I did not read Rosie's post as suggesting that you stay home, but rather that you turn a trip to the beach into an educational vacation by incorporating watching some documentaries, and add those to educational things that you do enroute or while there. I think she suggested watching the "shark week" series, if that appealed to you.

I didn't read it that way either. I was kidding in my response because the state's rules make it more complicated than it should have to be. I will miss the freedom of homeschooling for sure, though I"m looking forward to the benefits of this particular school experience, too.