Menu

Friend's daughter got deferred until spring semester at Uni.

Hoggirl

Has anyone ever heard of this? Their daughter got accepted for the fall at the University of Florida. She was told sometime later (not sure when) that because there were so many students she could not begin until January. They deferred her. She was allowed to make application to have the later start date waived, but it was denied. So, her college career is starting a semeseter later than she anticipated.

Really surprised me.

I'm not surprised. Lots of state universities are working with low funding and can't accommodate all the students they used to admit. Many of our state universities are not admitting any students for spring semester at all, only for fall, and far fewer students than in the past.

This is better than what happened to my oldest ds. He was accepted at a state university for the fall semester last year. In late August when he was supposed to register they told him that he was not going to be admitted after all - along with thousands of other students - because they were short on funds. They just changed their mind and de-admitted him (and others). After we and many others complained, they put a statement on their website saying that being admitted to the college does not guarantee a student will be able to attend classes. :confused:

He ended up with a semester off school because it was too late to get classes at the cc, then registered at the cc for spring semester and will be leaving next month to go to an out of state university. We don't trust the state university system now.

I'm not surprised. Lots of state universities are working with low funding and can't accommodate all the students they used to admit. Many of our state universities are not admitting any students for spring semester at all, only for fall, and far fewer students than in the past.

This is better than what happened to my oldest ds. He was accepted at a state university for the fall semester last year. In late August when he was supposed to register they told him that he was not going to be admitted after all - along with thousands of other students - because they were short on funds. They just changed their mind and de-admitted him (and others). After we and many others complained, they put a statement on their website saying that being admitted to the college does not guarantee a student will be able to attend classes. :confused:

He ended up with a semester off school because it was too late to get classes at the cc, then registered at the cc for spring semester and will be leaving next month to go to an out of state university. We don't trust the state university system now.

ouch

Those stories are terrible...the universities in California are in trouble also. At the local Cal State school, they canceled many spring classes after students had registered. This left some students who were supposed to graduate, without the classes they needed and thought they had. Apparently they resolved it by allowing graduating seniors to enroll in other sections that were full. But if you weren't a graduating senior and a class got canceled - too bad.

I've heard that you should expect to spend 5 years at a California public school now instead of 4, just to get the classes you need.

Stories like these, plus the poor funding of our public schools (at all levels) helped me steer ds towards a private school for college. The only state schools he applied to where out of state, with guaranteed four year grad. rate, etc.

I might as well add that I am going over the graduation requirements for this college with ds very carefully, and making sure he has a template of what he needs to take when to graduate on time. Considering I almost finished a PhD, I have certainly had plenty of experience (at SEVEN colleges) with registering for classes ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL

My dd is going to a private school which promises a 4 year graduation *unless the student chooses to extend their time*. However, all her school issued scholarship $$ is written for 5 years, in case she decides to pursue international study.

The state school that was my dd's second choice specifically wrote all award money as *only* 4 years, and yet I was told over and over to expect 6 years and be thrilled with 5.

I mean, honestly! Two years out of pocket MORE than made up the difference in cost!

Oops! Sorry, I should have quoted. I was commenting on the comment that CA schools are now basically 5 year plans.

Edited by MSPolly

has a policy like this. You are admitted to the spring semester, but can transfer credits, or take classes later in the day, figure a way to live in the area and commute. I forget exactly how it works. It sounded like business to me, and instead of feeling second-choice, many of the kids posted that they had a nice transition semester, then joined in, and by sophomore year, blended right in, no problem. I have no clue if that is a minority of reponses. My son was not accepted there, so it didn't become an issue.

My dd is going to a private school which promises a 4 year graduation *unless the student chooses to extend their time*. However, all her school issued scholarship $$ is written for 5 years, in case she decides to pursue international study.

The state school that was my dd's second choice specifically wrote all award money as *only* 4 years, and yet I was told over and over to expect 6 years and be thrilled with 5.

I mean, honestly! Two years out of pocket MORE than made up the difference in cost!

Oops! Sorry, I should have quoted. I was commenting on the comment that CA schools are now basically 5 year plans.

For us, if we are only considering the math, the state U still comes out better. 4 yrs *$20,000 = $80,000; whereas 5 yrs * $4500 = $22,500. (the annual tuition costs I'm using are my guesstimates of what we'll be obliged to pay out-of-pocket after scholarships).

$$ isn't our only consideration, but it's a big one.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Their daughter got accepted for the fall at the University of Florida. She was told sometime later (not sure when) that because there were so many students she could not begin until January. They deferred her. She was allowed to make application to have the later start date waived, but it was denied. So, her college career is starting a semester later than she anticipated.

Really surprised me.

A friend told me that UF preferred students start at the cc (or other state U's). It makes sense in that any school only has so much $$ & space to work with & those generic Freshman classes can be matriculated from any state school.

So will/can this girl take classes @ the cc to keep on schedule or will she just wait?

A friend told me that UF preferred students start at the cc (or other state U's). It makes sense in that any school only has so much $$ & space to work with & those generic Freshman classes can be matriculated from any state school.

So will/can this girl take classes @ the cc to keep on schedule or will she just wait?

She has a good 30 - 36 hours through AP testing so a lot of those freshmen courses are alredy covered. I am pretty sure she has all 4's and 5's on her AP exams. I think, however, that she was going in as a freshman. Not sure. Her older sister is at UF and she had done IB (daughter #2 did not). She had 45 hours of AP/IB, etc. and had to forego 15 hours of that so she could still qualify for freshmen scholarships.

I didn't get to talk to her mom too long about it, and I was really so stunned that I wasn't formulating questions very fast. I guess my concern would be: how do you know they won't do it again in the spring???

Cynthia:

Along w/your "what about spring" concern is: Why UF? Is the program she wants only available there or is it just her 1st choice? I understand wanting both dc to be at the same school, but I'd be checking USF or FSU, or any of the others. Of course at this late date, housing could be a real problem.

Cynthia:

Along w/your "what about spring" concern is: Why UF? Is the program she wants only available there or is it just her 1st choice? I understand wanting both dc to be at the same school, but I'd be checking USF or FSU, or any of the others. Of course at this late date, housing could be a real problem.

Both parents were Gators. Some grandparents were Gators. They are a Gator family. Is UF more highly regarded academically? I don't know if it has to do with her major. Like I said, I didn't follow up with any intelligent questions. I'll post again next time I talk to her.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Their daughter got accepted for the fall at the University of Florida. She was told sometime later (not sure when) that because there were so many students she could not begin until January.

UF is very difficult to get into. Couple exploding growth in Florida over the last two decades with university presidents that have limited or decreased numbers admitted. Oh yes. Add in Florida's excellent state scholarship program and wah-lah: loads of high achieving students that want to stay in state.

I've known several students that were admitted for spring. Summer admissions is now just as competitive; 20 years ago it was an easier way to get into UF. Is it confirmed that she was accepted for fall and then deferred? Maybe UF just had more acceptances than anticipated. Given the economy, I can see even more students staying in state.

Lisa

As for AP/IB credits, as far as I know the only way you can end up forgoing freshman scholarships is from dual credit from a community college. AP credits should *not* disqualify anyone from freshman scholarships. Prior enrollment in a community college with enough credits to make them into a transfer student might.

For AP, the college decides to give the incoming freshman credit for various classes. Once given, those classes are covered and the student may turn into a sophomore. They don't automatically come in with the credits.

If your friend's dd has so many AP credits, she may be able to continue as normal even with a deferred enrollment. :)

As for AP/IB credits, as far as I know the only way you can end up forgoing freshman scholarships is from dual credit from a community college. AP credits should *not* disqualify anyone from freshman scholarships. Prior enrollment in a community college with enough credits to make them into a transfer student might.

For AP, the college decides to give the incoming freshman credit for various classes. Once given, those classes are covered and the student may turn into a sophomore. They don't automatically come in with the credits.

If your friend's dd has so many AP credits, she may be able to continue as normal even with a deferred enrollment. :)

I think I have muddied the waters here. My friend has two daughters. Both are bright and good students. Daughter #1 is academically stronger and is currently enrolled and will be a junior at UF next year. SHE is the one who did IB. She also had lots of AP credits. SHE is on a full tuition scholarship. In order for her to be eligible for the full tuition scholarship she got she HAD to enroll as a freshman. In order to enroll as a freshman, she did have to forego 15 of her 45 hours of credit which she was eligible for. She could have kept all 45 hours, but would NOT have gotten the scholarship she received. I hope this makes sense.

Daughter #2 is the one who was deferred. She is also a strong student and has about 30 hours of AP. However, she did not do IB. I still have not talked to my friend again, so I do not know what reasons, if any, were given for her (in particular) being deferred.

I'm not really trying to "fix" anything for my friend's daughter. I had just never heard of this and wondered if anyone else had/how common it was, etc.