Menu

Common cold question (Totally TMI, sorry)

I have had allergy/asthma-like symptoms for many years now, and when I get a cold, it tends to settle into my sinuses and chest and hang around for appx. 6 weeks. I've come to realize that this isn't what happens with normal people, but I'm still not sure at what point most folks would seek out some sort of medical care.

If you had a cold, and on the third day you started sneezing out/blowing orangy brown mucous (sorry!), would you go to the doctor, or would you wait it out? How long would you wait?

I'm not really on board with homeopathic remedies (yet), so I am mostly wondering about those who use standard doctors/meds.

Thanks,

Julie (who just isn't in the mood to still have this cold when school starts in Sept!)

If you had a cold, and on the third day you started sneezing out/blowing orangy brown mucous (sorry!), would you go to the doctor, or would you wait it out? How long would you wait?

Do you do sinus washes? Most of the doctors around here will recommend you try that first, before prescribing anything, so I'd definitely do that before going to the doctor.

Wait 7 to 10 days for symptoms to abate. That's how long it usually takes your body to fight off a virus. If your symptoms are caused by a virus, there really is nothing any healthcare provider can do, other than tell you about/prescribe medication for symptom abatement.

If symptoms persist after the 7-10 day limit (if I or someone in my family is miserable, I only wait 8 days, really), it may be bacterial. A bacterial infection may respond to antibiotics, which a physician/NP can prescribe.

ETA: I'd try OTC medications for symptom abatement first. Musinex, Sudaphed, neti pot, etc.

Well, a cold is a virus so there is very little the doctor can do. Antibiotics won't help at all - even though my mother insists on them.;) All your doctor can do is confirm that it is a cold and possibly prescribe something a bit stronger than OTC to help you be comfortable. Of course the doctor may decide it isn't a cold.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the doctor if I knew it was a cold or the flu. I didn't even get out of bed for the swine flu. If there is a chance your condition might be something else then go. If OTC meds do nothing to help you be comfortable, go to the doc.

:grouphug: Hope you feel better soon.

Wait 7 to 10 days for symptoms to abate. That's how long it usually takes your body to fight off a virus. If your symptoms are caused by a virus, there really is nothing any healthcare provider can do, other than tell you about/prescribe medication for symptom abatement.

If symptoms persist after the 7-10 day limit (if I or someone in my family is miserable, I only wait 8 days, really), it may be bacterial. A bacterial infection may respond to antibiotics, which a physician/NP can prescribe.

ETA: I'd try OTC medications for symptom abatement first. Musinex, Sudaphed, neti pot, etc.

But what I'm mostly wondering is at what point does it become an infection that *would* possibly respond to antibiotics? I think it's too soon now, but it always hangs around for 6 weeks or so. I'm thinking there's probably a point where it would be useful to go in, I'm just not sure how to determine when that point is, kwim?

Personally, I wouldn't go to the doctor if I knew it was a cold or the flu. I didn't even get out of bed for the swine flu.

Does this mean I get 6 weeks of staying in bed? :hurray: I've never had a cold that didn't turn into something nasty that lasted at least 6 weeks.

I give it 10-14 days, then I go especially if I've been coughing or if I have terrible sinus pain. At that point I would rather they listen to my lungs and reassure me that it is virual. There's been a couple times that it wasn't and I needed antibiotics.

But what I'm mostly wondering is at what point does it become an infection that *would* possibly respond to antibiotics? I think it's too soon now, but it always hangs around for 6 weeks or so. I'm thinking there's probably a point where it would be useful to go in, I'm just not sure how to determine when that point is, kwim?

the only way to really be sure is to have a sample (of what you cough up or what gets swabbed from your nasal passages) cultured. Most docs won't do this, but will just go by symptom description & length of illness because culturing every time is cost-prohibitive.

You might not want to hear this, but I strongly recommend trying dairy free to see if that helps. I don't think my sinus issues were as bad as yours, but I *always* was congested. Within a few weeks of giving up dairy, the congestion cleared up. I can tell within a day or so if I let even small amounts of dairy into my diet. I loved cheese too.

Does this mean I get 6 weeks of staying in bed? :hurray: I've never had a cold that didn't turn into something nasty that lasted at least 6 weeks.

Well, was it really a cold from the start? I've never understood that having a cold that turned into pneumonia. Isn't it more of having a cold, resistance is down, immune system weak and one gets pneumonia because one is susceptible.

How well are you taking care of yourself? Prior to getting sick? Lots of fruit and veggies, vitamins, rest, exercise? What do you do when you get a cold? Lots of fruit and veggies, vitamins, rest and more rest?

Our culture frowns upon one sleeping and lots of rest for a cold. We are to dope up with 6 different meds and get back to work. That is another thing I've had a hard time understanding.

After two or three days one feels marginally better so one sets oneself up for a relapse by getting up and taking care of the neglected children and house.

Are you getting lots of colds? If you are, you might want to consider talking to your doctor about it. With your history there may be something else you can do.

I have had allergy problems for many years and used to stay sick with colds/sinus problems all the time. Now I am almost never sick and this is what I do.

I take a benadryl every night without fail and a vitamin c. I know it sounds simple, but the colds/sinus problems really did seem to be caused by the allergies, so keeping them under control keeps me well. If I do start having some breakthrough allergy symptoms, I just take 2 benadryl instead of one.

This works great for me. Hope it helps you, too.

Debbi

I generally get a sinus infection whenever I get a cold. I am getting pretty good at figuring out when my cold is turning into one. It is basically when I begin to feel like I have cinderblock sitting on my face. I go to the doctor and get antibiotics as soon as I feel this way. Basically, I want to clear up the infection, even if the cold has not completely finished running its course. But your doctor might not feel the same way. I'd call and ask to avoid a wasted trip.

I have had allergy/asthma-like symptoms for many years now, and when I get a cold, it tends to settle into my sinuses and chest and hang around for appx. 6 weeks.

Have you looked into getting checked for allergies? Maybe there is something in your home that is making you have these asthma/allergy symptoms?

Have you considered that maybe your diet might be causing these symptoms as well?

I'm not really on board with homeopathic remedies (yet), so I am mostly wondering about those who use standard doctors/meds.

Thanks,

Julie (who just isn't in the mood to still have this cold when school starts in Sept!)

I don't use conventional meds, we lean towards homeopathic and also diet to help heal.

I would suggest increasing your vitamin C intake daily, taking a good probiotic, and eating local produce and honey. ;)

Do you have wheezing when it goes to your chest? When I was little my colds ALWAYS went to my chest and the doctors diagnosed me as having "asthmatic bronchitis". If not caught in time it turned into pneaumonia. I would wait if it was just in your sinuses but if it was in your chest I would see a doctor ASAP. HTH!

Have you looked into getting checked for allergies? Maybe there is something in your home that is making you have these asthma/allergy symptoms?

Yes, I'm working on the allergies, and have been doing immunotherapy. I have a problem with mold and dust mite dander, and that's a hard thing to eradicate. I just replaced the curtains in my room with some that are washable, but I really think I need to get rid of the carpeting in my room too. That's going to have to be a long way down the road though. :(

Anyway, I am trying to deal with the allergy problem, but it's hard to take drastic measures without knowing if they'll really help.

I constantly have congestion and the same problem as you; everything turns into a long drawn out sinus ordeal. Sometimes it turns into pretty severe dizziness. In the past I have gone to the doc only to be sent home to wait it out. Because I always get sent home and they never do anything except tell me to buy dramamine and sudafed, I now only go in if:

I feel like it got to my lungs

I have bright green, yellow or bloody mucus

I have severe ear pain

You have one of the symptoms I always go in for. If the mucus is discoloured like that, there may be infection.

You have some great suggestions here. Personally I think I'm going to try Lawana's suggestion of avoiding dairy for a while and see if it helps.

Edited by tofuscramble

Personally I think I'm going to try Lawana's suggestion of avoiding dairy for a while and see if it helps.

See, now, I'm purposely ignoring Lawana's suggestion (sorry Lawana!), not because it's not a great suggestion (I'm sure it probably is!), but because I think I'd die without cheese. Really. Truly. Cannot envision a life without cheese. The very thought makes me cringe. :001_huh: I could skip out on chocolate forever and be okay, but cheese? Cannot. Imagine.

I never get sick, but almost 2 weeks ago I started with a most annoying cough and because of the cough I was unable to sleep through the night. Mucinex didn't help, Delsym didn't help. Finally I decided to go to the dr. because 10 days with no sleep does not make me a happy girl. Apparently I have bronchitis, which I've not had in over 13 years. Last night was my first night of restful sleep thanks to the rx from the doc.

Anyway, I've always heard 10-14 days before seeing a dr. In your shoes, I'd probably get checked out. Good luck! :grouphug:

See, now, I'm purposely ignoring Lawana's suggestion (sorry Lawana!), not because it's not a great suggestion (I'm sure it probably is!), but because I think I'd die without cheese. Really. Truly. Cannot envision a life without cheese. The very thought makes me cringe. :001_huh: I could skip out on chocolate forever and be okay, but cheese? Cannot. Imagine.

Have you considered raw dairy? A very good friend of mine suffered from asthma and severe allergies. They switched to raw milk and within a few months, she stopped taking zyrtec and benadryl. Pretty amazing.

Have you considered raw dairy? A very good friend of mine suffered from asthma and severe allergies. They switched to raw milk and within a few months, she stopped taking zyrtec and benadryl. Pretty amazing.

Lol! Did you notice my signature line? We own a dairy farm, and all of our household milk is raw milk. :) With that said, I don't drink milk. I just don't need the extra calories, and since it's not my favorite (I'd rather have water), I just don't drink milk. My dairy consumption comes mainly in the form of cheese.

Lol! Did you notice my signature line? We own a dairy farm, and all of our household milk is raw milk. :) With that said, I don't drink milk. I just don't need the extra calories, and since it's not my favorite (I'd rather have water), I just don't drink milk. My dairy consumption comes mainly in the form of cheese.

WOW!! You are blessed to have access to raw milk. Is it from grass-fed moo-cows? If so, I wouldn't worry about the calories. We switched to raw whole milk and I haven't gained weight at all, in fact, I've lost some weight.

Okay... I need to stop. I am completely jealous over here. Raw milk is so $$!!!