Menu

Oxford World in Ancient Times & Medieval sets

mo2

How do you use these books? Do you just have your students read, or do you read aloud? Are there worksheets, quizzes, that sort of thing? And what age level? Amazon says 6th through 10th. Do you find that to be about right?

Thanks.

There are both teaching guides and student guides for each of the books, which Amazon.com sells. The teaching guides are very thorough with background information, discussion questions, chapter tests, suggestions for research, writing, and related literature. There are also student reproducibles in the teacher guide (one per chapter). The student guides have independent work for each chapter. They include covering the main people and dates, vocabulary work, lots of comprehension type skills (e.g. cause/effect, fact vs opinion, drawing conclusions), working with primary sources, sometimes map skills. All answers are in the teaching guide.

Louise

We used the Ancient set this year. We read a chapter a day and outlined, and discussed the books, but we didn't get the student and teacher guides (they're pretty expensive). We'll use the Medieval and Early Modern set for the next two years.

I can't recommend these books highly enough. My boys learned a lot with them and I enjoyed reading them too (although we all thought the ancient China book was a bit dry). I've been looking ahead to the Medieval books and have been very impressed again. For example, I've never seen a book geared for children/teens that covers Sufism as well as this set does.

I am having trouble with amazon. Anyone care to link the pages for these books and accessories? I would love to peek at them.

student guide link: http://www.amazon.com/Student-Study-Guide-Ancient-Greek/dp/0195221605/ref=pd_sim_b_1#_

Teaching guide link (but doesn't offer option to look inside): http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Guide-Ancient-Greek-World/dp/0195178947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279593461&sr=1-1

Louise

Oh man, the student and teacher guides sound wonderful. My drooling has turned to full blown LUST!

They are both well done, but there is more work there than one can possibly cover. There are something like 8 books not including the resource volume in the Ancient series. So that gives you only 4-5 weeks max per book unless you school year round. Each book has around 25 chapters. They aren't long but they are loaded with information. While they are more expensive, if I had to chose one of the resources, I would go with the teacher's guide. Where they will help you is in teaching concepts like the various graphic organizers or determining fact from fiction. They are as much about teaching skills that home schoolers sometimes overlook as they are about teaching content. You could also save yourself some money and just read and discuss. Either way, you will have plenty of work. The guides just give you some concrete output.

They are both well done, but there is more work there than one can possibly cover. There are something like 8 books not including the resource volume in the Ancient series. So that gives you only 4-5 weeks max per book unless you school year round. Each book has around 25 chapters. They aren't long but they are loaded with information. While they are more expensive, if I had to chose one of the resources, I would go with the teacher's guide. Where they will help you is in teaching concepts like the various graphic organizers or determining fact from fiction. They are as much about teaching skills that home schoolers sometimes overlook as they are about teaching content. You could also save yourself some money and just read and discuss. Either way, you will have plenty of work. The guides just give you some concrete output.

:iagree: that if you have to go with one, go with the teacher's guides. I haven't seen them, but from Lisa's description, they sound useful. I do have a couple of student guides that I got to check out, and I was completely underwhelmed - very thin, and almost exclusively fill-in-the-blank questions. Sounds like the teacher's guides are where the meat are.

I'm using the Oxford books as supplements to K12HO and I'm using the teacher/student guides from the K12 program rather than the Oxford (ends up being much cheaper - I only had to buy a student/teacher guide for one book rather than 6-8 books for a year).

I agree that trying to use all the teacher guides would be overkill. I bought the Asian World to use this fall as part of our Asian Studies. I did buy the teacher guide and it has some good tips, lots of stuff for classroom use.

In the teaching books each chapter has a short section for:

chapter summary

performance objectives

building background

vocabulary

working with primary sources

reading comprehension questions

critical thinking questions

social sciences

reading and language arts

writing

supporting learning

extended learning

There are sidebar commentaries with:

cast of characters

then and now

linking disciplines

literature connection

literacy tips

Then there are blackline masters for a worksheet, primary source worksheet, and a chapter test.

There is also an area for group projects and a section of blank graphic organizers.

IMO, if you were going to go into depth into one area it might be worth buying the TG for that book.

I talked to my librarian about the set and told her how great they are and that there is only a single set in all of our entire library system. She said to give the info to the desk and they'll look into it. Last time I did that, the book I gave them was then on the shelf w/in 3 weeks!!! Keep your fingers crossed. At my library, I get 3 month check out time!

Thanks everyone :) Lots to think about.

My count is 7 book in the series plus the source book, is that right?

Early Human

Egypt

Greece

Rome

Near Asia

South Asia

China

Is that right?

Almost... there's one more, Ancient America - exact titles are:

The Early Human World

The Ancient Near Eastern World

The Ancient Egyptian World

The Ancient South Asian World

The Ancient Chinese World

The Ancient Greek World

The Ancient Roman World

The Ancient American World

And of course the Primary Source and Reference Volume for the series.

I'm using the Oxford books as supplements to K12HO and I'm using the teacher/student guides from the K12 program rather than the Oxford (ends up being much cheaper - I only had to buy a student/teacher guide for one book rather than 6-8 books for a year).

Wow, I think I'm officially a history junkie. I was reading your post the other day...I just bought the K12HO with the student/teacher guides. I happened to be talking to K12 about something else and realized that I can get the 15% off. I really need to quit reading these threads.:tongue_smilie:I guess I could look at it as saving me money, $102 compared to $30 for each guide with the oxford books. :D

Edited by melmichigan

• 5 months later...
I agree that trying to use all the teacher guides would be overkill. I bought the Asian World to use this fall as part of our Asian Studies. I did buy the teacher guide and it has some good tips, lots of stuff for classroom use.

In the teaching books each chapter has a short section for:

chapter summary

performance objectives

building background

vocabulary

working with primary sources

reading comprehension questions

critical thinking questions

social sciences

reading and language arts

writing

supporting learning

extended learning

There are sidebar commentaries with:

cast of characters

then and now

linking disciplines

literature connection

literacy tips

Then there are blackline masters for a worksheet, primary source worksheet, and a chapter test.

There is also an area for group projects and a section of blank graphic organizers.

IMO, if you were going to go into depth into one area it might be worth buying the TG for that book.

Update! How are you liking this book? :bigear:

Update! How are you liking this book? :bigear:

Honestly we have started it yet. :lol: It's in the line up for this year, but we are woefully behind and still in Ancient China. I saw your question and would love to answer it more completely.

I did preview several of the other books at the library and I like the layout. We have not used them so I can't speak to their effectiveness for us, but they seem to be one of the more promising options for logic stage history.

Honestly we have started it yet. :lol: It's in the line up for this year, but we are woefully behind and still in Ancient China. I saw your question and would love to answer it more completely.

I did preview several of the other books at the library and I like the layout. We have not used them so I can't speak to their effectiveness for us, but they seem to be one of the more promising options for logic stage history.

Oh. Bummer.

Sorry to call you out on it & everything, though. :lol: My Amazon finger's getting itchy. I really need to just back away from the computer. :w00t:

I want the ancient set to go on sale. We will notify each other if we happen to notice it, right?

I KNOW!!! It's not available through amazon prime shipping. No idea why.

Whoever sees it should post a new thread with a CLEAR note! (I want the set.)

I use them selectivly. For the ancient history we have used (are using) Egypt, Greece and Rome. Those are the cultures my son finds the most interesting and will happily do the extra reading. There is just no way I could get through all of them in a school year.

FWIW, he really likes them.