Menu

So, tell me about Vanderbilt

My middle son (sophomore) got a brochure in from Vanderbilt today and I read it. It says if you get accepted, then they cover 100% of your demonstrated need without need based loans. Needless to say, this caught my eye. We had saved for college, but lost at least half of what we invested in the economic downfall at this point. Hubby's job is barely keeping us afloat at the moment. While I had expected the economy to return more to normal, I'm beginning to be doubtful, so... need based aid might be a factor even in another year or two.

Vanderbilt is a tough school to get in to - I can see that from the stats - but middle son ought to be competitive. He wants Biological or Chemical Sciences - perhaps Pre-Med - all of which Vandy is known for. Considering I'm sending one son outside of Chattanooga, sending another to Nashville could actually be helpful.

YET, Vanderbilt gets a "Yellow Light" when it comes to being open to conservative thinking as per "The Right Guide to College." Someday I'll hop by the bookstore and see why they feel it deserves caution.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me a little more about the school? I know "of" it by name and have read the stats on Collegeboard and Princeton Review, but that's it at this point. Any other thoughts - here or by pm - would be welcome.

Vandy just might replace the University of Rochester as #1 choice (on my list anyway - middle son is gone for 7 more days so hasn't seen the brochure or checked them out yet).

Vanderbilt is a tough school to get in to - I can see that from the stats - but middle son ought to be competitive. He wants Biological or Chemical Sciences - perhaps Pre-Med - all of which Vandy is known for.

My dd loved our visit to Vanderbilt! Unfortunately, despite being in the top 1% on her ACT, 4.0 (two years homeschool, two years good public school), and very intensive extra-curriculars and service, she was wait-listed for liberal arts. Biology is much more competitive.

At this point in economic history, all schools are experiencing record numbers of applications. The result is that really great students are being turned down in record numbers. Take their published acceptance rates and cut them in half.

All that having been said, I think dd would have gone there if she had gotten in outright. Strong school, and she really liked the atmosphere. The campus is in the city, but isolated. Very safe. It felt more conservative than the other schools we visited, at least culturally, but I can't really speak to the classroom idologies. Greek life is important. The student population didn't have the same racial or international mix that we experienced at other top tier schools. I'm sure minority and international students are there, but in our two days at the school, we simply didn't experience the integrated diversity that was very prominent elsewhere. Not a value judgement, just an observation.

My dd loved our visit to Vanderbilt! Unfortunately, despite being in the top 1% on her ACT, 4.0 (two years homeschool, two years good public school), and very intensive extra-curriculars and service, she was wait-listed for liberal arts. Biology is much more competitive.

At this point in economic history, all schools are experiencing record numbers of applications. The result is that really great students are being turned down in record numbers. Take their published acceptance rates and cut them in half.

All that having been said, I think dd would have gone there if she had gotten in outright. Strong school, and she really liked the atmosphere. The campus is in the city, but isolated. Very safe. It felt more conservative than the other schools we visited, at least culturally, but I can't really speak to the classroom idologies. Greek life is important. The student population didn't have the same racial or international mix that we experienced at other top tier schools. I'm sure minority and international students are there, but in our two days at the school, we simply didn't experience the integrated diversity that was very prominent elsewhere. Not a value judgement, just an observation.

Many thanks for your assessment. I definitely know that acceptance even with scores well within their stats is no guarantee. From what we were told, the vast majority of applicants to these very selective schools are well within the stats and they still have their low acceptance rate. Nonetheless, from what you've written, I think we'll keep Vandy on our check out list. It should be rather easy to work in a visit combined with a trip to Emory this coming spring (not same day, of course, just same trip).

Right now U of Rochester, Vandy, Emory, & Rice are on (my) top list to check out in person. He might have a few others. We'll definitely need to come up with some sort of safety... We picked those based on their being well known for research and well known for offering aid to accepted students - plus not having red lights when it comes to conservative political tolerance. U of R is green. The others are yellow. Red scratches a school off the list for us.

V. was my ds's long shot - we had him apply since that financial aid looked so good!

Well - he did not get in - they said they had over 20,000 apply!!!

So - it is worth trying...but so think a great many other people, too, alas. So if he applies be sure to apply elsewhere, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually work at Vanderbilt, though not in the student side of things. So, I can tell you that, yes, they are committed to making sure that all students are able to afford Vanderbilt's tuition (no student loans, they will cover the difference of what a family can afford vs. Vandy tuition, which is crazy expensive). And, yes, they also have tons and tons of applications because of this (and because it is a good school)...their acceptance rate has been getting lower and lower every year.

So, I would definitely agree that you should apply, but also have a back-up plan! Let me know if you have any other questions about the school in general...I don't know anything about the classroom experience, but I do know that the student body is known for being fairly conservative. And I would agree with others who say that it is a safe campus...I work there, so I should know!

I think they're looking for diversity...two very good friends both had children accepted...one last year and one this year, both were homeschooled...one female/one male...so not so sure it's that difficult..these kids had something special...one child helped lead a speech/debate club for years...had a lot of extracurricular experiences and probably blew her interview out of the water...the other is an accomplished musician...it can be done, but they may be looking for diversity not just academics alone.

Tara

I graduated from Vanderbilt.

I'm clueless about what you are saying about the financial aid/helps. This is a change from when I was there. It was expensive then (I think my graduate program was around $30k/year --- not including living expenses,etc). My parents paid for all but the final $17k which is the only way it was do-able. (I married at the "final 17k" park thus spouse and I took over the rest of the educational costs as we agreed my parents shouldn't continue to pay my way once I was married).......(i digress).

Educationally, Vanderbilt's tremendous. I'm a SAHM now, but in my career days, my co-workers (who had obtained degrees from other schools ) even verbalized on numerous occasions how well I "knew my stuff." Can't complain an iota in that area.

If you're a conservative Christian, the Vanderbilt INSTITUTION is liberal.

It's not as liberal as Harvard/Yale/Cornell, but it's by no means conservative. For example: I recall attending a lecture at the divinity school (not my major, just had some time to kill) and the phD/professor referred to her own lesbianism throughout. The general tone is very accepting/tolerant of any/all lifestyles, etc. It is BY NO MEANS a Christian institution. I'm thinking now if I had any "Christian" professors and I cannot think of one.

Having said that, I can think of several (hesitate to use the word MANY) of my classmates who were Christians (true/sincere/walked-the-walk).

Several of these Christians had transferred in from Westmont, Wheaton, Gordon, etc. as these schools (and Vandy) consisted in some sort of consortium. I definitely wasn't the only Christian, but I was (as in the real world) in the minority.

So.....in short, if your son goes there he will meet ALL kinds, but I wouldn't expect Christians to be THE NORM. I will say this: if your son is not FIRMLY grounded in his faith/theology/apologetics I would hesitate to send him there (or to any liberal school) as NO DOUBT the undergrad professors in the "CORE" subjects will most likely be extremely liberal; most of the professors (Undergrad&grad) will be liberals, but the undergrad years are when the kids are youngest/most impressionable/easily derailed. Some non-believers may read this and wonder why I'd say that....but many-a-kid has gone off to college and had their first taste of liberals and end up as atheists/agnostics because they attempt to REASON their faith. And....they get tripped up in attempting to do so b/c faith is just that --- FAITH. You can't explain the virgin birth, the Trinity, the resurrection. You either believe these bedrocks or you don't. Young people are particularly vulnerable/impressionable.

Before I forget....if you do tour Vandy, you may be interested in walking the underground labyrinth/halls. Has an intricate underground linkage system. Pretty interesting and useful (esp in storms).

Nashville is a great town with great weather and plenty of interesting things to do. One surprise.....few restaurants served sweet tea! (I'm from MS so this is no small matter to us:lol:).

I don't know if this helped. If you have any more questions, just type them here.

Thanks to all for the extremely useful information! No, we haven't visited any colleges this son is specifically interested in yet. He's just starting his junior year, so we'll be making our visitation rounds in the spring. It sounds like Vandy will definitely be on our list - as is U of R. This son is looking for science research or pre-med. Vandy seems to fit that bill well - if he can get in.

My dd was accepted Pre-med at Vanderbilt for next year. We got a reasonable need based offer---for our situation----but no merit aid. Her friend got accepted with a full scholarship---she is one of those absolutely phenomonal kids. One small note about their aid---If you have any outside scholarships that is the first thing that is applied to your need.

In terms of money my dd did better at less competitive schools where she recieved merit aid---but this will depend on your economic situation. For instance, she got a really generous merit offer from Case Western Reserve. This is a good school if you are interested in medical/biological research.

She's going to Wash U in St. Louis---my dh is employed there and we get free tuition.

Thanks to all for the extremely useful information! No, we haven't visited any colleges this son is specifically interested in yet. He's just starting his junior year, so we'll be making our visitation rounds in the spring. It sounds like Vandy will definitely be on our list - as is U of R. This son is looking for science research or pre-med. Vandy seems to fit that bill well - if he can get in.

U of R is a great school for pre-med and has an excellent med school. I know a bunch of people who work or used to work there.

May I ask what about U of R appeals to you both?

just curious.

For my middle son, it's because they are well-known for letting undergrads get involved in some serious research - not just lab rats or cleaning cages, but actual research. Then too, they have more of an open curriculum to be able to take courses that appeal to them instead of a more rigid core. Plus, they get a green light for political diversity (meaning they are supposed to tolerate conservative viewpoints well even if prof's aren't necessarily conservative). And they appear on Inside College.com's list of colleges that go the extra mile to make it financially possible to attend.

Actually, their only downsides appear to be their location (weather) and that college confidential says they are a party school. But, I doubt he'll find the "perfect" place, so they remain high up on his list. We're going to try to visit them in Feb instead of later spring. We'll see what he thinks then as to whether he will apply next fall or not. Meanwhile, both he and I are generally looking and searching for other similar schools to consider - hence the Vandy qu here and the Ivy question from a few days ago. We're also considering Emory, maybe Davidson, maybe Brandeis, and have eliminated Rice (their drinking culture turned him way off, plus it's further away from home).

From other comments here, we'll also check into Case Western, but we're on vacation now, visiting family, so that will wait until we get home. Most of the places we've been checking out are due to brochures he's received from either his sophomore PSAT or ACT. I don't know if he got one from Case and wasn't interested or didn't get one. I'll have to ask (he's still asleep now). He keeps them all, so when we get home, he can check.

I live in the Rochester area. The weather is really not too bad (yes it is cold and there is snow but I think Philly got it worse this year than we did) and if the student is living on campus that makes it even easier. As for being a party school that really surprised me. Out of all the schools in the area (7 or so) I think of U of R being the least of a party school. You do find parties at all schools or off campus that just goes with College. Even the Christian school in the area has a few hard core party people, they just get around the rules by visiting freinds at other colleges.

Have you considered Westmont (Santa Barbara) or Gordon College (Massachusettes)? I don't know how their pre-med department are but I know they're known for good Christian atmospheres and are highly respected (educationally).

I live in the Rochester area. The weather is really not too bad (yes it is cold and there is snow but I think Philly got it worse this year than we did) and if the student is living on campus that makes it even easier. As for being a party school that really surprised me. Out of all the schools in the area (7 or so) I think of U of R being the least of a party school. You do find parties at all schools or off campus that just goes with College. Even the Christian school in the area has a few hard core party people, they just get around the rules by visiting freinds at other colleges.

My Aunt lives in Rochester and most of my family lives in various parts of upstate NY (true upstate, not Albany-ish), so we're fairly well aware of the weather. I grew up more upstate and have enjoyed my "escape" to PA weather-wise. My boys were all born in FL and seem to have gotten a "southern" gene out of it. In general, they prefer a college being more south than us. On Mother's Day, when we were visiting my grandmother and middle son saw snow, the first thing he said is, "Maybe I should reconsider U of R!" However, I think he still has an open mind to it and would love the research aspect.

I'm really glad to know it's not considered a party school locally. I certainly didn't think it was one. I ran it past my Aunt and she didn't think it was either. I have no idea WHY College Confidential labels it one. We'll definitely consider that their labeling might not match ours.

Right now I think it's tied with Vandy as being top on his list, but there are others he's considering. Baylor is on there too. I'd forgotten to mention that one before. Now that he's no longer considering Rice it's going to be tougher to visit Baylor. I had planned to visit both on the same trip. We'll see how the time and finances go in the spring.

Have you considered Westmont (Santa Barbara) or Gordon College (Massachusettes)? I don't know how their pre-med department are but I know they're known for good Christian atmospheres and are highly respected (educationally).

No, we haven't really considered either of them. I don't particularly want him going out to CA or much outside the eastern US (TX is probably as far as I'd consider) and if he wants a small Christian school without much in research, he likes Covenant and will probably get decent aid from them since his brother did. He's going to have to decide if he prefers the atmosphere of Covenant or the research available at larger schools. I can't make that decision for him.

He is taking three science classes this year (Advanced Chem, Anatomy, and Microbio) to try to figure out more precisely which direction appeals to him the most. Then he might be able to zero in on a smaller college with that specific research (even if it's not Covenant, but Covenant has an 85% acceptance rate to med school). Otherwise, a larger school with a variety is probably in his better interest. Fortunately, all will have decent Christian clubs associated with them. I just want to be certain he won't be put down by his views (hence, caring about political climate from profs). He may opt to change his views, but if so, I want it to be of his desire, not some sort of pressure to succeed. I came from a very liberal family and have changed my views to more conservative based on my experiences in life. He's welcome to do the same if he so desires.