Menu

Is anyone else in a district that does have 8 credits as "normal" - not "heavy"?

I hear ya on the other threads...

And, I admit, my son is either gonna love me or hate me when he gets back from summer camp and sees the difference between his mom-planned history and lit from last year (Like WHOA - what was I thinking?) and the MFW-planned history and lit for next year (yeah - if he works as hard on this as he did last year, he'll be done by Christmas...)

OK - so we've got some adjustments to make in our thinking. And, maybe my IRL All-ABeka-mom friend (whose son is always done by 10am) will soon be adding some extra smirk to her "I told ya so" look. :lol:

BUT ------- that doesn't negate the fact that students in our district are earning 8 credits a year, and that those are the students that my DS will competing with to get into college. (if he stays in-state, which I admit I don't know *where* he's going)

I just feel so much pressure to earn 8 real credits a year! Am I the only one?????

You're not the only one. I haven't thought of it in terms of how many credits to earn each year, but I have thought about it in terms of what subjects should be covered and to what depth. Putting that into credits comes out to about 8 for us, for this coming year anyway. Hopefully some of the other years will be lighter - that's the goal anyway.

It seems to be 6+ for college bound where I live. Six is the minimum. If I'm honest with myself, I do feel pressure to keep up with the kids that are in the special programs at our public school. There are some very academically advanced programs here and like you, my son will be competing with those kids. I don't want him to fall short.

BUT...what I really feel the most pressure about is the need to make sure he's ready for college (it seems we have so many skills yet to master), and to cover all the things that I feel are important before he leaves home. Plus, what about all those lovely things in TWTM that are supposed to be covered? It's my last chance, ya know! It's not that I want to saddle him with 8 credits - it's just that everything I want to do doesn't fit in a neat package of 5-6. I've got to cut my own list down for 9th. I've still got a year to pray about it and to keep massaging it down. I knew I'd need that much time - because I tend to do too much now with ds. That's why I'm seeking advice now and trying to look at what others do. I know there are kids that can do the 8 credits - but I don't believe my son is that type of student. I have to be honest with myself. There's another post below on a similar topic and LoriD gave a great response. I have a lot to pray about.

I don't have a solution for you, but I understand the dilemna.

BUT ------- that doesn't negate the fact that students in our district are earning 8 credits a year,

So they are graduating with 32 credits? Our state requires 24 (I think - last time I checked). Do you think they are being overly generous in awarding credits perhaps for courses that aren't all that rigorous?

I remember being awarded a credit for working in the attendance office! Worked well for me, but it wasn't anything academic...but was considered a privilege because one had to be nominated by ones teachers.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

My kids are always going to have 8 credits (or more) if you count Bible and PE (each 1 credit) because our history curricula is a unit study that generates many credits.

We're in one of those 8 credit districts so we do the same for my boys. I never thought of doing anything differently. Some of the credits are tough (core 4, languages, etc), others are relatively easy (PE, Drivers Ed, Health, Art, Music) - same as ps. So far my boys have been competitive with test scores for colleges and merit aid, so I'm not changing a thing. In another year I'll know how well-prepared oldest son felt. He thought his cc class was a bit easier than he expected.

I just checked the high school ds would attend in our district, and they have 7 periods a day (one is only 30 min. a day; would that be an elective?). So they would be getting at most 7 credits a year. When ds graduates, the state will require 22 credits. I am planning to have him take 7 credits a year in high school, so he will actually have 28.

Wendi

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I just checked the private school my ISP is associated with and they require a minimum of 7 credits/year (this includes Bible & PE). There are 8 periods/day so 8 are possible and probably the "norm."

The ps high school my kids would attend has 7 periods. Their requirements are so low they are embarrassing.

Well, not our current district, but my high school used and still uses 8 credits per year as the norm. You can choose take a free block or period and do 7 credits instead, but all the highly motivated students fill up their schedule with the 8 credits. They just take extra language, math, or music/fine arts to get ahead.

Around here, 8 credits per year is possible at the public high schools because of block scheduling. The classes are 90 minutes a day for a semester. If the student takes 4 courses each semester, they get 8 credits for the year.

I hate block scheduling with a passion so we won't be doing it that way.

Pegasus

Here it is 8 credits per year possible. The state requires 24 for graduation. Our schools do not use a block schedule, so that is 8, 45 min periods/day. I plan 6-7 credits/year. It will make my kids end up with somewhere between 26-28 total and if there are a few more courses they want, we'll do them as summer school. I don't think you can cover many subjects in adequate depth if you try to cram in 8 credits at a time. However, if you are counting some light credits like PE, bible and fine arts you may be fine.

We plan a minimum of 6. That is what was normal here, in FL, NM and at base high school overseas. I believe that either here or in FL, there was an optional 7th course. Now that said, my kids always end up with more than 24 because of summer classes or some outside class that ends up being done enough for credit.

Around here, 8 credits per year is possible at the public high schools because of block scheduling. The classes are 90 minutes a day for a semester. If the student takes 4 courses each semester, they get 8 credits for the year.

Pegasus

To compare "apples to apples" (your credit to the school's credit), you need to know what exactly the school credit means. When you do the math, that school's credit means each 1 credit class equals 135 hours of class time.

So, if you need to have 8 credits per year on your transcript (to match what the schools do), your credits need to match what the school credits look like -- which is 135 hours per 1 credit class.

But no need to block schedule; you can accomplish that in a lot of ways:

- 3.75 hours per week for 36 weeks

- or a 1.25 hour (75 min.) class, 3x/week, for 36 weeks

- or a 0.93 hour (56 min.) class, 4x/week, for 36 weeks

- or a 0.75 (45 min.) class, 5x/week, for 36 weeks

Hope that helps put the credits into perspective! Warmest regards, Lori D.

So they are graduating with 32 credits? Our state requires 24 (I think - last time I checked). Do you think they are being overly generous in awarding credits perhaps for courses that aren't all that rigorous?

I remember being awarded a credit for working in the attendance office! Worked well for me, but it wasn't anything academic...but was considered a privilege because one had to be nominated by ones teachers.

They are on block scheduling - which means they do 4 classes each semester. And, each class earns a full credit.

Although I would guess most kids are taking two academic and two elective classes, this practice allows the district to graduate some kids with Associate degrees. (We live in a really nice school district.) But, this type of experimentation is one reason I won't send my kid back to public school. He could wind up, for example, taking a foreign language or a math the Fall Semester of 9th grade, and then not taking the next level up until Spring Semester of 10th grade. This does happen, and when it does, there is nothing you can do.

So, I don't think *every* class is academic, no. But all kids are earning 32 credit hours. And, they are taking "real" classes, even if they are "Introduction to Theatre" or "Horticulture." Though, to be fair, our schools are also offering "Forensics" and "Analysis and Statistics" - things you never see offered in homeschool catalogs - LOL!

In our district, the three top high schools are on a traditional schedule with students earning 6 credits per year. Most take PE in summer school or through the VA so they graduate with 25 credits. The other high schools are on block or modified block with students earning eight credits per year. The three top schools' students are not having problems getting into the top state schools--UGA and Georgia Tech. They also are getting into Ivies, etc.

Many students at the block schools are taking more electives or mentorship or minimum day by their senior year.

Pegasus

Block scheduling is the main reason why we are homeschooling through high school. Well, that and the fact that my DS seems to become another person around girls - but that's another story ;). I won't even consider the christian school that's in our county because it follows the public school's example and uses block scheduling as well.

Are you just doing 6 credits each year, then, even though the high school is on block scheduling? If so, that would be very encouraging!

I know it would seem like if I live in a "really good" school district and still choose to home school that I would be an "independent" enough person to go against the grain on this one little thing - but I'm really not a very "independent" person, I suppose - LOL! I need a buddy!!!

... students in our district are earning 8 credits a year, and that those are the students that my DS will competing with to get into college.... I just feel so much pressure to earn 8 real credits a year! Am I the only one?????

But Rhonda, are you really comparing REAL credits?

How exactly are those students in your district earning 8 credits a year -- is that 8 one-hour classes a day, 5 days a week?? I don't think so. I can't imagine they are in classes more than 6 hours a day. That drops each of those 8 classes to just 45 minutes per class per day. Even if you add in time for homework that the school assigns, did you remember to take OUT time from that 45-minute class for daily announcements, interruptions, cancelled classes (for rallies, special events, getting out of class to travel by bus for team sport away games, etc. etc)? Homework most likely just about brings that class time back UP to 45-minutes of work, 5 days a week. So a public school's 45-min/day, 5x/week class is a 1-credit class that takes just 3.75 hours per week, or 135 hours over the 36-week school week.

In comparison, at your house, DS probably puts in at least 5 hours a week on his history credit, let's say. That's a total of 180 hours, which is (25% more hours). Well, be fair and compare that to the local school district -- your History credit needs to be 25% more than the public schools' History credit, so your History credit equals 1.25 credit of work by the district's standards. So when you make up your transcript for the state institutions, be honest, accurate and competitive -- make what your credits reflect what your DS really DID accomplish, and counted in the same way the local schools' count credits. Anything less than that IS unfair to your student.

And I would be sure to include somewhere on the transcript a notation that explains you matched the district's method of counting credits to accurately reflect what your DS accomplished.

BEST of luck in your new school year, Rhonda! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I don't have an answer because I am looking for the answer to "how many credits in high school and in what subjects". The answers I just got on another post is 5-7 credits/year.

What is MFW??

My Father's World.

There is a link in my signature.

In our district, the three top high schools are on a traditional schedule with students earning 6 credits per year. Most take PE in summer school or through the VA so they graduate with 25 credits. The other high schools are on block or modified block with students earning eight credits per year. The three top schools' students are not having problems getting into the top state schools--UGA and Georgia Tech. They also are getting into Ivies, etc.

Many students at the block schools are taking more electives or mentorship or minimum day by their senior year.

:tongue_smilie:

I think you teach in my district (Cobb County), don't you?

I didn't realize the schools were split that way. That helps! Obviously, I'll give credit for last year's work - LOL! - but I really want to simplify things for next year. Do less, but do it better (hopefully).

Thanks for posting!

So, if you need to have 8 credits per year on your transcript (to match what the schools do), your credits need to match what the school credits look like -- which is 135 hours per 1 credit class.

Our ps doesn't give that much time to a credit. Kids are on Block Scheduling and each class is only 85 minutes long at most - then subtract time for announcements, etc. IF kids were in class all 90 days of each semester and IF no time were lost at all, then the most hours they would get is 127.5 (85/60 *90). However, that best case scenario NEVER applies.

Each semester we have testing (generally 1 or 2 weeks gone), fun days, occasional snow days or delays (which are worse since those don't get made up), assemblies, days immediately before a vacation, days with an unqualified sub and other such things. Those "real" hours are getting shorter and shorter.

I give credits based on courses being completed. Period. My boys probably spend a bit more time than their ps counterparts, but they are getting the rewards in their education (simply knowing the subject at hand) and merit aid for colleges. I see no need to give them more credits just because our ps is rather pathetic.

Are you just doing 6 credits each year, then, even though the high school is on block scheduling? If so, that would be very encouraging!

I know it would seem like if I live in a "really good" school district and still choose to home school that I would be an "independent" enough person to go against the grain on this one little thing - but I'm really not a very "independent" person, I suppose - LOL! I need a buddy!!!

We'll do 6 credits during the year and another credit during the summer term.

Pegasus

But Rhonda, are you really comparing REAL credits?

....Anything less than that IS unfair to your student.

And I would be sure to include somewhere on the transcript a notation that explains you matched the district's method of counting credits to accurately reflect what your DS accomplished.

BEST of luck in your new school year, Rhonda! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oh...:001_unsure:...I think I have decided that it's a good thing my health issues came along and prompted a change for next year.

Thanks, Lori!

I'm surprised that schools are giving 1 credit for PE. Years ago, it was twice a week and we got 1/4 credit each year - for a total of 1 credit for 4 years of high school. Are they really having class every day? Otherwise, I don't know how the time would add up to a credit as there is minimal homework. :001_huh:

Oh...:001_unsure:...I think I have decided that it's a good thing my health issues came along and prompted a change for next year.

Thanks, Lori!

Oh dear, I think what I said came out as a slam, and I *really* meant to compliment you, because I KNOW you guys work hard, and do WAY MORE than your public schools do! I was hoping the comparison would help you see how much you do!! So sorry that what I said made you feel LESS sure! NOT what I intended! [::doh!:: -- insert sound of hand smacking forehead here]

So sorry to hear you are having health issues! Hope this new year goes SMOOTHLY in all areas! My very warmest regards, Lori

Oh dear, I think what I said came out as a slam, and I *really* meant to compliment you, because I KNOW you guys work hard, and do WAY MORE than your public schools do! I was hoping the comparison would help you see how much you do!! So sorry that what I said made you feel LESS sure! NOT what I intended! [::doh!:: -- insert sound of hand smacking forehead here]

So sorry to hear you are having health issues! Hope this new year goes SMOOTHLY in all areas! My very warmest regards, Lori

No - no - no!!!!

Sorry - I have just been in a mood to wax philosophical lately, and have seen my name at the end of so many threads....

:lol::lol::lol:

I had actually deleted quite a long post because I wasn't sure how other people who might be reading along, and who don't know me very well, might take it. It's just been one of those kind of weeks, ya know?

I think I've actually got it figured out, now that I've (almost) got all the assignments off our weekly grids and into Word documents.

His "history" credit will be for all the history reading he did (60 minutes or more, 4-5 x's/wk not including Bible, which I had originally thought I would include - sometimes including notes) - I'm not planning on giving a separate Bible credit

His "literature" credit will be for reading Ancient literature & writing response or analysis papers

His "english" credit (or I might call it "grammar and composition") will include spelling, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Fix-It Grammar, SWI-C, History Writing Assignments (usually based on IEW/SWI principles), High School Essay Intensive, Elegant Essay (what we did of it), research paper on Julius Caesar

Anyway - no harm - no foul. I didn't really want to bore you with the particulars of everything on this child's transcript. And, I figured no one really cares to hear me tell them all about my new-found, but completely hypocritical, wisdom about choosing *one* spine/method/curriculum and forsaking all others. But you know, I actually scrubbed the bottom of my above-the-stove-top microwave today for the first time since we started homeschooling. :w00t: Maybe that's not earth-shattering - but, hey, it's within my budget - :lol:. And, it's nice to have some time for something besides homeschooling, even if it is cleaning, you know?

Love you, Lori! No worries here!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm surprised that schools are giving 1 credit for PE. Years ago' date=' it was twice a week and we got 1/4 credit each year - for a total of 1 credit for 4 years of high school. Are they really having class every day? Otherwise, I don't know how the time would add up to a credit as there is minimal homework. :001_huh:[/quote']

I don't know about elsewhere but at my local public schools PE is every day.

7 credits per year, in 7 fifty-minute periods in a day. Last year we did either 7.0 or 7.5 depending on what I count as a class and what I count as an extra-curricular... Next year is looking like 7.5 or 8, and I think we're looking at about the same amount for the next couple years.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks Cheryl! I guess things have changed in the past few decades. :tongue_smilie:

If it makes you feel any better that's the way it was when I was in high school several decades ago too :) I have a feeling that's something that varies all over the country.

Just have the peace and confidence to work YOUR plan. There are pros and cons to all high-school plans. Worry will not attract all the pros and repel all the cons. Worry is just worry.

There is no "right" way - as you WELL know by now. There's only the-way-that-is-right-for-you-and-yours. :001_smile: THAT'S our strongest asset in homeschooling. Resist the urge to set that aside for someone else's "better plan." It's like telling Babe Ruth that he really should focus on his fielding - or telling Beethoven that a well-rounded individual should really know how to make furniture. We have the ability to tailor the education to meet the needs and goals of the child and the family. And YES! cleaning around the microwave is important. So is mathematics. Embrace the path of peace between the two. There is mud in the ditch on either side!!!!!:001_smile: And wallowing around in it is overwhelmingly bothersome even after a short stint. Spending years in it because someone somewhere dictates that it be so, grabs no prizes and claims no rewards. Really! There's no payout - not for a momma who knows better.

You are an educated mom who GETS homeschooling. Really! I've hung out with you on these boards for years. While I'm no expert, I think you "get it" if that helps. :001_smile:

So just rock on, Momma! Follow your gut; have a great year; enjoy your journey and your not-so-little-people. They grow. They change. Plans change (THAT is a testimony that you are doing something RIGHT - not wrong!!!).

You DESERVE to look back on these years as a meaningful but sweet experience. Fight regret BEFORE it grows. You know what to do! Just do it! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Enjoy your clean microwave - really - it matters! :001_smile:

I don't feel so much pressure from what other schools schedule for credits in high school. I know in our district it is 7 periods a day (one is lunch/study hall, one is PE, five are academics/electives). They earn up to 6 credits a year. They graduate with 21-24 credits.

For my kids in our homeschool. The rule of thumb is that they are to complete a minimum:

4 credits of English

3 credits of Math

3 credits of Science

3 credits of Social Studies (1 yr World History, 1 yr U.S. History, 1 yr Government/Economics

up to 4 credits of PE (includes Drivers Ed and Health)

up to 7 credits of Electives

I individualize the requirements though.

Ds#1 will likely graduate with 22.5 credits and plans to graduate at end of 10th grade. He plans to major in astrophsyics

English: 4

Math: 4

Social Studies: 3.5

Economics: 0.5

Science 6

Foreign Language: 1

PE/Health 2.5

Computer Elective 1

Dd will probably do 25 credits and graduate at end of 11th grade. She plans to major in music.

English: 4.5

Math: 4

Social Studies: 4

Economics: 0.5

Science 3

Foreign Language: 2

PE/Health 3.5

Music Electives: 3.5

We live in the panhandle of FL. Our local hs has block scheduling and students earn 8 credits per yr. Students take 4 90-min. classes per semester. When we registered our ds, we learned that he could not get into some of his chosen classes and was instead tracked into vocational classes. Nothing wrong with that except that he is college bound and we brought in the test scores to show it.

We have learned that 1) there is a certain amount of "fluff" built into each students schedule. I guess if the classes are accelerated, they need some blow-off classes mixed in? I understand that but I'm not sure colleges will like it.

2) the school has only one foreign language teacher (2,300 students)

3) students can not take classes through FLVS without counselor approval and the classes are in addition to and outside regular school time. No substituting a "fluff" class for something more substantial, like foreign language!

4) the Superintendent wants to raise sales taxes to pay for new technology that is badly needed.

We're very frustrated and will probably pull my son back out before school even starts. Honestly, a dedicated teacher and a good, old-fashioned chalk board goes a lot further in preparing a child for college.

Bottom line, don't worry about ps students racking up more credits. In the end, a solid curriculum looks better than lots of credits filled with fluff.

Denise

Denise that's unbelievable! Honestly I hope that you do pull him so he can get a good education. I wonder what ps parents in your area are having to do to supplement their children's education. 2300 students and one foreign language teacher - that's atrocious. Sounds like they need a lot more than just technology.

I honestly don't know what the other parents are doing. Most parents here are pretty hands-off with their children's education. There are some good classes at the school but in combination with the fluff classes. And, kids are getting into college. Maybe it's a combination of their test scores and dual enrollment or AP.

Our frustration with the AP classes is that they are for English and History. Ds is a math/science kid. The only AP math is Stats. There is one AP science, biology.

Also, we know our son. He will fail if he is not kept challenged.

Anyway, hearing the Superintendent say he needs more money for technology when they don't have enough teachers for basic college prep. courses is maddening. Unless a rabbit is pulled out of a hat in the next few days, we will unregister ds and continue homeschooling him.

Anyone worried about the ps kids earning a large number of credits needs to look carefully at what those credits consist of before feeling too pressured.

Denise