Menu

Doctor or Bed?

Got a virus 1 1/2 weeks ago - had fever for 2 days, sinus congestion, sore throat that went down my entire throat (ie. down the neck part even), bad cough and swollen lymph nodes. I also got really bad pink eye in one eye (this is getting better) but my entire eye is still blood red (Eye Dr. says this is from a burst blood vessel).

Treated it with sinus rinses, extra vitamin C and A and D, sambucus (elderberry extract), decongestant, Mucinex and rest. When my throat got so sore that I was considerable trouble even swallowing, I gave myself some leftover amoxicillin I had for 4 days. It seemed to help my throat (either that or time did).

Now only one spot on my throat hurts but I have a hard time swallowing on that side. (By doing some poking it may be a lymph node - my lymph nodes are still so swollen on that side that I can see them bulging out just by looking in the mirror.)

Today - sinuses so packed that the sinus rinse wouldn't even drain through. I am so tired that I can barely make it out of bed (I have adrenal issues and this puts a huge strain on them). That one side of my throat is not improving.

So - I had planned to call my ENT but I am so tired that it would be a major deal to get there. If I make the effort and he just tells it's viral and to rest, I just might shoot myself (;) to show that I'm only half serious about this). So do I bite the bullet and call the ENT? (Other complications - a friend that I had already rescheduled is supposed to come visit tomorrow on the last day she can of her vacation. I'm supposed to go to the eye Dr. to get my eye checked this afternoon already.)

So - ENT? Bed?

IMO a viral infection that is taking > 1 week to resolve &/or symptoms are getting worse or changing, requires medical assessment. Your fatigue is increasing, your lymph is more swollen & your sinuses are more congested. All reasons to see a dr now.

I'd strongly suspect a bacterial infection has piggy backed on whatever original viral infection you had (assuming it was viral)

May I also gently slap you on the wrist for the amoxicillin self dosing. If you are going to self dose with abx, at least do a full course. Single dosing like this just leads to increased antibiotic resistance.....& soon we won't have any abx which work.

Get thee to a doctor. And I hope you feel better soon.

And as for your friend - I'm sorry but if I were her, I probably would not want to see you, kwim? On her last day of vacation, catching a lingering infection is not usually at the top of the list for 'must do'. Visiting in face masks is not that fun either & really, if you're so tired that you want to stay in bed (which is where you should be except for being driven to the dr) do you really want to be hosting a visit with a friend?

:grouphug: get well soon!

Sounds like a bacterial sinus infection to me. And, taking only 4 days of an antibiotic is not going to make you better.....it can actually make the bacteria that survived the 4 days of penicillin, more resistant to antibiotic treatment. In other words, you may have just made the little guys stronger and nastier. I'd get to the doc, tell them about the antibiotics you took and get a strong scrip for some new ones.

Hope you feel better soon. Sinus infections are miserable.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Jean, so sorry that something else got you - again.

Is this still a consequence of all the treatment you received fairly recently or something completely unrelated?

It's summer - well where I am it is, F98, and I am thinking you should not be be catching all this stuff when the weather is warmer.

Can you go back to your Naturopath (think it was a naturopath??) who dealt with the adrenal fatigue issues and the previous detox. Perhaps they can recommend something to build you up since your immune system seems to have taken a hit.

I may have recommended these before: "Immune Stimulator" by naturessunshine.com. If you go to their website you can print out the ingredients list for most of their products and check with your Doc if he/she would approve the upper dosage suggestions for this supplement. Also, it's very possible that there is a store near you that carries Nature's Sunshine products - you can also search online for that.

As far as the immediate concerns go, I would see a doctor, either an allopathic one or a naturopath to make sure it is not something bacterial. In either case they should be able to provide you with something that spells relief!

:grouphug:

Thanks everyone. I did the eye doctor today. I got back too late to call the ENT. The eye Dr. put me on fairly strong antibiotic drops for my eye. She was startled to see that it is swollen almost shut. She told me that my eye showed signs of having some kind of allergic reaction (the swelling and itching) in addition to bacterial (yellow goop).

I realized that many of my other symptoms with my sinuses are allergic type - I think my throat is actually swollen and so are my sinuses. So I dug out my Flonase that my ENT had told me to use for seasonal allergies and have started that. I'm pretty miserable though. I'll call the Dr. and see if he wants to see me or if I should try the Flonase for awhile. I'm sort of wondering if I need something stronger to get a handle on this inflammation.

Liz - I don't think this is a consequence of the treatment which has been over for a month. I think my body is just generally worn out though. I'll look up that supplement.

And Hornblower and Diane, you are both right about the antibiotic. I should not have self dosed.

I say ENT, and don't shoot yourself if you shouldn't have. It's always better to err on the side of caution. I also think you've been sick for too long now.

Is the weather nice? Can you visit with your friend outside, so you won't have to share your germs?

I'm really sorry you're still sick! In the future, I used oil of oregano for my dh this past winter and it's the first season in multiple years that he didn't end up on inhalers and antibiotics. He has a type of asthma that starts only after a respiratory infection and it leads to bronchitis. If you take the oil at the first sign of a respiratory illness, it supposedly works wonders. It kept him healthy!

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/oregano-oil.html

I say ENT, and don't shoot yourself if you shouldn't have. It's always better to err on the side of caution. I also think you've been sick for too long now.

Is the weather nice? Can you visit with your friend outside, so you won't have to share your germs?

I'm really sorry you're still sick! In the future, I used oil of oregano for my dh this past winter and it's the first season in multiple years that he didn't end up on inhalers and antibiotics. He has a type of asthma that starts only after a respiratory infection and it leads to bronchitis. If you take the oil at the first sign of a respiratory illness, it supposedly works wonders. It kept him healthy!

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/oregano-oil.html

I have a call into my friend. She knew I was sick last week and chose to reschedule. I'll let her know my exact symptoms and let her decide if she wants to come. Meeting outside at a park would be a good compromise if she is comfortable with it.

If she still wants to get together at a park, we'll do that but I'll make an appointment with the ENT. for whatever other day he can fit me in. If she doesn't want to get together and he can fit me in to tomorrow, I'll go then.

And guess what! I'd totally forgotten that we have oil of oregano.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Got a virus 1 1/2 weeks ago - had fever for 2 days, sinus congestion, sore throat that went down my entire throat (ie. down the neck part even), bad cough and swollen lymph nodes. I also got really bad pink eye in one eye (this is getting better) but my entire eye is still blood red (Eye Dr. says this is from a burst blood vessel).

Treated it with sinus rinses, extra vitamin C and A and D, sambucus (elderberry extract), decongestant, Mucinex and rest. When my throat got so sore that I was considerable trouble even swallowing, I gave myself some leftover amoxicillin I had for 4 days. It seemed to help my throat (either that or time did).

Now only one spot on my throat hurts but I have a hard time swallowing on that side. (By doing some poking it may be a lymph node - my lymph nodes are still so swollen on that side that I can see them bulging out just by looking in the mirror.)

Today - sinuses so packed that the sinus rinse wouldn't even drain through. I am so tired that I can barely make it out of bed (I have adrenal issues and this puts a huge strain on them). That one side of my throat is not improving.

So - I had planned to call my ENT but I am so tired that it would be a major deal to get there. If I make the effort and he just tells it's viral and to rest, I just might shoot myself (;) to show that I'm only half serious about this). So do I bite the bullet and call the ENT? (Other complications - a friend that I had already rescheduled is supposed to come visit tomorrow on the last day she can of her vacation. I'm supposed to go to the eye Dr. to get my eye checked this afternoon already.)

So - ENT? Bed?

I vote ENT, last time my throat felt like that I had an abcess in my throat.

Dh and I had the same thing. Hubby took an antibiotic after 2 days of being ill and was better shortly. I had exactly what you described and tried not to go on antibiotics. I made it 5 days. Started on antibiotic yesterday and am starting to feel better after 2 doses, I can still tell my sinuses are congested. I take Flonase yr round and also tried Afrin for 3 days without any help.

I hope you feel better soon!

I was going to say strep. I am just getting over the first strep I've had in years. It's the same--super sore throat, trouble swallowing, fever, baseball sized glands. It's a simple test and you can have it done quickly at a CVS walk-in, etc... Oh, and you can spread it to your eyes as well...

UPDATE: Called friend and explained the situation. She very wisely decided to pass on coming to visit. I've promised to call once all threat of contagion has passed and we'll get together somewhere.

I will call the ENT first thing tomorrow. I ran out of antibiotic and it hurts all the way up to my ear - eustation tube? Anyway, I will let him sort it all out. It's getting way too complicated.

I will go to see the ND sometime this summer. But since the ND is a 4 hour plane ride away, it will have to be scheduled well ahead of time. He will retest me for chronic stuff and we'll see where we go from there.

I'm starting to get paranoid about getting us well again. I'm now bleaching our toothbrushes every night.

Thanks Jean! I hope the ENT gets you feeling better! :grouphug:

Some NDs (actually all that I have been to) will test a saliva sample in the mail. :)

He's done a couple of things long distance but now wants to actually see me for the next step. Since it may be combined with I.V. therapy (provided he thinks I'm healthy enough this time) I have to be there anyway.