Menu

Index cards....ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thundersweet

Not only index cards, but now the construction paper is super thin too !

I purchased construction paper from two different companies and they were so thin I could no longer use them for the purpose in which I intended them to be used.

It is really a disapointment when you can no longer find good quality items !

:rant:

I have wanted to ask this same question! I bought some index cards for perhaps the first time since I was in school and I was shocked at how thin they were! I remember how much stronger and thicker they were back in "the old days" and I am only 28!! I knew I wasn't imagining things; they are nothing like what I used in elementary school. I would love to find some that don't just feel like paper.:bigear:

I no longer buy "store brand" index cards for this very reason. I have found that the mead cards are a bit thicker. I recommend that after you purchase them, slit the end of the package and pull one part way out. If it isn't what you want, return them. Most stores will take items back when the quality doesn't meet your expectations.

If you can get by with smaller cards (3"x1") I like the Vis-Ed Blank Cards that you can get from Amazon. They come in boxes of 1000 and are on a 4-for-3-special. They are thick enough to write on with sharpie and it won't bleed through.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Blank-Vocabulary-Cards-Boxed-1000/dp/1556370814/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277836689&sr=8-1

Those would work for vocab or spanish flashcards. I really need some nice thick index cards for our memory box. To make it even harder to find, I would love for them to be 4 x 6. I did see some Mead on Amazon that someone said were thicker but I have to buy $14 worth to find out. I also have heard others say that the colored index cards you buy in the stores are thicker. No experience with this yet but I plan to get some next time I go out.

The brand I linked from Rainbow Resources says they are made from tag board. Whatever that means... but it sounds thick!

Thanks,

Sandy

I bought a bunch of file folders, discounted, from a surplus store last year, and then found a used, really good paper cutter locally. I use these all the time to cut flashcards and other things. You could easily make index cards this way. The file folders I found are quite sturdy.

I just bought a package of Avery White Postcards/Index Cards. They are not super thick and wouldn't work with sharpies, BUT they are great for use with our printer. I print our memory work directly on the cards. They are 4.25"x 5.5". They come in regular 8.5" x 11" sheets but have the micro-perforation.

• 1 year later...
Guest hallyn

I've been scouring the intertubes for days now trying to find thick cards. I figured I'd follow the only suggestion I've found - get a guillotine and card stock. But then wandering around walgreens I found:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/better-office-products-ruled-index-card-book/ID=prod6038692-product

(Better Office Products Ruled Index Card Book)

The page doesn't mention it, but these are really thick! Not cheap, but thick enough to be worth the price.

Not only index cards, but now the construction paper is super thin too !

I purchased construction paper from two different companies and they were so thin I could no longer use them for the purpose in which I intended them to be used.

It is really a disapointment when you can no longer find good quality items !

So true! It doesn't even seem like construction paper to me!

• 2 years later...
Guest ChrisNorstrom

I buy postcards from Vistaprint that are plain white on both sides (design your own-just remove the sample) when I'm ordering other stuff and they have them free or really cheap (especially when I'm over the $50 minimum for free shipping). I also order mostly blank business cards the same way (with one of the default graphics that are light colored)-these are great for vocabulary.

They make them like they used to here. And they cost between $12 and $18 a pack! No cheap ones available *anywhere*. So be careful what you wish for!

Ruth in NZ

That is what I was thinking. I only purchased them to use with OPGTR. They were expensive and seemed an odd choice - now I know why.