Menu

Teen skin care - acne /allergies

My oldest dd has some acne, but she's allergic to Differin (prescription) and ProActiv. They both have Benzoyl Peroxide in them, so I think that's the culprit. She uses products with salicylic acid instead, but they are not as effective. If you or your teens have similar issues, what have you found that worked?

Thanks!

Yes, both of my oldest have acne problem. DD had a reaction to ProActive and her acne isn't terrible so we are just dealing with it. DS has TERRIBLE acne, and has for a few years. He tried ProActive and Retin-A and it didn't work. His doctor sent us to a dermatologist and prescibed him Accutane. DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD BE ON THIS. If you haven't seen the news it is linked to ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease. My son is 17 and was dx with ulcerative colitis in January(he was Accutane about 1 1/2 yrs ago).

Yes, both of my oldest have acne problem. DD had a reaction to ProActive and her acne isn't terrible so we are just dealing with it. DS has TERRIBLE acne, and has for a few years. He tried ProActive and Retin-A and it didn't work. His doctor sent us to a dermatologist and prescibed him Accutane. DO NOT LET YOUR CHILD BE ON THIS. If you haven't seen the news it is linked to ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease. My son is 17 and was dx with ulcerative colitis in January(he was Accutane about 1 1/2 yrs ago).

Thanks for the warning!

That Eat to Live diet by Joel Fuhrman would probably work really well for her skin. Would she be willing to try a diet change?

She is the pickiest eater of all my kids. She's had to make some changes after having undiagnosed digestive issues and then kidney stones, but I doubt I could get her to do Eat to Live. Maybe I will talk to her about the connection between good nutrition and healthy skin, though.

This may sound crazy but my son has been using a 5:1 blend of good quality aloe vera and organic cold-pressed coconut oil. He does not have terrible acne, but it has helped. I have been using coconut oil on my face after washing in the evening and before I put makeup on in the morning, and I'm amazed at how much my complexion has improved. Something to think about, along with eating better. They are connected...as they say...garbage in...garbage out.

Laurie

This may sound crazy but my son has been using a 5:1 blend of good quality aloe vera and organic cold-pressed coconut oil. He does not have terrible acne, but it has helped. I have been using coconut oil on my face after washing in the evening and before I put makeup on in the morning, and I'm amazed at how much my complexion has improved. Something to think about, along with eating better. They are connected...as they say...garbage in...garbage out.

Laurie

Oh that's interesting. The skin care products dd is using now have medical grade aloe vera as their base ingredient, and she feels like her acne has faded. But she still has bumps all the way across her forehead. They really don't even look quite like acne, so I'm not sure if she has something else going on too. There is a trader joe's really close to where I work, so I'll have to check there for the coconut oil.

Have you tried any type of elimination diet?

My 13yo son has outbreaks about every two weeks and then it clears up for a bit, then back again. I'm thinking about eliminating dairy, as recommended in the book Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child. The recommendations are much more complicated than just no dairy, but I wondered if you or anyone might be familiar with this. I read through the section again just the other day. (I have the first edition.) My oldest did not have any acne, so this is new territory.

You might want to see if your library has this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Medicine-Healthier-Child-Janet/dp/1583331395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277774782&sr=8-1

Have you tried any type of elimination diet?

My 13yo son has outbreaks about every two weeks and then it clears up for a bit, then back again. I'm thinking about eliminating dairy, as recommended in the book Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child. The recommendations are much more complicated than just no dairy, but I wondered if you or anyone might be familiar with this. I read through the section again just the other day. (I have the first edition.) My oldest did not have any acne, so this is new territory.

You might want to see if your library has this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Medicine-Healthier-Child-Janet/dp/1583331395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277774782&sr=8-1

We haven't tried that. She eats very little dairy because she is lactose intolerant. I'll see if our library has the book.

Um, have you taken your teen to a dermatologist?

Yes, and the medicine she prescribed caused an allergic reaction. :tongue_smilie: I am going to get her another appointment before she returns to school because her skin has gotten worse in the past few months.

My ds noticed that swimming in our neighborhood saline pool helped his acne tremendously. If you don't have access to one, perhaps soaking in a salt water solution would help. I know it sounds crazy, but I researched the benefits of salt water to acne, and there is something to it.

Also, my son had to stop drinking milk and limit his egg intake, as diary was absolutely breaking his face out.

My ds noticed that swimming in our neighborhood saline pool helped his acne tremendously. If you don't have access to one, perhaps soaking in a salt water solution would help. I know it sounds crazy, but I researched the benefits of salt water to acne, and there is something to it.

Also, my son had to stop drinking milk and limit his egg intake, as diary was absolutely breaking his face out.

I don't know of any saline pools, but we'll try a salt water solution. Thanks for the suggestion! She doesn't drink milk or eat eggs, so those aren't the culprits.

My teen son did not respond to any non-prescription lotions and so he has been on Minocin (a new form of tetracycline), as well as some prescription topical meds. It has been a lifesaver for him, really restoring his emotional health as his skin cleared up.

His family doc said that hormonal issues completely overwhelm some teen skin, and that is the case with my DS (as was the case with his father at his age).

Janet

When we lived at the beach, we knew just where to go for eczema "treatments." Seawater is the best!

I wonder how you could duplicate that effect for a face wash?

When we lived at the beach, we knew just where to go for eczema "treatments." Seawater is the best!

I wonder how you could duplicate that effect for a face wash?

She is going to Myrtle Beach next week. I'll tell her to be sure to float face down for a while every day. :D

My teen son did not respond to any non-prescription lotions and so he has been on Minocin (a new form of tetracycline), as well as some prescription topical meds. It has been a lifesaver for him, really restoring his emotional health as his skin cleared up.

His family doc said that hormonal issues completely overwhelm some teen skin, and that is the case with my DS (as was the case with his father at his age).

Janet

Fortunately, dd's face really doesn't look that bad - just really bumpy, but not red. But I do need to remember to call and make that dermatologist appt, because she returns to school July 19 and I'd like to get it out the way before school starts.

My son has had pretty good luck with BenzaClin. It has clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel. It's the only thing we have found that works. He likes it because it's just one step, twice a day.

We think Benzoyl Peroxide is what she's allergic to. :-( Thank you for the suggestion, though.

I've been using Aczone, and it's done the trick.

The other thing to look into is Vitamin D--- at least that's what I was told :001_smile: My teenager has been taking a Vit. D supplement and it seems to have helped. I also agree with the saline pool---

We've had great luck with the milk and honey attack posted here a while ago. Dd puts milk on her forehead (her trouble area) at night after washing her face with Purpose cleanser; I think it's the lactic acid that is at work there. In the morning before her shower, she puts honey on the same area and lets it be for about 10-20 min (antibacterial properties there) and then just washed it off in the shower. Major improvements!

Even if your child has a dairy allergy, I don't think it would make a difference if not taken internally - not certain about that, of course, so you might check on it.

Haven't tried the saltwater thing yet. I think perhaps I will mix some up and soak a paper towel in it and have her put it on her forehead and see what happens.

Very interesting comments! As I said earlier, I've been using coconut oil (without aleo vera) and have seen some marked improvement, but I'm not 14 (thankgoodness!). Coconut Oil is high in Vitamin A, and I've heard that Vit. A is used in many acne medications. But, man-made vit. A just isn't the same as natures. I would love to hear your results after trying some of these suggestions.

Laurie

Guest Virginia Dawn
My oldest dd has some acne, but she's allergic to Differin (prescription) and ProActiv. They both have Benzoyl Peroxide in them, so I think that's the culprit. She uses products with salicylic acid instead, but they are not as effective. If you or your teens have similar issues, what have you found that worked?

Thanks!

My teen boy had horrible acne which began to clear up when he stopped using soap and acne products. Now he just washes twice a day with warm water, once in the shower and once before bed.

Diet changes helped also. No more cheese for him. He also notices a problem when he eats any kind of greasy junk food like potato chips.

Thank you for all the additional suggestions. Another thing we've tried without seeing any improvement is topical Vitamin E. I'm going to keep a list of these things and we'll try one at a time. DD will be at the beach next week, and she said her face definitely looked better after she was there last year, so we're hoping that will be a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

Elizabeth, if you don't mind your list of things to try getting longer, here are some more tips.

Many skin conditions are common symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding/Bouncing on a Trampoline if you have one

• Deep Breathing

• Dry Body Brushing

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND BE GENTLE

Wash the face with a microfiber cloth and nothing but water (Exfolia Cloth available from amazon or Chinaberry).

Avoid harsh or irritating skin-care products. Treating acne-prone skin gently is the best way to go.

Avoid washing your face with bar soaps or bar cleansers of any kind.

Do not pick at blemishes! I know it's tempting, but doing so can cause the blemish to rupture and increase the chance of scarring.

Avoid subjecting skin to extreme heat or cold. Hot compresses or ice cubes are not the way to treat acne or to encourage healing.

Avoid thick, waxy hairstyling products, especially if your hair usually touches your forehead.

NUTRITION

Less Milk. I know she's a picky eater. But milk is probably the #1 acne culprit. Even organic milk is a problem. Switch to calcium-fortified soy milk and other sources of calcium – spinach, collard greens, tofu, plain yogurt. I used to drink milk like it was going out of style. Then my acne cleared up. If you can, see what happens by eliminating milk for a few weeks.

Sugar - refined sugar - is probably the #2 acne culprit. If that doesn't work, see what happens by eliminating refined sugar. This is hard to do.

Less refined sugars. Candy, soda, pastries, and cookies can be particularly troublesome for those prone to acne.

To clear skin once and for all, first say goodbye to sugar. Then, think zinc. Meat (grass-fed is best) eggs and pumpkin seeds are decent dietary sources.

Acne is inflammation, and inflammatory foods most certainly play a role in acne. Your goal should be to fight inflammation and there are certain things you can do for that - Carlson's Fish Oil, etc. That's all I'm going to say about diet, since, as you mentioned, she is picky. One of the best overall health books I have read recently is The Anti Cancer book - not a book just about cancer, helps you improve your health overall and really goes into detail about inflammation. He talks about how cultures that do not eat sugar, don't have acne. Australian teens who eliminated sugar, saw their acne disappear. That book is sooo good. If I could, I would get a copy for all my friends. It's practical and a message of hope.

Probiotics are essential

Health Yourself Wobenzym N at VitaminShoppe.com – this can optimize the body’s nutrient absorption for clearer skin within 2 weeks.

Nature’s Cure: They have a formula for girls and a formula for boys. All you do is chew a pill in the morning and one at night AND this is the best part, it's HOMEOPATHIC! With Nature’s Cure, sometimes it helps to change to gender if you see that it’s not working. We ordered ours from amazon

“The Clear Skin Diet” by Valori Treloar - depending on her age, this book may motivate her to improve her diet.

AVALON ORGANICS SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS - the type of shampoo and hair products could aggravate acne

LOTUS MOON PRODUCTS – from Chinaberry or

http://www.smbessentials.com/skin-treatments/acne-treatments.html

Especially their Blemish Control Gel and Oil Check Blemish Control Wipes

LOTUS MOON WILLOWHERB SERUM is topical zinc

CALAMINE LOTION may work since it's rich in zinc. It has helped some. Lack of zinc is often related to acne. Sugar depletes zinc.

Try washing 2 x daily with Cetaphil (the bar one since she's breaking out) She could use it on her back/chest too if breakouts occur there. Then put aloe (like you would for a sunburn) on 2 x per day. Also, the Clinique toner---I think called clarifying lotion (but it's not lotion) probably #2 would work good. HTH! Once I started this I hardly ever broke out anymore!