Menu

Pens only?

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/convert_to_pens.pdf

Does anyone require their children to use pens rather than pencils?

For what subjects? Does it lower the frequency of tired hands? Is your child more productive? Do you allow pencils during handwriting or math? I would love to hear your experience.

My daughter literally writes all day in her free time, so I'm not worried much about tired hands with her. However, I she does waste quite a bit of time erasing and sharpening pencils. I thought pens-only was an interesting concept.

I'm thinking about it, after all I've read on here about fountain pens.

Rosie

Okay a board search and 20 minutes has resulted in a pack of fountain pens in my Amazon cart. Thanks :glare:;).

I'm getting OFF the computer before I find something else I didn't know I needed. This board is worse than Target.

Most of my children prefer using a pen. My two artist obviously use pencils a lot but when doing school work they prefer pens. My fourth dd and I can not stand to use pencils at all due to the sound that the lead makes when it scratches the paper. Of course, I have the same problem with fountain pens so it is gel ink only for me.

My sixth grade teacher required us to use fountain pens for everything except math. I have done so every since. :-)

I gave my dds pens when they were older, but then they began taking classes at the community college, and they did whatever their teachers required them to do.

We use our Lyra Ferby colored pencils half the time (it's a pain sharpening them all the time, but we love them).

The other half we use some kind of felt-tipped permanent marker, and I especially make sure they are the kind that don't bleed through paper. These are our current favorites - Sharpie Retractable Pen. It's been all both daughter and mom use lately!

To add even more color and fun, last week we started using these Flair Pens. I got myself a set of red too for corrections/editing, she loves that I use my new pens. :)

No matter what, even when we use pencil, we don't erase, so switching to pens has been just fine. It does make my daughter more careful and neat knowing she's using a "permanent" marker!

I really prefer mechanical pencils. No sharpening, lead is always a consistent size and shape, pencil is always the same weight AND I can erase. I hate not being able to erase. Even when I had a class that required the use of a pen, I used erasable pens!

Final copies should be typed!:lol:

As you can probably guess, I have horrible handwriting and am an awful speller. Not allowing me to erase was like torture. I would be SOOOOO embarrassed and would probably just write as little as possible for fear of my weakness being exposed. I will let my dc choose the medium in which to write. Maybe I am dysgraphic? I couldn't write a descent paper until the use of computers. Since using computers, I have learned I can compose.