Menu

High interest books about engineering or science?

I like The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, which is about string theory. Anoher good physics book is Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behinds the Headlines. The Calculus of Friendship is not specifically science or engineering, but poses a lot of high level math problems. It was written by Strogatz who writes a math column for the New York Times.

Not a book suggestion, but a hands-on suggestion for you. Does your daughter have a Lego Mindstorms set? If not, I would suggest investing in one if you can swing it (they are pricey). With that, whe can lear aboaut building and programming Lego robots to do all kind of interesting things. Also, if you have any FIRST Robotics teams around your area, see if you daughter might be interested in joining one. My guys have done FIRST Tech Challenge, and it has been a wonderful experience.

Blessings,

April

The Double Helix - a great book for any aspiring scientist, even a non-biologist

Books by Feynman are fun too, but a bit...colorful. Not G-rated, but I was reading them by 9th grade. (My dad is a physicist, so they were already on the bookshelf.) :D Here's a link to the first one I read: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Some of his other books are are more serious in tone.

Not a book suggestion, but a hands-on suggestion for you. Does your daughter have a Lego Mindstorms set? If not, I would suggest investing in one if you can swing it (they are pricey). With that, whe can lear aboaut building and programming Lego robots to do all kind of interesting things. Also, if you have any FIRST Robotics teams around your area, see if you daughter might be interested in joining one. My guys have done FIRST Tech Challenge, and it has been a wonderful experience.

Blessings,

April

April, did your boys have previous experience before doing the First Tech Challenge? What's a good beginning point for a boy with no robotics experience?

I have a couple books, collections of biographies of physicists by George Gamow.

We also have a fun book called The Flying Circus of Physics. From the Amazon description:

-----------

Welcome to Jearl Walker's Flying Circus of Physics, 2nd Edition, where death-defying stunts, high-flying acrobatics, strange curiosities, and mind-bending illusions are all part of everyday life. You don't need a ticket; you only need to look to the world around you to uncover these fascinating feats of physics.

Completely updated and expanded, this Second Edition of Jearl Walker's best-selling book features more than 700 thoroughly intriguing questions about relevant, fun, and completely real physical phenomena. Detailed explanations and references to outside sources guide your way through the problems.

You'll discover answers to such questions as:

* Can you start a fire with ice?

* Why does the sky turn green just before a tornado?

* Why do wintergreen LifeSavers glow in the dark when you bite them?

* If you are falling in an elevator, should you try to jump up at the last second or lay flat against the floor?

* How do electric eels produce their electric field?

* Why is wet sand darker than dry sand?

* What causes an oasis mirage?

* Why do stars twinkle?

* Could you drive a car on a ceiling?

April, did your boys have previous experience before doing the First Tech Challenge? What's a good beginning point for a boy with no robotics experience?

Good Morning, ThlemaLou!

My guys both started participating in Lego League when they were in 7th and 5th grades, respectively. Lego League is designed for kids ages 9 through 14. My older son was actually able to compete in both LL and First Tech Challenge when he ws in 9th grade because of his age. My younger son just moved up to First Tech Challenge as a freshman.

Lego League was a great beginning experience, because it gave the guys a good base of basic engineering principles and programming skills. It also stressed teamwork and getting comfortable speaking to judges, along with performing under pressure graciously. Plus, it was lots of fun.

However, having said all that, many people start at the FTC level and do great. The Lego Mindstorms "brain" is used in FTC, so being familiar with the Lego Mindstorms system is definitely helpful in learning how to program your robot. FTC allows the use of about three different programming systems. One thing that is very helpful is finding a good mentor who can help the students brainstorm and figure out how to get their ideas from paper to robot. This is especially true if the students are novice engineers and programmers. A good mentor will help teach and refine, but won't do the project for the kids. (kind of like helping kids with science fair projects! you always know when the parent did all the work!)

First Tech Challenge is growing quickly - one reason is that it is reasonably affordable! It costs us between $2500 and $3000 a year to run our team, as opposed to probably 10 times that to run a huge high school FIRST Robotics team. We have been blessed enough to be partially sponsored by NASA. If there is not a team close by that your student could join, you might seriously consider starting a team! That's how my guys got to participate. My older son's best friend wanted to stay with robotics after getting too old for Lego League. I don't know if my son would have been able to do that at age 15, but I am really glad his buddy was willing to do it!

Let me know if you have any other questions! We should start a new thread if anyone wants to know more!

Blessings,

April