Menu

Hidden curriculum expenses

Tracy

I just have to say that I am a little irked about buying curricula that I later find out I to buy something else for. I am not going to say which programs (and I haven't changed my siggy, yet), because I still really believe that they are great programs. But I bought one that I found out needed a couple more books ($40). :glare: I bought the required flashcards for another program, only to find out they needed to be cut and laminated ($50). :toetap05: I bought a timeline that I thought I could use for the whole 4-yr rotation, only to find out that the "starter kit" would not even take me through the first year. (This one was my fault for not doing the math. :banghead:) But in for a penny, in for a pound! ($50)

OTOH, my chosen science program has held true to author's promise to use only ordinary items that you can find around the house. (I did have to buy some balloons, once.) Yeah for BFSU!!

:lol: Now you know how most of us end up drowning in HS materials and supplies! I went from one three-drawer rolling organizer and two shelves in the bookcase to...well, I won't say where I went from there in just two years :001_huh: It does add up, but if you're planning on HSing for awhile, and more than one kid, the extras are usually worth the investment.

A word of advice: Invest in a laminator of your own. There's a good deal right now on Amazon ($20-ish for laminator and pack of sleeves after rebate). It's such a silly little thing that comes in SO handy fairly often around here.

:lol: Now you know how most of us end up drowning in HS materials and supplies! I went from one three-drawer rolling organizer and two shelves in the bookcase to...well, I won't say where I went from there in just two years :001_huh: It does add up, but if you're planning on HSing for awhile, and more than one kid, the extras are usually worth the investment.

A word of advice: Invest in a laminator of your own. There's a good deal right now on Amazon ($20-ish for laminator and pack of sleeves after rebate). It's such a silly little thing that comes in SO handy fairly often around here.

:iagree:I do think it is worth it. I just wish they told me up front what the real cost would be. It is especially annoying with one of the programs that has posted its "required materials" list that is just not complete.

And thanks so much for the heads-up on the laminator! I was thinking it would cost $100, and I don't think dh would agree to that. (He doesn't even know about the extras I already sprung for!) But I think I can talk him into $20!

On laminating those cards, are they for the VP cards or SWR? For SWR I laminated the rules cards, but the phonogram cards I bought from the Spalding Foundation (WRTR). They're almost identical, save for a couple little changes with a sharpie.

Yeah, gotta watch the fine print.

And thanks so much for the heads-up on the laminator! I was thinking it would cost $100, and I don't think dh would agree to that. (He doesn't even know about the extras I already sprung for!) But I think I can talk him into $20!

No prob! I found the link in case you hadn't found it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_353297062_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1000516381&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=107QKQY7G27N6K1SDW44&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1265098602&pf_rd_i=B0010JEJPC

They raised the price a few $$ since I first saw it, but it should still only be $24-ish.

Thanks for the link, Melissa! I already put it in my cart!

Before your message, I was also looking at this one that is on sale for $19 down from $79. It is a different kind that is not thermal. What do you think of that? Ever seen it before?

Hm...I've never used it before, but I wouldn't buy it because it only laminates 5 inches across, versus the usual 9 inches that you'd need to laminate a full page. I think that would limit your use of it. Plus, it takes some kind of continuous feed cartridge, which I wouldn't like. You can buy the Scotch pouches at any Target or Wal-mart (or any office supply store, I'm sure).

My main concern would be the sizing though. It's so nice to be able to put an entire page of something through the laminator, THEN cut it apart so you have nice, neat edges (the sleeves adhere just fine because of the heat).

I didn't read the reviews though, so if you think it would fit your needs better and the reviews are good, then definitely consider it.

What are you all laminating? I haven't found a need to laminate yet. Maybe I shouldn't ask... then I'll see a need. :001_smile:

Smiles,

Shalynn

I've laminated file folder game parts, charts (just made a great chore chart system for both girls), pages for writing on/wiping off, cards for RightStart lessons, permanent pages for my binder-based day planner, covers for softcover books from which I've removed the binding and three-hole punched (the firm covers help the body section not to get caught on the rings when I open and close the binder). My favorite things that I've laminated are the bookmarks I made. I had my DD7 draw tall flowers (her specialty, I love the way she draws her flowers :D), cut them out neatly, and laminated them to make nice bookmarks for all of us.

I'd say my laminator's probably not a necessity in life, but for $20, it sure has made a few things easier and neater.

I also have the Scotch thermal laminator. I bought it at Walmart for around $20. It's actually kind of a handy little money-saving tool. I've laminated sheets that I would otherwise make lots of copies of (handwriting practice, math practice, etc.) and have the kids use dry-erase markers on them. That way, I don't have to make tons of copies, they just re-use the same one over and over. Also, I've found fun free printables for things like Play-doh mats (for letters), math games (such as the domino parking lot), and behavior charts. The Play-doh mats had to be laminated, and the other things just last longer if they're laminated.

I second the contact paper idea. I haven't sprung for a laminator (yet); I'm afraid if I do I'll laminate everything. I don't need another time-sucker, lol.

Back to the original topic, I can sympathize with the OP's sentiments about hidden costs. There is a curriculum co. that I've used whose website seems scattered and unclear as to what all you will need for a given program. There's the main items, the optional add-on kit, necessary additional items, other additional items, maps, timelines, etc., but it does a poor job of telling you which specific timeline/map/additional items you'll need for any specific program. Maybe it adds your total up in a cart for you as you go along... it's been awhile since I ordered there.

But yes, very irksome.

I here ya! I was bit irked at a curriculum I was looking at that sold the answer key separately! Why can't they just put it in the back of the book? Charge another $5 for the text if you must, but don't make me pay extra for the answers!

I've laminated file folder game parts, charts (just made a great chore chart system for both girls), pages for writing on/wiping off, cards for RightStart lessons, permanent pages for my binder-based day planner, covers for softcover books from which I've removed the binding and three-hole punched (the firm covers help the body section not to get caught on the rings when I open and close the binder). My favorite things that I've laminated are the bookmarks I made. I had my DD7 draw tall flowers (her specialty, I love the way she draws her flowers :D), cut them out neatly, and laminated them to make nice bookmarks for all of us.

I'd say my laminator's probably not a necessity in life, but for $20, it sure has made a few things easier and neater.

:iagree: And buying the pouches at Sam's makes it very cost effective. I wish I had sprung for one a long time ago.

I also laminated a blank weekly schedule and at the beginning of the week I sit down with a Sharpie and block out what the week looks like. I use rubbing alcohol to get the Sharpie off at the end of the week.

I really hate that about stuff also. The little things like letting you know right off hand what needs to be bought to complete the program would be really nice sometimes!

As for the laminator I so love mine. The best thing I have ever added to our supplies. I laminate all kinds of stuff, charts for the walls, game pieces and boards, number writing practice sheets (use them over and over again), study cards, anything I can think of sometimes!

One of my curriculum buys also requires an additional book ($50). Boy, was I irked when I realized that I really couldn't even plan the year without the additional book. Hopefully, by February, when we finish SOTW2, I will have some extra $$ to make the incomplete curriculum complete and can use it to finish out the school year.

BTW, this was the ONLY curriculum I bought on a whim at the GHEA conference. Everything else was written on my list and I stuck to it. Guess I learned my lesson :glare:.

Also, I've found fun free printables for things like Play-doh mats (for letters), math games (such as the domino parking lot)...

Ooooh! Can you share links for these? DD4 is done with preschool now and is asking to start "kid school" tomorrow :lol: She would love both of those.

Thanks! (And sorry to hijack, Tracy!)

Ooooh! Can you share links for these? DD4 is done with preschool now and is asking to start "kid school" tomorrow :lol: She would love both of those.

Hijack away! I am glad that someone is benefitting from my grumbling!

Absolutely!

Here is the link for the Play-doh mats (the first is just letters, but the second corresponds to AAS level 1 for all of you AAS users):

http://homeschoolcreations.com/files/Playdough_Mats.pdf

http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/files/Playdough_mats_spelling_level_1.pdf

Here is the link for the Dominos parking lot:

http://mathwire.com/numbersense/domparklot.pdf

There are actually a lot of fun printable math games on that site, so here is the link to the site itself:

http://mathwire.com/strategies/matsdom.html

Enjoy!

Absolutely!

Here is the link for the Play-doh mats (the first is just letters, but the second corresponds to AAS level 1 for all of you AAS users):

http://homeschoolcreations.com/files/Playdough_Mats.pdf

http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/files/Playdough_mats_spelling_level_1.pdf

Here is the link for the Dominos parking lot:

http://mathwire.com/numbersense/domparklot.pdf

There are actually a lot of fun printable math games on that site, so here is the link to the site itself:

http://mathwire.com/strategies/matsdom.html

Enjoy!

So, so cool. Thank you for the links! I started to look myself but found so much to look through, I got overwhelmed.

Thank you!

And Tracy, good for you! I'm glad I could enable you...I mean, help you! :lol: I'm actually buying more sleeves right now to cover all the stuff I'm about to start printing out. Actually, maybe I'd better throw some ink into my cart too!

I 3rd the contact paper suggestion, the price can't be beat, $5-$6 for 8 yards (?). Contact now makes an actual laminating version, it's clearer than the original. It may not be as classy but it's durable. I always cover paperbacks (manuals and books) and it keeps them nice...which fetches a higher resale price. ;)

Geo

I 3rd the contact paper suggestion, the price can't be beat, $5-$6 for 8 yards (?). Contact now makes an actual laminating version, it's clearer than the original. It may not be as classy but it's durable. I always cover paperbacks (manuals and books) and it keeps them nice...which fetches a higher resale price. ;)

Geo

Oh, this is good to know. I actually do use the Contact paper for larger things (like the manila folders for my file folder games, makes them more portable and they last longer), but it annoys me because it's kind of hazy (yes, I'm so Type A :lol:). I'll have to look for the clear version next time I'm at Target.

Thanks!

On topic: It is really annoying to spend $$$ only to find out you need to spend more. Especially if you ordered it then have to pay s&h plus that horrible handling fee. :confused: There ought to be a law....obviously if you are ordering from a catalog they are going to have to "handle it". I wonder if I could institute a Mom handling fee. I handled the dirty laundry once to sort (plus an extra one if I have to pick it up off the floor), another to put in the washer, another to put in the dryer, another to get out and fold....

Off topic: I have a cold laminator from JoAnns. I have a big one and a small one. I use them a lot. If you watch the sales you can use your 50% off coupon to buy the laminator or refill cartridges. JoAnns also gives homeschoolers a teacher discount card. :001_smile: It isn't thick lamination, but it is clear. When I priced the thicker pouches at walmart it was cheaper to go the JoAnns route. The children can also use it since there is no heat.

:lol:

I wonder if I could institute a Mom handling fee. I handled the dirty laundry once to sort (plus an extra one if I have to pick it up off the floor), another to put in the washer, another to put in the dryer, another to get out and fold....
:lol::lol:

:party: I just ordered a laminator, pouches, and 3 books for the price it would have cost to have my stuff laminated at Kinko's!

Thanks, Melissa!

I'm thinking about getting one too. I've never had anything laminated at an office store before and I'm glad I haven't based on your price quote. I laminated all of my phonogram cards and rule cards for about $20 using non-thermal laminating paper (found at office supply stores). It's like contact paper, but meant for laminating. I had plenty left over for several things I've needed to laminate since then. A machine would be a good idea for me since I laminate a lot of things and I'm sure it would be faster.

:lol: Now you know how most of us end up drowning in HS materials and supplies! I went from one three-drawer rolling organizer and two shelves in the bookcase to...well, I won't say where I went from there in just two years :001_huh:

And, after 16 years of homeschooling......my basement looks like an annex of the Rainbow Resource Co. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years