Menu

Poll Your Thoughts needed

pamd

I am interested in knowing what Grammar program you think works great and why. Also compare to other programs you have used in the past and why you don't like them, and what kind of learner is your dc. Thanks in advance for your imput I am really looking to see your thoughts.:confused:

Edited by pamd
need new title

I've only tried First Language Lessons (levels 1/2, 3 and 4 with different children) and it has worked for us, so I haven't changed anything. I like that it's scripted. We get it done because it's easy for me to just follow the guide.

Thanks I have Easy Grammar but wondering if they get enough Grammar with just using it and Daily grams. Would love to hear from all Easy Grammar users as well as Rod & Staff and all others. Confused about what to do and use. My ds scored low on Grammar using the PASS test and said " The student should review and practice the rules of grammar and usage, including parts of speech, plurals, and tenses. Start with the basics." I had started using Rod & Staff 4 mid year and didn't get to any punctuation or capitalization which it was advised not to skip around. So all thoughts on grammar curriculum is needed. Thanks

My boys have learned the most from Rod & Staff English. Ds10 has done 3 & 4, ds9 has done 3 (and a bit of Saxon Grammar 5 and almost half of CLE Language Arts 400), and ds7 has done 2.

I feel that ds10 & ds7 have the firmest grasp on grammar of the 3. I would have placed ds9 in R&S 4 this year as well, but he needed to not be in the same book as his brother, so I had Saxon Grammar 5 and he liked it (so did I). We had to drop it, though, because ds9 was having writing issues and I didn't have time to do grammar orally with him every day, so he switched to CLE, which was a total bust for him (not enough explanation or practice).

This coming year we're doing Easy Grammar & Daily Grams while we focus intensely on writing, and next year I'm switching all my boys back to R&S for the long haul.

We've had good results with Winston Grammar. My ds used it in 5th after a frustrating year with Simply Grammar. He liked Winston Grammar and the use of cards to identify the parts of speech helped him alot. He got it. He isn't really a kinesthetic learner (he's more of a visual learner) but somehow laying out the cards with each sentence helped him in labeling the parts of speech correctly.

Last year he did Easy Grammar and did fine, but we are going back to Winston again this year and doing the Advanced Winston Grammar (he will be in 7th). I am going to have him do a page in Daily Grams to keep up with punctuation, sentence combining, etc.

Just FYI, Winston Grammar is grammar ONLY, meaning it doesn't cover other things like punctuation, letter writing, sentence combining, etc. that Easy Grammar does. There is a lot of overlap if you are using both Easy Grammar and Daily Grams.

This is becoming a long answer for you, but just so you know my dd has used First Lang. Lessons since K and just finished FLL level 4 and it has worked great for her. I am going to have her do Winston Grammar this year since FLL doesn't have a level 5.

HTH and good luck to you!

I have two opposites. My oldest is a natural in language arts (early reader, natural speller, etc.). He did very well with the old WTM recommendation (I don't know if it still is or not), GUM (Grammar Usage and Mechanics). It is a traditional workbook approach, has a small introductory section at the top of the page with a couple of examples to explain the concept, then two pages of drills. He completed it mostly independently, and finished the series last year. He also has really enjoyed Spelling Workout, which is very similar in layout and technique, and will be finishing that series this year.

My second ds is a later reader, not a natural speller. From spelling, I know that he needs more emphasis on rules and applying those, and more direct and involved teaching. (Spelling Workout was a disaster for him, All About Spelling has been perfect.) He started Growing with Grammar in 2nd grade, and will be continuing with that series this year (so even though he is in 4th grade, he is starting GWG level 3). To me, it seems "gentler" and more directed than GUM; the exercises are also more "playful". I also like that it has more review built in than GUM.

I am also starting Classical Writing Aesop with him this year, it has a grammar component that I think he will do very well with, as it is using and applying basic grammar (and not a worksheet of drills, kwim?).

hth!

My boys have learned the most from Rod & Staff English. Ds10 has done 3 & 4, ds9 has done 3 (and a bit of Saxon Grammar 5 and almost half of CLE Language Arts 400), and ds7 has done 2.

I feel that ds10 & ds7 have the firmest grasp on grammar of the 3. I would have placed ds9 in R&S 4 this year as well, but he needed to not be in the same book as his brother, so I had Saxon Grammar 5 and he liked it (so did I). We had to drop it, though, because ds9 was having writing issues and I didn't have time to do grammar orally with him every day, so he switched to CLE, which was a total bust for him (not enough explanation or practice).

This coming year we're doing Easy Grammar & Daily Grams while we focus intensely on writing, and next year I'm switching all my boys back to R&S for the long haul.

So do you think R&S is better or Easy Grammar? I have HWOT and just purchased Writing Strands level 3.

How do you pick which GWG to start. We are not even half way thru R&S 4? Also does this cover everything if I am using HWOT and Writing Strands?
When we started ds was in 2nd grade, but his grammar knowledge was nil (he didn't know what a noun or verb was, for example). We started at level 1 and moved quickly. I don't know about the other programs you're using. The link I put in my first message has the scope and sequence for each level of GWG, so I would probably look there and see what might work best?

What is First Language?

First Language Lesson's is part of The Well-Trained Mind curriculum. You can find it at the Peace Hill Press link above. Like a previous poster, it's the only grammar program I've used and it's worked well for us. My son is a book learner, so sitting down and reading the scripted lessons works very well for him.

First Language Lessons 1 and 2 is the way to start. I've even had friends use it for older children who don't have a good foundation in grammar. They just skip the obvious "baby" lessons.

First Language Lessons 3 and 4 could follow, but I much prefer to go into Rod and Staff after FLL 1&2. FLL 3 and 4 seem too repetitive to me--but it's a good program.

My dc score above and beyond on the IOWA test in grammar, and we owe that to FLL and Rod and Staff. My kids vary in the ways they learn best.

I like FLL for littles. We went through it in one year. There are now more levels of it, but these were not available when I needed them. I used Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate LL's, along with Rod and Staff, following FLL. I did most work orally during elementary school. PLL and ILL have more dictation, copywork, narration, etc. and R&S has more work on the parts of speech, etc. Now that FLL has out further levels, I'm sure they've sort of bridged the gap in that regard.

I moved to Abeka grammar in fourth grade for more intensive grammar work, but I'm switching back to Rod and Staff next year to incorporate their writing programming. My older son used Abeka all the way through, from fourth through ninth grades. That was before I knew about Rod and Staff.

I'm sure that SWB's writing program is terrific, as I like everything I've ever read by her. My boys were both too old for it when it came out, however, so I have not used it.

We've used Shurley Grammar because it's what my dd used when she was enrolled in a classical Christian school. It's the only thing that we've used and we've liked it so far. Both of my dc like the jingles that help them to remember the parts of speech. The jingles are also helpful when we're studying Latin. When we get to a portion of Latin grammar that they are looking confused about, I can sing the jingle that goes with the part of Latin speech that we're studying and then the wheels start to turn and their minds click on that grammar is grammar no matter what the language. A noun in English works just like a noun in Latin so the Shurley jingles have been great to help them put the Latin pieces of the puzzle together, too.

I like the practice books that go along with the student workbooks, which have all of the sentences that the students need to parse in them so I don't have to write them on the board everyday. I also like it that we can choose not to do the writing portion because we're doing WWE for writing. We also don't do the vocabulary because we're using Roots of English (that goes along with our Latin). I like that the lessons are scripted which saves me time.

I think my dd is more of a visual learner and I'm still waiting to see about my ds but, they both are doing amazingly well with Shurley. I know some people don't like the repetitive nature of Shurley but, my dd is only going to do Shurley for one more year because she'll be starting IEW with our Classical Conversations group next year and I'm not sure what I'll do with my ds until he's ready for IEW. I figure that the repetition will only work to strengthen their knowledge and confidence with grammar. They will definitely never be confused about finding the nouns in a sentence! :D

I moved to Abeka grammar in fourth grade for more intensive grammar work, but I'm switching back to Rod and Staff next year to incorporate their writing programming. My older son used Abeka all the way through, from fourth through ninth grades. That was before I knew about Rod and Staff.

Can I ask why you went to R&S from Abeka? My ds used Abeka and did very well. Just thinking ahead for my littles as I have never used R&S.

We use Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons, both have been a big hit.

http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Language-Lessons-Emma-Serl/dp/0965273512

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Language-Lessons-Emma-Serl/dp/0965273571/ref=pd_sim_b_2

They are very open and go, the lessons are almost never overwhelming, and we like that their older.

We also use Cozy Grammar (and love it).

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/

You watch a short dvd clip then do a worksheet.

Cozy Punctuation is good as well.

Wow! I like JudoMom's plan. I have been somewhat lax in grammar instruction for the past three years, teaching it an average of 3x per week. We do it, but its always a chore. Lately I've been thinking about biting the bullet and working harder at grammar.

The first year of hs'ing we did Shurley and my daughter learned a lot even though we took two years to finish a one year course. I liked Shurley, but it was very teacher intensive and I was kind of tired of staying on top of it. Last year we switched to EG, and although my dd seems to really like it, I'm not convinced that she is retaining the information as well as she did with Shurley. Once again, we stopped halfway through the course at the end of the year, so we will pick up where we left off when the new school year begins in August.

Yes, I think I will borrow JudoMom's idea, and concentrate on writing skills this year while we do the second half of the EG course. Then I'll be shopping for grammar again, possibly going back to Shurley if not another grammar program listed in TWTM.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I use R&S starting in 2nd grade and love it. My dds understand the material and I see a crossover into other subjects. They also scored very well on their ITBS the last two years and I have no reason to change. I did use FLL in K with my younger dd and enjoyed it.