Menu

Please suggest your favorite Thai dishes

I bought an online coupon from a website called groupon.com I paid $25 for $60 worth of food at a Thai restaurant. I need some suggestions on what to get. I am open to anything but dh isn't a fan of things too spicy. I know, why go to a Thai restaurant then?!? I told him I would like us to try different types of food. They have coconut or lemongrass soups. Any good? Lots of curry items and more. My mom is visiting tomorrow so that is when we are going. We can't normally go out to dinner because we have a special needs child. I am so psyched.

Thai food is my new favorite kind of food. Everytime we go to the thai restaurant near us we get something different and it is all good. I would suggest to try one curry dish, one noodle dish and maybe a chef's special or something like that. I hope you like everything you try! Have fun!

Here's our family favorite (very easy too):

Add 1-2 TBSP "Thai Kitchen" Red Curry Paste to a can of coconut milk in saucepan.

Add 2 cups cubed chicken, cook until chicken is done.

Add veggies if you want. Cook until tender.

Add fresh basil before serving (optional).

Serve over rice.

This serves 3-4 of us. I usually double the recipe.

Enjoy your Thai experience!

Thanks. I looked on their menu and they have the items you folks mentioned. Any other suggestions? Desserts maybe? They have a couple sticky rice desserts listed. I think they have a couple more but they aren't listed. Do I want a dessert or should we just order a few entrees to sample from? Is Thai Iced Tea good? Any favorite appetizers? Sorry to be such a pest. Can you tell that we don't get out a lot alone?!?

It's made with coconut milk and curry paste, and is served over rice. When it's done as "mild" dish, it's very flavorful but not hot. We like it with chicken, but most places make beef or seafood panang curry as well.

Other ideas:

Spring rolls

Cucumber salad

Coconut or mango ice cream

Have fun! We looove Thai food. :)

what we usually have:

satay (chicken or beef)

thom gha ghai soup (chicken and mushroom soup with coconut milk.... ask for it mild; our youngest girls love it! - sometimes its spelled with "k"s instead of "g"s)

pad thai

mee krob (a dish unlike any other. its sweet and crunchy and has no spicy taste) - we have it instead of dessert.

and thai iced tea...

and one vegetable thing....

enjoy!

ann

I love everything at a Thai restaurant.

The iced tea is good, but the iced coffee is even better (in my opinion!).

I love a dish called Larb...it's ground meat and toasted rice, and you roll it up in lettuce leaves or raw cabbage leaves.

Another one I don't know the real name for, but it's a green papaya salad. I could eat that every day of my life! LOL

One of my best friends in college was Thai and she introduced me to all sorts of yummies!

I've never been to a Thai restaurant where you couldn't ask them to adjust the heat/pepper level in your food. I like spice, so I usually order mine hot. What I've found is that they give me spicier food when I'm with my Thai friend. So when I order, say the papaya salad, I ask them to make it "Thai spicy" like they would for themselves. Then I know it will be HOT!

But since you like milder stuff, just tell them. It will still be very flavorful, I'm sure.

Have fun! Now I'm craving some pad thai!

As soon as you mentioned Thai Iced Tea, I started salivating. :tongue_smilie: LOVE that stuff!

My favorite dish is Thai Cashew Chicken. My husband loves Drunken Noodles (*very spicy*) and Pad Thai. If they have some sort of spring rolls, I'd get those as an appetizer. I can't say that I've ever had dessert at a Thai restaurant. I'm usually too full. :D

For standard Thai fare, I usually go with Drunken Noodles, Spicy Green Curry, or Eggplant Lover (if I'm not feeling spicy). We're also big fans of fried tofu appetizers. If you're not sure about the soups (and quality can vary widely), many Thai restaurants will bring you broth samples upon request.