Menu

Want to hear a story with a sweet ending?

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't huge, but it touched me, so I thought I'd share.

Yesterday was the first day of our library book sale. It was hot. It was muggy. Our lovely city has beautified the area surrounding the library at the cost of good parking, so by the time I actually got to the sale, I was already a little irritable over trying to find a place to park AND the heat. As I made my way to the children's books, I spotted A Girl of the Limberlost, a book I'd heard about but had never seen. Just as I spotted it, another woman grabbed it. I said to her, "If you decide not to get that, I'd like it." I wasn't upset or anything; first come-first served! She retorted, "I am LOOKING at it!" and put it in her bag. I didn't say anything but thought, "Ok, whatever, Snot-head. I just thought I'd mention that I'd like it if you don't want it" and I walked over to where my friends were sitting. I mentioned the incident, all the time keeping my eye on the woman in case she changed her mind. She ended up walking away, so I figured that I'd lost out. No biggie. I paid for my books and drove home.

Well, this morning, the friends I'd been talking with yesterday went back to the sale, and lo and behold! There was that copy of the book I'd wanted! The Snot-head didn't want it afterall! (hmph!) So, my friend's daughter, who's 17 grabbed it and said, "I'm going to get this and give it to Mrs. Sola! This is the one she wanted yesterday!" and she bought it for me!

Wasn't that sweet of her? :001_wub:

Part of me wishes I could find that Snot-headed woman and go "neener neener!" but that wouldn't be very mature of me, would it?;)

That was a very thoughtful thing for that young woman to do.

Oh, and FWIW, if I see somebody grab a book I want at a library sale, I never express interest in it myself... The times I do are usually the times they don't set them back down. ;)

I'm glad it all worked out for you! :hurray:

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't huge, but it touched me, so I thought I'd share.

Yesterday was the first day of our library book sale. It was hot. It was muggy. Our lovely city has beautified the area surrounding the library at the cost of good parking, so by the time I actually got to the sale, I was already a little irritable over trying to find a place to park AND the heat. As I made my way to the children's books, I spotted A Girl of the Limberlost, a book I'd heard about but had never seen. Just as I spotted it, another woman grabbed it. I said to her, "If you decide not to get that, I'd like it." I wasn't upset or anything; first come-first served! She retorted, "I am LOOKING at it!" and put it in her bag. I didn't say anything but thought, "Ok, whatever, Snot-head. I just thought I'd mention that I'd like it if you don't want it" and I walked over to where my friends were sitting. I mentioned the incident, all the time keeping my eye on the woman in case she changed her mind. She ended up walking away, so I figured that I'd lost out. No biggie. I paid for my books and drove home.

Well, this morning, the friends I'd been talking with yesterday went back to the sale, and lo and behold! There was that copy of the book I'd wanted! The Snot-head didn't want it afterall! (hmph!) So, my friend's daughter, who's 17 grabbed it and said, "I'm going to get this and give it to Mrs. Sola! This is the one she wanted yesterday!" and she bought it for me!

Wasn't that sweet of her? :001_wub:

Part of me wishes I could find that Snot-headed woman and go "neener neener!" but that wouldn't be very mature of me, would it?;)

What a thoughtful teen, how very special.

That was very thoughtful of her.

I also do not ever mention that I am interested in something that another library patron is looking at (during library book sales). These are typically quite competitive situations, with everyone trying to grab up the best items first. While most people are polite, there can be a certain amount of tension below the surface, and people tend to become quite possessive of their "finds".

In this situation, I wouldn't have said anything, but continued to look through the books, keeping my eye on the woman, so I could grab the copy as soon as she set it down ;).

Of course, I cannot imagine anyone "sitting down with friends" at a booksale (afterall, this is serious business, and I might miss out on a great deal while chatting!). I tend to work intently and methodically through every row and pile. However, I have been known to overhear another shopper say (or tell her child) that she is looking for, say, Magic Treehouse books, which I'm not, so I hand her the ones I find :).

Yeah, lesson learned about expressing interest at book sales! Silly me for assuming people aren't Snot-heads! :lol:

My friend and I go together every year. We circle the tables together, each keeping an eye out for anything the other would like and may miss. It's been a good system for the past 5 years or so. She's a fountain of wisdom regarding non-fiction and children's lit. After we load up her wagon with books, we go sit down and go through them, deciding what to buy. She has a unique talent for finding treasures.

Of course, I cannot imagine anyone "sitting down with friends" at a booksale (afterall, this is serious business, and I might miss out on a great deal while chatting!). I tend to work intently and methodically through every row and pile. However, I have been known to overhear another shopper say (or tell her child) that she is looking for, say, Magic Treehouse books, which I'm not, so I hand her the ones I find :).

:lol: I thought it was just me! I can't even bring the kids with me; they distract me from my "work"!

And Michelle, that was so sweet! Those little acts of kindness can just make your week.