Menu

What's an easy but nice summer dessert to make?

mamapjama

If you can find some decent grapes, macerated grapes. Prepare these the day before or in the morning.

• wash and sort through two varieties of grapes (one is OK, but it's different colours look more impressive) and place in a serving bowl

• mix in zest of an orange or lemon (preferably organic, as these won't have fungicides)

• pour in orange juice just to the top of the grapes

• add sugar (less if nice sweet OJ and grapes, more if not), stir, and leave for at least a few hours, overnight is fine

I've been making these for years and they've never lasted more than 15 minutes, no matter how much is served.

Edited by nmoira

Pink Fluff

1 can cherry pie filling

1 tub cool whip

1 can (or 2 small cans) sweetened condensed milk

1 can pineapple tidbits (drained)

1/2-3/4 bag of mini marshmallows

Mix 1st 3 ingredients well and let sit for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator. Mix in pineapple and marshmallows. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve. Can sit out for 2-3 hours. This is delicious and very pretty if you put it in a clear bowl. You can also top with another layer of plain cool whip of you like and top wit mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings. Super easy and everybody loves it.

Jello Cake

1 box of white cake mix

1 box of strawberry (or another flavor) jello

1 1/2c. boiling water

cool whip

Make cake according to directions. Let it cool for 10 minutes once the cake is out of the oven. Meanwhile, boil (microwave) 1 1/2c. water. Mix water and jello together, mix well to dissolve the jello and let cool a few minutes. Poke holes in the top of the cake. I do this with a small, round, wooden handle. Holes should not go all the way through cake. Slowly and evenly pour jello over cake so that the cake can absorb the jello and not run to the sides. Let cake cool for a few hours. Spread cool whip over the top and refrigerate.

Pink Fluff

1 can cherry pie filling

1 tub cool whip

1 can (or 2 small cans) sweetened condensed milk

1 can pineapple tidbits (drained)

1/2-3/4 bag of mini marshmallows

Mix 1st 3 ingredients well and let sit for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator. Mix in pineapple and marshmallows. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve. Can sit out for 2-3 hours. This is delicious and very pretty if you put it in a clear bowl. You can also top with another layer of plain cool whip of you like and top wit mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings. Super easy and everybody loves it.

My Mom makes this stuff ALL the time for summer gatherings. I see it quite often here :)

Fruit pizza (maybe not that easy, but that's what I always make :D)

Bowl of fresh fruit - the Sunday Best Fruit Salad at allrecies.com is yummy

A watermelon basket full of fruit is easy but looks fancy

Ice cream "pies" are easy, too, but way less healthy. Just buy a prepared crust, let two flavors of ice cream get soft, crush up some type of cookie or candy bars. Put a layer of one type of ice cream, then the crushed cookie/candy (maybe add some chocolate syrup or caramel) and top with the other flavor of ice cream. Put a few crumbles of the cookie/candy on top. Put in the freezer until you need it. I ahve made Heath/caramel and Oreo versions, and they were both good.

Edited by angela in ohio

My favorite, SUPER easy, take-along dessert is cookies and cream cake.

12 crème-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped

1 package white cake mix

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup sour cream

3 egg whites

2 Tbs vegetable oil ICING

6 crème-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup sour cream

3 Tbs butter, softened

1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray fluted cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. For cake, coarsely chop cookies, set aside. Combine cake mix, water, sour cream, egg whites and oil; mix according to package directions.

2. Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle chopped cookies evenly over top of batter but not touching sides of pan. Spoon remaining batter over cookies.

3. Bake 50-55 minutes or until center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides and center tube of pan. Invert onto cooling rack; remove pan. Cool completely.

4. For icing, coarsely chop cookies; sest aside. Combine powdered sugar, sour cream and butter; beat until smooth. Ice top of cake allowing some to flow down the sides. Sprinkle top with cookies. Let stand until icing is set. Cut into slices. Store leftover cake, covered in refrigerator

Yields 16 servings.

Lemonade Cake

You will need:

1 white cake mix

1 can concentrated frozen lemonade

powdered sugar

cool whip

lemon slices for garnish (optional)

Using a rectangular pan, prepare cake mix according to directions.

Allow the lemonade concentrate to melt. Do not dilute it. Put this in a bowl and mix in powdered sugar to taste (start with 1/4 cup and adjust as you like).

When the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes w/a fork all over the top, then pour on the lemonade mixture. You may want to spread it around some w/a spatula for even coverage.

Frost with cool whip. Add lemon slices for garnish before serving, if desired. Store in refrigerator.

Thanks everyone! It looks like I now have my list of summer desserts all ready to make and try! I went for the pavlova. I have made it before and since I didn't have to run to the store for ingredients it was the winner :)

Thanks for the great suggestions!

1 angel food cake

1 pound strawberries, sliced

1 container whipped dairy topping

Slice the cake in half horizontally. Spread dairy topping on bottom half. Arrange strawberries over topping. Place other half of cake on top.

It's been a while since I made this, and I don't remember if there is enough topping and strawberries to also put on the very top. But I do remember that it was very well received!

1 angel food cake

1 pound strawberries, sliced

1 container whipped dairy topping

Slice the cake in half horizontally. Spread dairy topping on bottom half. Arrange strawberries over topping. Place other half of cake on top.

It's been a while since I made this, and I don't remember if there is enough topping and strawberries to also put on the very top. But I do remember that it was very well received!

I do something similiar, but mix a container of fruit on the bottom (in this case, strawberry) yogurt with the cool whip. I've also done this with raspberry yogurt & fresh raspberries. Yum!