Menu

Interesting observation re: chocolate cravings & Aspartame

What chocolate are you eating with Aspartame? Nasty stuff...

None, I have always been a chocoholic and I eat the real stuff. I recently started drinking Crystal Light (in an attempt to help me lose weight) and became quite ill within two months. The illness is caused by Aspartame/phenylalanine toxicity.

Since I have been sick I no longer crave the chocolate. I wonder if it is due to the effects of the Aspartame.

Hmmm. I crave chocolate (the really dark kind, not the sweet kind). I have a magnesium deficiency and the Dr. says that is why.

I also crave salty foods. I have adrenal problems and my sodium level is very low. Dr. told me to eat as much salt as I want!

Jean: Ask your doctor about Bieler's Broth for adrenal issues.

http://janeunderwood.typepad.com/my_great_breast_cancer_ad/2007/02/im_now_reading_.html

I know that it is best to start slowly with it as it is powerful -- There is also a recipe for it in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions.:)

None, I have always been a chocoholic and I eat the real stuff. I recently started drinking Crystal Light (in an attempt to help me lose weight) and became quite ill within two months. The illness is caused by Aspartame/phenylalanine toxicity.

Since I have been sick I no longer crave the chocolate. I wonder if it is due to the effects of the Aspartame.

Now the real question is, did you lose weight? :bigear: (Iow, is the toxicity worth it?) ;)

Now the real question is, did you lose weight? :bigear: (Iow, is the toxicity worth it?) ;)

I had lost 20 pounds before I got sick. My weight loss has stalled, though. I think it's due to all of the medications the various doctors have been prescribing.

I don't understand why I am not losing now. It's been 13 days since I began aspartame detox. I had hoped to be down a few pounds. I guess I should be patient, detox takes 60 days.

Hmmm. I crave chocolate (the really dark kind, not the sweet kind). I have a magnesium deficiency and the Dr. says that is why!

I have a magnesium deficiency, too. I am taking magnesium to help with the aspartame detox. I wonder if the increase in mg is why I am no longer having the chocolate cravings. Hmmmmmm... :confused:

I changed over to raw chocolate, and I often make it myself as well...I now eat chocolate guilt free because I know exactly what is in it and there is nothing unhealthy in it at all. Even my kids prefer my home made chocolate, and they are fussy!

Here is an article on chocolate and weight loss:

http://www.naturalnews.com/023939_food_chocolate_cacao.html

You can't say this and then not give us the recipe! :D

Okay, let me see if I understand this. Because you are sick, you don't crave chocolate. All along I knew there had to be something wrong with people who didn't crave chocolate.:D

I had lost 20 pounds before I got sick. My weight loss has stalled, though. I think it's due to all of the medications the various doctors have been prescribing.

I don't understand why I am not losing now. It's been 13 days since I began aspartame detox. I had hoped to be down a few pounds. I guess I should be patient, detox takes 60 days.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: No advice. Just hugs. My sister had seizures as a child due to aspartame. Now, whenever she accidentally has aspartame, she gets REALLY dizzy. Scary stuff.

You can't say this and then not give us the recipe! :D

Okey dokey!

I use this one because it is a creamy taste- not too strong like dark chocolate.

The one below is a more traditional dark chocolate.

I use those silica ice cube trays to set it in the freezer. Any type of ice cube tray or mould would do, or just pour into a tin and break into pieces when set.

Its very quick to make.

~Raw yummilicious MILK chocolate (with no dairy)~

2/3 cup cashews

2/3 cup agave (I use ½ a cup)- you could use honey or sugar but you might have to experiment.

2/3 cup cacao butter

1-2 Tbsp mesquite powder

1 tsp. vanilla

4 Tbsp. pure raw cacao powder

Liquify cacao butter in sun (it's hot enough today) or dehydrator or double boiler. In vitamix blend all of the above, and pour into molds or onto wax paper in dish or into ice cube trays. Freeze ,cut, and enjoy!

The recipe is flexible- I added a bit of coconut oil last batch. I use ice cube trays. It could be made without a blender if you left out the cashews, but it would have a much stronger, less “milky†flavour.

Here is another that I have used, but it is stronger and darker and too bitter for my kids, although I love it.

Truly Raw Chocolate

Ingredients for simple truly raw chocolate:

• 1/2 C whole peeled cacao beans, ground

• 1/4 C raw honey or raw agave syrup

• 1/8 C melted cacao butter (use coconut oil if not available)

• 1/8 C coconut oil

Optional ingredients:

• 1 T almonds, finely chopped

• 1/4 cup raisins

• Celtic sea salt to taste

• 1 drop orange, lemon, clove, lavender or other essential oil

• Cinnamon to taste

Preparation:

Grind cacao until it is very fine. The cacao will have a consistency like raw almond butter and will stick to the sides of the grinder. Mix ground cacao with coconut oil or cacao butter in grinder. Remove mixture and add honey and other ingredients. Stir well with a fork. The mixture should be able to be poured. If not, add more coconut oil. Pour into ice cube trays or other forms and freeze for 45 minutes. Serve immediately after removing from the freezer (will keep in fridge).

They say that the more aspartame you consume the more you crave sweets because you loose your sensitivity to it somehow. (Yes, that is the oversimplified version.)

I've found that by ending as much fake/diet sugar consumption as I can, I have found more sweetness in foods (even fruit and veg) and have fewer sweet cravings. (I think this is linked to getting calories from sugar but I haven't researched the issue-just personal experience.)

Ok, because of this thread and the recipes included, I have opened the desk stash drawer and dug out the last Lindt chili dark chocolate bar. One square is gone. I am doomed.:o

Edited by RhondaJK
I apparently can't spell while eating chocolate.

I changed over to raw chocolate, and I often make it myself as well...I now eat chocolate guilt free because I know exactly what is in it and there is nothing unhealthy in it at all. Even my kids prefer my home made chocolate, and they are fussy!

Here is an article on chocolate and weight loss:

http://www.naturalnews.com/023939_food_chocolate_cacao.html

Nevermind. I read the rest of the thread. I wanted your recipe!

What is your doctor doing for the Aspartame detox? I am curious. I hate Aspartame.

At the moment (I think this might change depending upon how my body reacts) I am not ingesting any artifical sweeteners of any kind - Splenda, Nutrasweet, Aspartame - for sixty days. I am taking magnesium tablets to help increase my magnesium levels. I am still taking Miralax to help with bowel movements.

Please note: Everyone is different and your reactions to Aspartame/phenylalanine may be different than mine. I knowingly consumed Aspartame products for only two months before getting sick and about two months after becoming ill. Prior to that time I avoided Aspartame; although I did drink Diet Rite which is sweetened with Splenda.

I have seen three different doctors prior to being diagnosed. If you are experiencing any health issues please do not self-diagnose. See your doctor and discuss the possibility of Aspartame toxicity.

(Iow, is the toxicity worth it?) ;)

In short: NO!

I would have lost the weight anyway. My medical bills are outrageous and the possibility of having symptoms for months is daunting. Aspartame is stored in body fat and as the fat is metabolized the chemical is released into the body. Even though I was losing weight my body was more than likely storing this forgeign substance as fat (which might explain the new pooch on my tummy that wasn't there six months ago).