Menu

Women's speedo swimsuits--do they run small? Question about fit.

I ordered a Speedo swim suit for 13yodd. According to their size charts she was a 26. However, both a 26 and 28 were really, really tight. There were red welts on her shoulders after just a couple minutes of wear. I ordered both a 30 and 32, and they still seem small and tight. The 32 has not left welts, but she does have strap marks after about 20 minutes of wear.

Do these suits stretch with wear? Or should we order another size?

I still have all four suits but really, really need to make a decision and return some so we can get our $$ back.

They run small, and yes, they stretch. They also are intended to fit tightly and to sit pretty high up on the leg.

My 10 yo wears a 28, and with near-daily use, they stretch out before they wear out. I would be inclined to keep the 32 if she can stand it--red marks are about right from a brand new suit.

Terri

She really needs to go to a swim shop and try them on. It also depends on what she is doing in them. The average 13 yo will probably wear a 28. Short bodied kids need smaller sizes. Long bodied types tend to need larger. (All three of my girls at 13 wore a 28/very different body types and sizes.) The style of suit will also matter. Lycra suits stretch. A lot. The nylon suits or the Endurance suits don't tend to have much give. If she is wearing it as an everyday/play suit, go ahead and go big. If it is for swim practice, you want it to be more fitted. If it is for racing, you want it pretty tight. The straps should pull up to about the ears, but not farther. You will also find that the different styles fit very differently. The thinner straps are usually much more comfortable. My girls won't wear the thicker/traditional style any more! The criss-cross thin strap down the back often is the very most comfortable and conforms to more body types. Btw, most kids do not wear the "proper" sized suit. Many kids don't like to wear the suit as tight as it is supposed to be for racing. If she isn't really competitively swimming, go with whatever feels pretty good. All of the suits will get a bit bigger in the water. The lycra suits will get a lot bigger.

DD is 15 5'4" and 110lbs. She wears a 28 for competition and and a 34 Speedo Endurance for practice along with 32 Dolphin Uglies. As you can tell, it really varies. I am with Lolly on going to the swim shop and being fitted if she's doing anything beside leisure swimming. A badly fitting suit is just a pain.

• 2 years later...

DD 17 is almost 5'8" and wears a 28 for competition and a 30 for practice. DD 16 is 5'6' and wears a 30 for competition and a 32 for practice. The difference is in the body loop measurement; dd16 is longer in the torso. And yes they are meant to be skin tight! My poor dd16 can't breathe the first few times she puts on a suit, lol.

hth

Georgia

Reported.

:confused1: Not sure why this would be reported.

Now on to the question. I guess we picked the wrong size suit then. My dd is 11.5 and 5'1" about 86lbs. When we went to the swim store she ended up with a 32. They said she has a long torso, but if she went with the 28 or 30 they pulled really badly in the crotch area. Her's looks a little loose in the backside at times but I think it's because she has no butt at all. Everywhere else it's really snug. Should I be looking for a different brand or size?

Not only do they run small, but I find the cut is sometimes too broad for a girl with b00bs. Look carefully at the cut of the suit in the arm hole area if you or DD has a bosom greater than B. I have not had this issue with Nike suits, but some speedos are just cut for that long lanky athletic figure more so than a curvy figure.

:confused1: Not sure why this would be reported.

Now on to the question. I guess we picked the wrong size suit then. My dd is 11.5 and 5'1" about 86lbs. When we went to the swim store she ended up with a 32. They said she has a long torso, but if she went with the 28 or 30 they pulled really badly in the crotch area. Her's looks a little loose in the backside at times but I think it's because she has no butt at all. Everywhere else it's really snug. Should I be looking for a different brand or size?

The spam post prior to that post was reported. This thread is from three years ago.