Menu

Will I completely destroy a down blanket if I machine wash it?

Do you have a front loader? I would wash down comforters in a front loader, but not top loader. If and when you need to dry it, down will clump. You need to put something heavy in the dryer to break up the clumps. Like a clean tennis shoe, or a large superball. Make sure it is dried completely.

We have a down comforter that I have machine-washed numerous times. It's king size, so I have to take it to a laundromat and use one of the industrial-sized machines. I use my regular detergent and machine dry it without anything but a dryer sheet. I have never had any problems with bunching, odors, etc.

I wash and dry ours all the time. You just need to be sure it actually is dry - completely and totally dry - before you put it back on or it will not smell great at all. Those feathers retain moisture well. I usually dry it until it seems dry, then hang it for several hours just to be sure.

She told me to use the large capacity dryer at the laundry mat and then I though it was really dry, to dry it for another hour.

I wish I had known that ten years ago when I ruined our down comforter. I obviously didn't get the down completely dry, even though I would have sworn it was. I miss that blanket. :(

I have a large capacity at home now so I wash and dry it. I dry for on hour on high heat and then shake it out and repeat the process twice more - three hours of drying total.

Ok, then I must not have dried it well enough. That makes sense with the stinky smell. Three hours though, wow.

I took our down comforter to the dry cleaners. There was no one else there and the attendant looked around quickly and quietly told me not to waste my money. She said that all they did was put it into a large washer and dryer anyway. The main issue is getting the down dry, otherwise it molds and smells bad. She told me to use the large capacity dryer at the laundry mat and then I though it was really dry, to dry it for another hour.

I have a large capacity at home now so I wash and dry it. I dry for on hour on high heat and then shake it out and repeat the process twice more - three hours of drying total.

:iagree:

I've washed and dried our down comforters for years. I used to work at Linens N Things, and the rep from the down company told me it was safe. The biggest issue used to be that people didn't have a big enough washer/dryer.

I took our down comforter to the dry cleaners. There was no one else there and the attendant looked around quickly and quietly told me not to waste my money. She said that all they did was put it into a large washer and dryer anyway. The main issue is getting the down dry, otherwise it molds and smells bad. She told me to use the large capacity dryer at the laundry mat and then I though it was really dry, to dry it for another hour.

I have to concur with this. The pillows stink until they are done. When they stop stinking, they're done :lol: A clean tennis ball in dryer helps a lot.

I wash mine too. All they way from my huge expensive king size one, down to the throw blankets from Costco. It works great and makes them like new again. I don't over dry mine as I only wash on a low humidity day, dry mostly in the machine and hang the over our balcony to dry. Flipping, fluffing and turning it as the day goes on. I like to do this so I can reposition the feathers within the baffles as I go.

We have a front load washer so it spins it free of most water, and then I dry it for one full cycle. It feels dry when I take it out but since I can still smell it I know it isn't, that is why I hang it the rest of the way.

Now, that we found out dd has a ton of seasonal allergies to pollens, I will start to over dry it from now on, to avoid bringing all that indoors.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

i LOVE! people like that.