Menu

Help! Tell me about Halo 3

My son (age 11) is invited to a sleep over party. He has learned that they are going to play Halo 3 tonight. We do NOT allow M games. I think this is wrong of his friend's parents to even be allowing this at the party and we plan on telling them that our son can't play it, but at the same time where will our son go? In another room while their playing it? They even brought a huge larger than life screen tv home so that the kids can have it be more realistic. Our son is really struggling with this. He knows where we stand but wants to go to this party. It will be hard as he will need to stand up for what we stand for. Of course, at the same time he's telling us it's no worse than Star Wars but an M rating is an M rating. correct??? UGh!!!

Halo is just awful. I do allow my two older children to play, but only with their Grammy. Yes, you heard that right. My mother loves her little X-box.

But, it sounds like you should say no. It isn't fair to those parents to have to keep your son from playing. I wouldn't do that for another parent.

I will say it can be a bit more graphic than you will probably prefer. I believe there is a language element too. You could always call up a local Game Stop or other gaming store and ask what makes the rating the way it is.

Do you know if they will be playing multiplayer (a group of people playing against each other on teams) or if they'll be playing the story?

I have played Halo 3. In terms of shooter games, I think it is tame. The graphics are highly unrealistic and most of the characters are aliens. Multiplayer can be quite fun - basically you shoot a bunch of laser guns at each other. We let our 6-yr old play some of the maps one-on-one with us.

My cautions would be about going on Xbox Live to play (lots of swearing, awful behavior, etc) or playing through story mode (which is how it got the M rating).

If they plan to play multiplayer, just the group of them together, I wouldn't say it was too bad, but I still think 11 is a little young for it. I'd give it the multiplayer a PG-13 rating. :tongue_smilie:

However, if you are already against it, I'd encourage you to have your son stand by your morals. See if he can't do something else while the others are playing.

I actually didn't realize that Halo 3 was rated M -- we've played it with our kids in the room. :tongue_smilie: It is very video gamish with alien violence. There is blood, but it's green. I don't mind it because my kids know that it is not real, but you may disagree because there is violence and blood. Essenially you go around shooting aliens. Or if you play against eachother, you play on teams against eachother.

HTH

My sons ,who are highschool age, have played it- but there is a lot of questionable language and violence. I definitely would find out if they are going to be playing on line- That gets really vulgar.

I still question whether my boys should being playing it at 17 and 14- my hubby says to lighten up-

Good Luck-

-------

Lisa mom of 2 rowdy boys and a princess

If Halo is available, I'm sure all the other boys are going to plant themselves in front of the game and not want to do something else just because your son isn't allowed to play it. Sad, but true.

If we really did not want ds to play something, we would keep him home.

Like a pp said, it's not fair to the host parents when they have given advance notice of their plans, and your ds is just going to feel left out and lonely at a party.

I thought you'd like another opinion to help you decide, so I asked my husband his thoughts. We are both avid gamers (and you can see my musings about the game above). His response was, "We would tell the parents that regrettably our son could not go. Then we'd do something fun with our son to make up for the loss of the party."

He thinks that it is rude of the other parents to just assume that the content would be acceptable for all parents of kids that age, especially when it is clearly rated 'M.' So his solution is, "don't go."

Halo is not life like at all- If you let them play star wars, it's really no worse. I agree with whoever said XBox Live is the problem- There is alot of talk on that. The game itself it not that bad. IMO, if he is not allowed to play, it's probably better he stay home.

I thought you'd like another opinion to help you decide, so I asked my husband his thoughts. We are both avid gamers (and you can see my musings about the game above). His response was, "We would tell the parents that regrettably our son could not go. Then we'd do something fun with our son to make up for the loss of the party."

He thinks that it is rude of the other parents to just assume that the content would be acceptable for all parents of kids that age, especially when it is clearly rated 'M.' So his solution is, "don't go."

I agree. Dh is a professor whose work centers largely around video games. So there are a number of games and an array of consoles in our house, and our kids play games (though limited in terms of both time and content)... While I find the game rating sometimes misleading (I've seen E games I thought were inappropriate and an M game or two that I had no particular problems with), Halo is not a game we'd allow our son to play.

I see a couple of options here.

You could let him go to the party, but he's the one kid not allowed to play Halo, so he sits in another room and is miserable and unsure whether to be frustrated with you or his friends, or whether to just be sad...

You could call the mom and ask what the party schedule is, and if Halo is going to be played later in the evening, you could arrange to pick your son up before that time. Hopefully then he'd be able to enjoy running around with the other kids, pizza and cake, whatever, and leave with an appropriate excuse ("I've got a game tomorrow, so I have to get home and sleep" -- whatever is appropriate)...

You could tell the mom that you're uncomfortable with Halo. ... I'd do this if it were a mom that I knew well and if the party weren't a "Halo" party. Last year I did this with regard to a movie being shown at a sleepover that ds was attending. It was a last minute movie decision on the kid's part and ds knew he hadn't been allowed to see this particular movie in the past, so he had his friend call me to ask if it was okay. I asked to speak to the mom, and she didn't even realize they *owned* that movie, lol, (really, she's very involved generally) or why it might be questionable. She had no problem saying, "Hey, guys, y'all need to pick something else." ... If I hadn't known her as well, I might not have felt comfortable saying, "this one just won't fly with us" -- but than, I probably wouldn't have sent ds to a sleepover there, if that hadn't been the case...

If you're not comfortable telling the mom and seeing how important Halo really is to the party, and if the schedule doesn't make it such that he could come home before the Halo part begins, I would do as Food4Thought suggests. Let him know you're sorry, but that this particular party won't be a good fit. I'd call the family and offer my regrets. And then we'd try to plan something extra fun at home this evening to help soften the blow. Maybe watching a favorite movie and ordering pizza, or roasting mini marshmallows over candles (use Teddy Grahams and chocolate chips to make mini s'mores!), or baking brownies together and playing board games...

:iagree:

I'd be sad, and ds would be mad, but I'd say NO. I'd call the parents and explain, apologetically, that ds could not come b/c he is not allowed to play or be in the room with violent video games.

That's been our rule since day 1, and ds understands and accepts it. . . so far. (He'll be 11 next week.)

Around age 14-16 I could see starting to be more flexible if it was very important (such as perhaps even the scenario you are in). . . but no way at this time.

Personally, I think it is very bad form for the parents to plan/allow a party such as this for such young children. I would be in the market for different friends, personally.

I find Halo to be less realistic than Star Wars. I didn't let my boys play for the longest time just because others kept saying it was soooo horrible. Then, my hubby wanted me to play on line with a friend and friend's wife.

I played and had a great time. I was shocked. I expected to hate it and be creeped out by it.

What I found instead was that it was so incredibly unrealistic. The aliens looked like aliens. Nothing worse than one sees in Star Wars or on tv shows I don't watch but see parts of.

I have since let the older two play and the younger two can play certain maps. I will say though I haven't let the younger two watch all the Star Wars. I will also say I am amazed at people who are okay with Star Wars and not other graphic stuff. Just my two cents.

About the party..............There are many times I haven't let my kids go somewhere because of what we have decided is okay or not. I wouldn't put it on the other mom to keep your son out of the room. I would just have my son skip the party.

Maybe you and your hubby could find some online friends to play Halo with and make the decision for next time.:tongue_smilie::lol:

Blessings,

Michele

If you are definitely against him playing, I'd just keep him home. I don't think those kids will want to move away from the video game if that's their big plan for tonight, and your son is just going to miserable and lonely like others have said.

I like the idea of doing something else with him tonight to make up for him having to miss out on the party. I'd also plan a sleepover with a couple of kids at YOUR house with more age appropriate activities for another night soon.

I'm a gamer. I've only played the first Halo, but I didn't think it was bad at all.

Honestly, I'd let my kid go. After all, it's just for one night. I just don't see how it's worth it for him to be the one kid left out. The kids that end up having aggression issues from M-rated video games are the ones who play them every day.

My son (age 11) is invited to a sleep over party. He has learned that they are going to play Halo 3 tonight. We do NOT allow M games. I think this is wrong of his friend's parents to even be allowing this at the party and we plan on telling them that our son can't play it, but at the same time where will our son go? In another room while their playing it? They even brought a huge larger than life screen tv home so that the kids can have it be more realistic. Our son is really struggling with this. He knows where we stand but wants to go to this party. It will be hard as he will need to stand up for what we stand for. Of course, at the same time he's telling us it's no worse than Star Wars but an M rating is an M rating. correct??? UGh!!!

It is MUCH worse than Star Wars.

Based on your feelings, I would suggest that you either try to talk the other parents out of Halo 3 (yeah, I know, good luck on that one), or tell your son you're sorry but he can't go to the party.

I would NOT put him in the position of going knowing that he will then have to resist not only peer pressure to play but his own temptations. He will either have an absolutely horrendous struggle on his hands to resist...or he'll give and defy you and then have to deal with the consequences of both his betrayal and the viewing of this game. I don't care how good of a kid he is, this is not a position I would want to put anyone in.

Google Halo 3 and you can view some screen shots and read more about the game. You'll see that this is not even close to Star Wars.

I know your son will be disappointed, perhaps even angry at you, but these are the types of hard decisions that every parent has to make. Perhaps you can arrange something fun for your family to do so that he will not just sit home and mope, and then in a couple weeks invite these same friends to your house for a more age appropriate party. Perhaps if these other boys realized that they can have fun without having to witness such violence they will be more open to parties without it.

:grouphug: to you for having to make the tough choices for your son.

I think you should call the other child's parent and let them know how you feel. Ask if they mind postponing the gameplay until later in the evening so that your ds can still attend and hang out for a few hours with his friends. You can pick him up before the gameplay begins.

If you don't want to do that then just call and let them know that he can't make it. It would be awful to be the one kid who had to go sit in another room at a birthday party.

:iagree: Very wise.

I think you should call the other child's parent and let them know how you feel. Ask if they mind postponing the gameplay until later in the evening so that your ds can still attend and hang out for a few hours with his friends. You can pick him up before the gameplay begins.

If you don't want to do that then just call and let them know that he can't make it. It would be awful to be the one kid who had to go sit in another room at a birthday party.

If you're not comfortable telling the mom and seeing how important Halo really is to the party, and if the schedule doesn't make it such that he could come home before the Halo part begins, I would do as Food4Thought suggests. Let him know you're sorry, but that this particular party won't be a good fit. I'd call the family and offer my regrets. And then we'd try to plan something extra fun at home this evening to help soften the blow. Maybe watching a favorite movie and ordering pizza, or roasting mini marshmallows over candles (use Teddy Grahams and chocolate chips to make mini s'mores!), or baking brownies together and playing board games...

:iagree:

I vote for 1) ask about the scheduling - will there be a time they will be doing something other than HALO that you could send him for? and 2) if not, I absolutely wouldn't send him because it will be very uncomfortable and sad for him and he'll feel like a huge outsider. Just be sure to really sympathize for the loss of the party and do a fun and special thing. I would also definitely let the mom know why he won't be there. I have a friend who has HALO and lets her 9-year-old play. Another friend's son was invited for a playdate, and so the mom (knowing about HALO from a previous playdate) said something about how she didn't want to tell anyone what they could do at their own house, but wanted her to be aware her son was not allowed to play that game. The other mom was totally understanding and receptive. It was her second child and she sort of stepped back and realized it probably was something lots of people wouldn't want their kids playing and she just hadn't thought of it. She realized she might not have wanted her oldest son playing that when he was 9, either.