Menu

what do shingles look like?

Do they start out looking like mosquito bites?

I am too much of a visual person to google it. I am afraid a gross image might be stuck in my head permanently.

UPDATE: We gave DS benedryl last night and the area looks much better this morning. I am pretty sure they are hives now. Thanks for the help!

Edited by unsinkable
update

When dh had it last summer, it started out looking like a pimple outbreak. Think an area...maybe the size of the palm of your hand *covered* in red bumps. Then they turned into whitish bumps.

I'd only kind-of noticed that he was "breaking out" when he finally complained about it, & I looked closer & sent him to the dr.

But ime, they don't start out looking like mosquito bites. Maybe razor burn, but...really, more pimply. In my *one* experience. :001_huh:

Have you ever seen chicken pox? They look a lot like that. When I first got them on my face, I thought they were coldsores.

Here is a description from Healthscout:

Before the shingles rash appears, one may have a slight fever and feel mildly fatigued. After about four or five days, reddish bumps appear in the painful area. A day or two later, that rash turns into what is the unmistakable hallmark of shingles: groups of tiny, clear blister on a red base. Over the following two or three weeks, the blister fluid first turn brownish, the blisters then dry out, forming crusts which drop off, sometimes leaving behind small pigmented areas where the rash had occurred.

...resembled chicken pox somewhat. And the sensation was what he described as shooting pains that burned/itched intensely from the inside of his body outward.

My DH had them 2 years ago. I sent him to the doc and they were able to give him something to lessen the effects. My DD also got chicken pox at the same time.

The rash hurts/burns, but doesn't necessarily itch, and is only on half the body. The pain can increase after the rash/blisters begin to heal. The person with shingles is contagious and can infect those who have not had chicken pox or who are immune compromised, so keep away from public places until the blisters heal.

If you think you might have them, you might want to see a doctor right away. When I got them last year, I went to the Urgent Care right away because they can prescribe an antiviral, but you need to start taking it pretty early. (I think in the first 48 hours.)

Have you ever seen chicken pox? They look a lot like that. When I first got them on my face, I thought they were coldsores.

Here is a description from Healthscout:

Before the shingles rash appears, one may have a slight fever and feel mildly fatigued. After about four or five days, reddish bumps appear in the painful area. A day or two later, that rash turns into what is the unmistakable hallmark of shingles: groups of tiny, clear blister on a red base. Over the following two or three weeks, the blister fluid first turn brownish, the blisters then dry out, forming crusts which drop off, sometimes leaving behind small pigmented areas where the rash had occurred.

:iagree:

This question was about my ds.

Mr. unsinkable thinks they are hives.

They are clustered one side of ds's hip.

We're thinking now that it might be an allergic reaction to his new baseball sliding shorts/cup combo. It has a wide elastic band and that's where the hives are.

I am paranoid -- I knew shingles can be stress related so I was thinking about all ds has been thru lately.

We gave him some benadryl. Hopefully it'll clear up by am.

UPDATE: We gave DS benedryl last night and the area looks much better this morning. I am pretty sure they are hives now. Thanks for the help!

The funny thing is that my youngest (DS) has a few bumps along his waist too. But his circle around both sides of his body.

It must be an elastic thing.