Menu

So, what would YOU think after reading this?

I completely feel for you on the being laughed at part. It must be in their organizational guidelines or something. Waaaayyyy back in the late 70s, when I was at the county fair (I went every year) I gathered my nerve to go to the 4-H booth to ask about joining. It just all seemed so NEAT to a city bound girl with zero outlets for anything other than LAWN around her.

Oh yeah, they laughed. And laughed. They told me to come back when I had my own sheep.

I'm sorry your daughter was disappointed.

asta

I completely feel for you on the being laughed at part. It must be in their organizational guidelines or something. Waaaayyyy back in the late 70s, when I was at the county fair (I went every year) I gathered my nerve to go to the 4-H booth to ask about joining. It just all seemed so NEAT to a city bound girl with zero outlets for anything other than LAWN around her.

Oh yeah, they laughed. And laughed. They told me to come back when I had my own sheep.

I'm sorry your daughter was disappointed.

asta

Same here. I was told that it was only for "farm kids".

Waaaayyyy back in the late 70s, when I was at the county fair (I went every year) I gathered my nerve to go to the 4-H booth to ask about joining. It just all seemed so NEAT to a city bound girl with zero outlets for anything other than LAWN around her.

You know, now that you mention it, I have a dim memory of a similar experience.

I would have read it as though you didn't need your own horse, and would have chalked up the $2.00 fee to either a typo (thinking they meant $20.00) or I would have assumed that the membership fee for 4-H off-set the costs. If you need to provide a horse, they should say so & they definitely shouldn't have laughed at you.

I would think that horses would be available since it said it was a chance for "all" members. Live and learn.

4-H has been a somewhat frustrating experience for us, yet we keep going back. I've seen the :001_rolleyes: when I've asked questions. It's HUGE in our area, so we're dealing with multiple generations of farm families that can be kind of clique-ish.

Yeah, really! Come to think of it, I just signed my daughter up for swimming lessons. Maybe I should call and ask them if I'm supposed to bring my own pool. Just to make sure! :lol:

They provide the pool. But you should probably show up with a couple of buckets of water, just in case. :lol:

Exactly! And we even live in the horse capital of the world, LOL. Riding lessons here are offered at a going rate of $25 per hour, per person, so most can't even afford lessons. That's why 4-H often steps in and gets us lessons for about $10 an hour, which is much more manageable.....

• 2 weeks later...
I'd have thought the same as you! ( and I think it was quite rude of them to laugh at you)

Why in the world does it say "for all members" if it doesn't actually mean that?

Exactly! I think they should've said something about all members with horses..........

I do wonder, though, how many of the people saying they would have known own horses or already have their children taking lessons. IOW, I think it's previous experience that makes it clear for them.

As for the people laughing :glare: That's just rude.

Actually, it is. In under 15 minutes I can have my truck hooked up to the trailer, my horse loaded and be on my way to lessons. I do it every week. We also trailer just to go ride a different trail and then come home. Many, many people trailer their horses several times a week to shows and such.

:iagree:. It's not that big of a deal to trailer a horse.

This was probably an offer to give lessons that are going to benefit the kids showing horses in the summer 4H shows. There are specific things that need to be learned to please the judges. A kid who hops on their horse and rides around on the farm is not going to know how to show a horse in Horsemanship or Showmanship classes. It takes a lot of practice to get a horse to stand square, back it up while using nothing but a 6 foot lead rope, have it spin on one hoof, etc.

Then there are the riding classes. Kids need to learn arena etiquette (riding the rail vs. riding through the arena), getting through the gate, etc. They need to practice the for the walk/trot classes where there are 20 other horses in the arena. They need to be spaced out so your horse is not riding up some other horse's rear end. The students need to learn to listen for the ring master's instruction on when to walk or trot.

I could go on and on. There is so much more to a show than just getting on a horse and riding around. Most 4Hers who would be taking the lessons would be beginning riders hoping to learn what to do.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

These are sad stories. I was a city girl (small town, but in a neighborhood,) and I was in 4-H for 12 years. I did sewing, cooking, crafts, etc. It was a great experience, and it shouldn't be reserved for farm kids!!

I agree those are sad stories. The national 4H program is currently trying to shed that "farm kid" image and encourage youth from all areas to join 4H. More emphasis is being placed on the non-livestock projects. There are many city clubs and non-livestock clubs for kids to join.

4H offers: sewing, cooking, rockets, electricity, entomology, small pets, photography, art, family life, robotics, woodoworking, and on and on.

My kids are in 4H and neither is showing livestock. DD used to show her horse but gave that up three years ago. Between the two of them there are 6 projects being entered in this year's fair: cooking, cat, entomology (2), rocket, community service and small pets (a gecko).