Menu

can you take a look at my K plan for next year please

Aoife

first off thanks so much for the help! This will be my first time doing K and I want to make sure we are set to go and on the right path. Constructive criticism welcome :)

This is for a mathy, early reader boy

Mcruffy LA 1

FLL 1

AAS 2

SM STD 1A - Main

Saxon 1 - supplement

Rightstart B - supplement

Mcruffy Science K with extra thames and Kosmos kits

HWT

Galloping the globe

Mind Benders and critical thinking core book

trying to decide if we need any history other then just doing galloping the globe. I don't want to start SOTW until his first grade year.

I am not familiar with McRuffy so can't comment on those but everything else looks fine. I personally think Galloping the Globe will be plenty and you will not need an additional history program especially if you would like to hold off on starting SOTW.

Oh, and from what i have heard (again no experience) Saxon is about a grade level behind so you may not find Saxon 1 as challenging or helpful as a supplement to SM and RS.

We did use three math programs (went through 5 full levels of math this year between Singapore, Horizons, and Miquon) for K and it worked out well for my math-crazy ds. However, I've heard that both Rightstart and Saxon are teacher intensive. That would be hard for me (especially with a toddler running around :001_huh:). Have you thought about using a less teacher-intensive program instead? BTW, I was also thinking that Saxon 1 would be much easier than the other two levels you're planning on using...but I don't have any experience with it, just what I've gathered from the board.

Are you planning on literature read alouds? I'd opt for that instead of history since you're planning on SOTW next year. That's my preference though. We waited until 1st to start history and enjoyed a lot of books last year.

I think it looks great, but Saxon is a grade behind at that level, IMO, at least as you get going. RightStart is teacher intensive, but if I had to choose between RightStart & Singapore Math, I'd choose Singapore (that's actually what I did at one point.) However, if you can swing both SM & RightStart that ought to work well. If you really want a third, I'd suggest something like Miquon, MEP or CSMP (or even if you want only two) to add to the other.

You don't need any other history unless your dc demands more.

I have a mathy early reader boy, too. We started schooling last year because he was READY. If he is really mathy, you might want to look into Horizons. It is supposedly a little above grade level. DS ran through the Kindergarten, First, Second and Third Grade books in 10 months! So be prepared if math is really a strength.:001_smile:

HWT is great. We used it last year and are now moving into A Reason for Handwriting.

We are using FLL for next year. I didn't get a lot of language arts in this year simply because DS went so fast with math and reading (now on a 5th grade level).

Just remember to be flexible if this is the first year of him actually sitting down and doing work. They can really surprise you!

Sometimes I still feel like I am running to catch up with DS on his studies!

What's the rationale behind not continuing on with Miquon? I would tend to think that would be a better supplement to Singapore & RS than Saxon. I've not personally used either Miquon or Saxon but everything I hear for "mathy" kids tend to be raves for the former and negative comments for the latter.

I previewed Saxon 5/4 for my oldest and thought all the repetition would absolutely drive her nuts. And while she's typically quick to pick up on math concepts being taught, I wouldn't consider her "mathy" the way some kids are (including her younger brother).

the main reason for Saxon is we own all of it from K on up to 5/6 :P Second main reason is my dad and DH really like it an are really mathy people. I tend to enjoy more teacher intensive programs personally and DS thrives the more he can do with mommy.

I tried to love miquon I really really did, I read all of the teacher's books but it's still foreign language to me and I almost dread pulling it out so it got sidelined and just sits on the shelf. DS likes to play with the rods sometimes to do buildings and stuff but he gets much more into thing that are very structured. I think he takes after me in that aspect as we both thrive in structure and fall apart with too much freedom LOL

Second main reason is my dad and DH really like it an are really mathy people. I tend to enjoy more teacher intensive programs personally and DS thrives the more he can do with mommy.
MEP. And it's free. :D

I've used Right Start, Singapore, Miquon Orange and MEP, the first two with my HG/EG eldest, and the second with my (apparently... who knew? :blushing:) math intuitive youngest. MEP is without a doubt my favourite elementary math program. I was more than won over after seeing what MEP accomplishes while only working with 2's, 1's and 0's early on in Y1a.

the main reason for Saxon is we own all of it from K on up to 5/6 :P Second main reason is my dad and DH really like it an are really mathy people. I tend to enjoy more teacher intensive programs personally and DS thrives the more he can do with mommy.

I tried to love miquon I really really did, I read all of the teacher's books but it's still foreign language to me and I almost dread pulling it out so it got sidelined and just sits on the shelf. DS likes to play with the rods sometimes to do buildings and stuff but he gets much more into thing that are very structured. I think he takes after me in that aspect as we both thrive in structure and fall apart with too much freedom LOL

When we used Saxon, we skipped chapters and chapters at the beginning of each text and only did some problems to avoid too much review.

If you like teacher intensive programs, I'd go with Singapore & RightStart or Singapore & MEP. If you print the teacher guide it's very teacher intensive, and all you pay for is the ink & paper--far cheaper than RightStart and very good. Since you have Saxon for free, I'd use it as the extra after the other two. Some mathy people like it, but some mathy people loathe it :).

Don't forget to mix up the "traditional" math time with the many "fun" math books like the Stuart Murphy books - I had lots of great discussions and activity time with my 2 girls reading these books and applying the concepts they learned into fun practice.

My DH is very mathy and loved the higher levels of Saxon when he was homeschooled, but he was at a point where he could (& would) work through each chapter at his own pace with minimal supervision. He did not like the lower levels of Saxon as they moved so slowly.

FWIW, I think 3 math programs might be a bit much as well. I would go with 2 at first, then add a 3rd if you feel it is appropriate. I also think the one history program will be sufficient.

first off thanks so much for the help! This will be my first time doing K and I want to make sure we are set to go and on the right path. Constructive criticism welcome :)

Mcruffy LA 1

FLL 1

AAS 2.

How are you planning on combining McRuffy LA, FLL & AAS? Just wondering because McRuffy LA included spelling and grammar.

Mcruffy LA 1

FLL 1

AAS 2

SM STD 1A - Main

Saxon 1 - supplement

Rightstart B - supplement

Mcruffy Science K with extra thames and Kosmos kits

HWT

Galloping the globe

Mind Benders and critical thinking core book

trying to decide if we need any history other then just doing galloping the globe. I don't want to start SOTW until his first grade year.

Unless he's BEGGING for as much structured curriculum as possible, I'd save the extra LA components (FLL, AAS) for later or just use the McRuffy phonics component. (And even if he's begging for more lessons, I'm the kind of mean mom to say "Go play," because there are things kids can only learn through free play. But that's just me... )

Maybe supplement with Literature Pockets or something fun and more hands on if you want to.

Have fun :D

so since I have originally posted we have completely redone our plan :lol: We are going to do sonlight P 4/5 next year and when he finishes up MUS primer (we just started) we'll go into alpha. But our K year will be held off by a year since he is pretty young even if he is ahead for his age. I am feeling mroe comfortable about the slower approach just as long as he still feels challenged and enjoys it. We've been using the McRuffy phonics part of the curriculum only but my mom got the kiddos SSRW so we shall see what happens there. Our K year will be

MUS alpha - beta (depending on where he is then)

SM 1A

FLL

AAS

SL K with readers 1

McRuffy science

HWT

and lots and lots of reading and art projects.

I did actually just pick up a pack of the literature pockets and the history portfolio junior but we'll see when we feel like adding that in.

so since I have originally posted we have completely redone our plan :lol: We are going to do sonlight P 4/5 next year and when he finishes up MUS primer (we just started) we'll go into alpha. But our K year will be held off by a year since he is pretty young even if he is ahead for his age. I am feeling mroe comfortable about the slower approach just as long as he still feels challenged and enjoys it. We've been using the McRuffy phonics part of the curriculum only but my mom got the kiddos SSRW so we shall see what happens there. Our K year will be

SM 1A

FLL

AAS

SL K with readers 1

McRuffy science

HWT

I did actually just pick up a pack of the literature pockets and the history portfolio junior but we'll see when we feel like adding that in.

Looks great! I would encourage you not to rush through the SL P programs. They are really rich and can lead to many fun and educational bunny trails. Both the Lion's Bedtime Storybook and Stories from Around the World are great for geography. You can start new curricula anytime, not just at the beginning of the year.

SM 1A

FLL

AAS

SL K with readers 1

McRuffy science

HWT

I think this looks great. You have room to do more if he demands it, but don't have to if he's happy. My kids learned a LOT from play at that age, as well, which you probably already know.