Menu

If kittens die with a misplaced apostraphe, then

puppies die when ADVISE is used in place of ADVICE.

Sorry if this is obnoxious, but I can't take it anymore ......

advice [ədˈvaɪs]

noun 1. recommendation as to appropriate choice of action; counsel

2. (sometimes plural) formal notification of facts, esp when communicated from a distance

advise [ədˈvaɪz]

verb (when tr, may take a clause as object or an infinitive) 1. to offer advice (to a person or persons); counsel he advised the king to advise caution he advised her to leave

2. (tr; sometimes foll by of) Formal to inform or notify

3. (intr; foll by with) Chiefly US, obsolete in Brit to consult or discuss

Please, please, please:

You give ADVICE (with a C). You do not give ADVISE (with an S).

You can ADVISE a person but you cannot give them ADVISE.

Let the flames begin. :)

I knew I would have a mistake of some kind and frankly I have no problem with the regular typos that happen on-line - including my own. But this advise/advice is a regular mistake that happens on this board with frequency. I think people are confused - not just typing fast.

So, I apologize for my typo and still stand by my message.... :)

The other issue is that you cannot fix titles once you have posted even when you see your typo. Why is that?

The other issue is that you cannot fix titles once you have posted even when you see your typo. Why is that?

I don't think you can edit a title after someone posts to the thread. You can before, but not after.

Frankly, kittens probably die at the rate of one every 10 seconds or so (worldwide) anyway. A kitten is going to die while you're pluralizing WHETHER YOU USE AN APOSTROPHE OR NOT!

I'm not saying it's right to use apostrophes to pluralize, but we're creating trauma in our grammar-challenged board sisters when we accuse them of killing kittens. And think of what we're doing to little Well-Trained Mind students! They could be scarred for life.

Probably 10 kittens died while I wrote this post. I don't *think* I caused their deaths.

I knew I would have a mistake of some kind and frankly I have no problem with the regular typos that happen on-line - including my own. But this advise/advice is a regular mistake that happens on this board with frequency. I think people are confused - not just typing fast.

So, I apologize for my typo and still stand by my message.... :)

This is going to come across really rude, just because you can't hear the tone in my voice. I am asking a sincere question, not being snarky.

Why is it more acceptable to dismiss spelling errors, but then judge others who, just as innocently mix up words? Spelling errors can be easily prevented by using a spell check, word inversion can't. Why is one that is preventable, seen as more acceptable than one that is not?

Every one here has weaknesses. Why do only the people who aren't as skilled in word choice or being grammatically accurate, get called out?

PS, I don't think anyone is really judging others, right?! Loose and Lose... and others are a GGRRRHHH to some, because when they (we?) read the post, we "imaging" that the person doesn't know the difference between the two. When you think about it, perhaps they do... or don't... but neither do half of the other people in the world. (even, or perhaps especially, do some of the public educators)

Grace people... we can give each other grace. AND, think of these posts that point out errors... with a bit of humor, instead of thinking that the OP is making a serious personal attack on others..

:)

PS, I don't think anyone is really judging others, right?! Loose and Lose... and others are a GGRRRHHH to some, because when they (we?) read the post, we "imaging" that the person doesn't know the difference between the two. When you think about it, perhaps they do... or don't... but neither do half of the other people in the world. (even, or perhaps especially, do some of the public educators)

Grace people... we can give each other grace. AND, think of these posts that point out errors... with a bit of humor, instead of thinking that the OP is making a serious personal attack on others..

But it is getting really common and acceptable to point out other's errors. It isn't necessary and may not be quite as funny to the people who struggle a bit with language usage. It isn't very welcoming to people who may want to post, but are afraid of making a faux pas and getting called out for it.

This is going to come across really rude, just because you can't hear the tone in my voice. I am asking a sincere question, not being snarky.

Why is it more acceptable to dismiss spelling errors, but then judge others who, just as innocently mix up words? Spelling errors can be easily prevented by using a spell check, word inversion can't. Why is one that is preventable, seen as more acceptable than one that is not?

Every one here has weaknesses. Why do only the people who aren't as skilled in word choice or being grammatically accurate, get called out?

Oh, gosh, I am not trying to upset anybody and I am "judging" others. Typos are absolutely different than people consistently misusing words like ALOT for A LOT. The ADVICE/ADVISE thing is something I see on a regular basis and I think we should all help each other out when we are confused.

Oh, gosh, I am not trying to upset anybody and I am "judging" others. Typos are absolutely different than people consistently misusing words like ALOT for A LOT. The ADVICE/ADVISE thing is something I see on a regular basis and I think we should all help each other out when we are confused.

Then why not send that person a pm? Wouldn't it be more effective to actually point it out to the offender? How effective is the attempt to correct people, by placing it in a post that may or may not get read by the 'confused'.

Is your first line another typo, or are you really saying that you do judge others for their accidental misuse of a commonly misspelled word? Are we less worthy? Do we have less important points of view? If we make a mistake, why are we getting judged, when someone who misspells words isn't? Isn't it essentially the same? Just a misspelling? Just a typo?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I am new here but I wanted to add my pet peeve. It is when someone has something for sale, not SELL.

I regularly see this "For sell-Apologia....etc..." It needs to say For Sale.

That is all.

Wait, I do have another thought about this. I think as homeschoolers, we have a very hard time proving to the world we are capable. I know one of the questions I am going to be asked by friends and family when we tell them we are going to homeschool our highschoolers is "Are you able to teach algebra? Do you know how to do calculus?". It's a tough road and maybe for some it speaks volumes about their abilities but for others its simply an oversight. In any case, grace is needed.

Edited by MIC in OH

Then why not send that person a pm? Wouldn't it be more effective to actually point it out to the offender? How effective is the attempt to correct people, by placing it in a post that may or may not get read by the 'confused'.

Is your first line another typo, or are you really saying that you do judge others for their accidental misuse of a commonly misspelled word? Are we less worthy? Do we have less important points of view? If we make a mistake, why are we getting judged, when someone who misspells words isn't? Isn't it essentially the same? Just a misspelling? Just a typo?

I do not know why you are taking this so personally. Again, there are typos all over these boards as well as IRL. I see the Advice/Advise mistake happening across all kinds of posts and JUST LIKE OTHERS HAVE DONE IN THE PAST am sharing that this common mistake is that, a mistake.

I'm all done now.

I do not know why you are taking this so personally. Again, there are typos all over these boards as well as IRL. I see the Advice/Advise mistake happening across all kinds of posts and JUST LIKE OTHERS HAVE DONE IN THE PAST am sharing that this common mistake is that, a mistake.

I'm all done now.

You said "let the flames begin" and acknowledged that you were being "obnoxious" by posting it. Why should I not take it personally? You knew when you posted it, that it could stir a pot.

I see both sides of this: By saying "This really bugs me" or the like, then proceed to say that something people on this board do, it could be seen as flaming or putting people down. Instead, maybe it could be mentioned as more of an FYI.

I don't think the OP was trying to put people down. It could be taken personally, OR we could say, "Hmmm, I didn't know the difference between those two words. Now I do. Glad I read this post!"

Just some musings.....

I imagine it's because you can't see my math skills (or lack of them, rather) in my posts, nor do I have to try to remember geography, history, etc. We have to use grammar, spelling etc. in every post.

I used 'due' instead of 'do' recently in an email to someone. I didn't notice it until I got their reply and looked at my original email to them in review. I know when to use each, but I suppose in my brain those two are near each other due to being homophones and if I'm really thinking hard about the subject it may come out wrong on the keys. My point is, I agree that we make mistakes in typing (and speech) even though we know the right way to do it. It's natural, not stupid.

I consider it a typo when you accidentally hit a key rifgt bewide the keu you mesnt to hit. Perhaps my definition is too narrow?