Menu

What to do in Williamsburg in the rain?

Go to the colonial area? lol

I think there are supposed to be some outlet malls around, if that's your thing. We tried to go to one, but it was extremely lame, and we have Potomac Mills here already. I also think there's probably enough to do at Busch Gardens itself--they have lots of shows and stuff.

But really, if the forecast is for REALLY terrible weather, I'd just cancel.

Perhaps you could meet SWB for tea?

Guest Virginia Dawn

If the weather is warm and the rain is light you can still have fun at Busch. If it's pouring or cold and windy, reschedule.

If the weather is warm and the rain is light you can still have fun at Busch. If it's pouring or cold and windy, reschedule.

There are plenty of indoor shows to attend at Busch Gardens. The Irish step dancing is awesome and my dc really enjoyed the Pirates movie. Both are indoor theaters.

http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/williamsburg-attractions/index.aspx

There are several different genres to search for. Last time we were there, we did Ripley's Believe It Or Not, an outlet mall near to that, and the Yankee Candle Factory.

We enjoy the ocassional "touristy" type things, and if you do too, you may like the places I mentioned. There are several good museums around, too, that I have visited in the past that are on the attractions links. There is a TON of stuff to do!

~Lisa

There's a good used bookstore next to the Fresh Market. Prime Outlets is nice but skip the other outlet mall because it is truly useless. If you're up for an hour drive, Richmond has Jefferson Davis' house and Civil War Museum (all indoors). The Yorktown Victory Center is also all indoors but you'd miss the outdoor tour and cannon firing if it's raining hard.

I hope the weather is nice for your trip, there's not much to do in Wbg if it rains on you.

A few years ago, when my dc were your kids' ages, it rained on the day we set aside for Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. We woke up, and it was pouring. We stayed at the hotel until late morning, went to a leisurely Southern lunch at the Chickahominy House (not expensive), and by then, the rain had lightened up some. We went on to Busch Gardens and had a BLAST! The rains stopped, there were no crowds due to the rain, and my dc were able to ride every coaster multiple times.

My now 15 yo dd says, "The kids will still want to go to Busch Gardens even if it's raining. Take ponchos." It was probably the most fun we've ever had at a theme park.

and there are some indoor shows to see, but otherwise there is really nothing to do here in the rain. As a matter of fact, this conversation came up just last weekend as we were standing under a tarp watching sleet and planning to leave an event we were participating in at New Quater Park. We lamented that there is nothing to do here but go to sleep in front of th TV on a rainy weekend. Shopping is really not our thing. I will say this- The Jamestowne Settlement Museum is mostly inside and the outside exhibits are fine with an umbrella if it is not raining too hard. Also, I thing Yorktown has an indoor museum. Ds and I do Jamestowne all the time, and dh doesn't do museums so there is even less for us to do in the rain.

Since moving to VA nine years ago I've learned that if you do not like the weather just wait a bit it will change :001_smile: Unlike where we have lived in the past the weather can change very quickly here. I live very close to Busch Gardens and I agree with Virginia Dawn that you can still have fun if the rain is not an all day event. Even though we live here, my kids love going to the Yankee Candle shop so you may want to check that out. Also, there is a nice museum in Newport News called the Virginia Living Museum. I hope the weather turns out nice for you and you can enjoy Busch Gardens :001_smile:

Virginia Beach and Norfolk are within range.

There are a TON of things to do in both of those beautiful cities.

My hometown :)

Don't limit yourself to Wmsbg area if it's raining.

Plus, it'll change anyway - this week we've had shorts and turtlenecks both on!

Just the information I was looking for. I'd forgotten about the Army Transportation Museum, ds would love that.

I know about driving to Norfolk and Va Beach and that's just not what I want to do from Williamsburg. I grew up in the Poquoson and have experience with that drive! Mostly in the summer, which I know is a whole different ballgame!

Thanks again.

We've donned rain slickers and gone with the flow from Disney to the Great Lakes. If it's not too, too cold and the rain isn't pouring down so hard that you can't navigate, then have fun (and keep a dry set of clothes - or two - in the car for when you can't stand it any longer). The first time I went to Williamsburg, my family was on a bus tour and we only had the afternoon there. It was raining - hard. My Dad said, "A little water won't hurt us." And away we went! We had great fun (I think the reason I still recall that with fondness is that it was *so* unlike my Dad.....)

I believe Busch has a waterpark, so if there's no associated lightning and it's open, you can have fun while being wet.

Regena