Menu

How Much is Enough?

I'm sure this has been asked before, so feel free to direct me to another post, if it exists ...

How much is enough? We're trying to finish up our school year (kind of used to the PS schedule, since this is only our 2nd year of HS and my son is still in PS). Our state requires 175 days of instruction. Well, she has some days where she only works for a couple of hours due to other things coming up. Would you count that as a day?

In some classes, I'm having her finish the course, regardless of the # of days spent on it, so those aren't an issue. But other classes aren't so well-defined. Would you count the # of days spent on each subject? Would you base it on hours? I just want to make sure she's not getting too little education.

I'm especially eager to get this figured out now, because she starts 9th grade next year, and I feel I should have even better documentation of the courses she's completed. I know I've heard that if you completed 75% of a textbook, you can consider that "course" completed. But what if the work takes a lot longer for your student? That's a major benefit of HS, you can take as much time as they need to learn it, right? And what if it's not a textbook? I know I could set some learning goals at the beginning of the year, but those are subject to change anyway, depending on how well she's learning the material.

Looking forward to all your helpful insight!

Weellll. I've always made mine finish their books. All the way to the end.

Until this year. This year I am going with we are stopping on this past Monday morning. (Except for English and math. Those must be completed until the last page.)

Yes, I know I write in incomplete sentences.

You know what I wondered the other day? Did we ever finish text books in school? I just don't remember getting to the last page and going "There! All done!" I don't think we ever finished ................. did we? :bigear:

You know what I wondered the other day? Did we ever finish text books in school? I just don't remember getting to the last page and going "There! All done!" I don't think we ever finished ................. did we? :bigear:

Nope. In fact, that is what made me stop this year. I found out how far the local ps got in Chemistry. We were WAY past that point. I decided it was enough.:D

When you feel it is enough! Did that help?

When I was doing high sschool with my ds, I had clear cut goals for each course. I tried to reach between 160-180 hours with each course, but that is just a rough estimate. Reaching those goals was much more important. Some things took longer, some took less time.

You're the teacher. Do you feel like you've done enough?

We finish our books. All of them to the end.(I am picky, sorry-- I totally understand people saying public schools don't-- but IMHO that is just one of their many problems*please no stones, I am hiding behind the couch:001_huh:* If we go into the summer, thats fine. If we end a particular subject early, then they are done. We are offically done in 10 days. They do have things the will be doing in the summer in addition to math (which is normal) we will not do everything everyday, but we will do 2 subjects a day until completed. That way they are not feeling like they are still *in school* it will just be an hour to an hour and a half a day and they will still finish:001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I totally understand people saying public schools don't-- but IMHO that is just one of their many problems*:001_smile:

I thought about finishing my post with personal results because of this -- I took all the high level math and science in high school and got mostly A grades. I know (knew) way more than I needed to know to succeed in life and college (also graduated from honors there). That was kind of my point -- work on it, but don't feel pressured to Finish The Book at all costs because people don't and still do well.

I thought about finishing my post with personal results because of this -- I took all the high level math and science in high school and got mostly A grades. I know (knew) way more than I needed to know to succeed in life and college (also graduated from honors there). That was kind of my point -- work on it, but don't feel pressured to Finish The Book at all costs because people don't and still do well.

This could just be where we are, the schools here just do not care. They pass kids that cant read, that can not do basic math. This is our 2nd year homeschooling. We stopped when my dd finished 4th grade. She was on the honor roll from 2nd grade on (they did not have honor roll for 1st graders) but when I got her home, and started our 5th grade math book that fall, she could not do any of it. So I backed her up to a 4th grade book. Nope, nothing. She was barely at a 3rd grade level and yet on the honor roll the every 9 weeks since 2nd. She was a terrible oral reader, not good in english. It was really hard work catching her up. She is doing awewome now (though last year was no fun-- she did get caught up) So I guess I should have put in my first post that is what is wrong with *our* public schools. My dd told me that they barely got through half their math book in 4th. So that is where I am coming from. Our public schools are beyond pathetic! I know there are some that are much more academically sound than ours!

ETA: I am hoping to get to a point where I do not feel like I have to, but after last year, I can not leave any undone and I am always testing for retention!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My parents are both retired p.s. teachers. They laugh at my insistence at finishing all of our books every year. :D

We are finishing Math, LA's et. al., and SOTW. I hope to be done with those by his State-required testing on June 4th. If not, I will continue with lessons until they are done. I pray they are done. I need a break.

DS has 4 Homeschool Science Workshops in June and a week long Science camp in July which will 'finish' his science for the year.

I attended private school grades 1-12 -- every book was completed every year. That's the way it was.

I've been a classroom teacher in private schools - every book is completed every year....if a teacher suspected (and there were detailed lesson plans prepared on a weekly basis) that a book/subject was not going to be completed by the last day of school, he/she was required to inform the Principal usually no later than the middle of April.

This school year, my dd was in a 4-day week homeschool tutorial (basically a private school for homeschoolers), she didn't finish any textbook. Most of the textbooks they used are public school texts.

They didn't complete the World History text (only got to World War II). Algebra 1 textbook was finished up to chapter 11 (don't remeber exactly what topic). In Biology the teacher picked about 12 chapters out of the text for the students to do this year. I think there were many 20 chapters.

In World Geography they used a mix of Abeka (finished the entire text) and BJU Cultural Geography from which the teacher chose a mix of chapters to cover.

Personally I think if the text is written for public school it is impossible to finish due to the large numbers of things they stuff into them. But most homeschool textbooks are meant to be covered in one school year and should be.

ETA: This is another the reason (there are others) that we are choosing not to continue using this tutorial after our 1 year experiment. It is just not right for our family.

Edited by Beth in TN
added info

So it sounds like the general advice is not to be too concerned about the exact # of days. Count those "short" days. The only thing our school district requires is written documentation that they were "in school" for that many days. No testing, no portfolios. Such freedom! (At the beginning of the school year, they do want to see your general outline.)

Thank you for the advice. It helps!

I have yet to feel like we have done enough. I mainly just get to the point where we all need a break. I think that is a sign that we are done for the year!

Seriously, I remember counting down the days in PS until we got a break. I think it is human nature and I feel the same way with homeschooling.

No matter if we finished every book or schooled year round, there is so much information out there that I don't think I would ever feel we are done. I just say, "That is enough." Then I assign reading and some math for the summer!!

My husband is required to finish all of his math & language arts curriculum with his first graders. All the teacher in his district have pacing they must stay on. Though, I find that just as, if not more, horrible as not finishing the book.

So many options. You can school like public schools...

Finish the book no matter what and never slow down if the student has a tough spot.

Or deal with so many absences and behavior problems that you never finish the book.

Or you can school like a home schooler...

Finish the book because you spent more days on it.

Finish the book because you felt it was necessary.

Don't finish the book because you felt it wasn't necessary.

Don't finish the book because you slowed down, supplemented, enjoyed the roses and your child learned plenty.

Set the book aside and pick it back up again after a break.

Chuck the book across the room because you are sick to death of it and buy something else.

Well, the options are endless with homeschooling. :D

I like you, Daisy.

My husband is required to finish all of his math & language arts curriculum with his first graders. All the teacher in his district have pacing they must stay on. Though, I find that just as, if not more, horrible as not finishing the book.

So many options. You can school like public schools...

Finish the book no matter what and never slow down if the student has a tough spot.

Or deal with so many absences and behavior problems that you never finish the book.

Or you can school like a home schooler...

Finish the book because you spent more days on it.

Finish the book because you felt it was necessary.

Don't finish the book because you felt it wasn't necessary.

Don't finish the book because you slowed down, supplemented, enjoyed the roses and your child learned plenty.

Set the book aside and pick it back up again after a break.

Chuck the book across the room because you are sick to death of it and buy something else.

Well, the options are endless with homeschooling. :D

We have always been a bit lax in this area. If we need a day off, but need that day to count (we need 180) dd and I do something very simple and call it school. If she has a 1 hour outside lesson that means she had school that day. If we bake a cake and call it life skills she had school that day.

There might be 5 or 6 days a year like that. I figure if PS kids get counted for a full day after completing 3 hours we can do something similar.

As for the book, it is built in to our year that we start first page on the first day, and end on the last page sometiime in late spring. Most are finished by the beginning of May so that we spend a lot of time doing make up work in May.

Do what is best for your family.

Edited by Parrothead