Menu

What brand/style of back pack for college?

Ds has a Jantzen backpack that has served him well, but after 2 years of 40lb daily loads, he is ready for a new one. It is still structurally together, but I would like to get one that doesn't have the few worn thin areas that may allow his textbooks to get wet.

What brand/style/features do you recommend?

What would he like? My kids, including my 21 yr old, all have packs from LL Bean. If they rip or a zipper breaks, they replace for free. They have all kinds, and some have special compartments for laptops etc. I'd have him look at the catalog on- line so he could choose something that he will feel comfortable with.

Truth be told, my 21 yr old is still using the pack he got for Christmas when he was 17 (to replace the one he had been using since age 8).

Truth be told, my 21 yr old is still using the pack he got for Christmas when he was 17 (to replace the one he had been using since age 8).

LOL that is how ds is. He lives simply and doesn't like waste. He will say it is fine and not to buy him one. I would like to preserve the cost of the textbooks in the backpack!

What would he like? My kids, including my 21 yr old, all have packs from LL Bean. If they rip or a zipper breaks, they replace for free. They have all kinds, and some have special compartments for laptops etc. I'd have him look at the catalog on- line so he could choose something that he will feel comfortable with.

We use LLBean backpacks too. We have only had to replace dd's "new" one. They all used one for 1-8 (when they went to school.) Dd wanted a bigger one for high school and the handle tore off the top (she hung it by the handle when it was full.) They replaced it with a smile (we have a store near us.) The other two dc(18 & 13) are still using their 1st grade LLBean backpacks.

We use Land's End backpacks. Ds had one from 5th grade to high school (tho it wasn't used daily in hs as we homeschooled LOL). He got a Swiss Army brand one for college, but we could easily have gone with another LE or a Bean's. Both are top quality.

Could you simply reinforce the one he has, with an interior iron-on or something? Would it make him feel better to keep the same backpack?

I bought a great backpack from Eastern Mountain Company that lasted me through college and traveled around the world with me. I still have it and it's in great shape, clean and completely usable - it's 15 years old !! I will always buy Eastern Mountain Company for backpacks.

http://www.ems.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=4058658

ETA: This thread inspired me to make a small post about my backpack with a picture on my blog!!

Edited by MissKNG

We use Land's End backpacks. Ds had one from 5th grade to high school (tho it wasn't used daily in hs as we homeschooled LOL). He got a Swiss Army brand one for college, but we could easily have gone with another LE or a Bean's. Both are top quality.

Could you simply reinforce the one he has, with an interior iron-on or something? Would it make him feel better to keep the same backpack?

:iagree:

I got my niece a Lands End backpack when she was in high school. I believe she took it to college. My kids all have one (except my oldest who hates backpacks) as does my dh.

I use a Jansport (padded back). It works well. I don't remember how long I've had it, but it's at least 5 years.

I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of the backpacks mentioned in the thread.

What about a messenger bag? They distribute the weight very well over the shoulder, rather than on the back, which can get very tiring. Both of these companies also make backpacks.

Here are a few great-quality brands which are highly valued in the bike messenger and commuter community (they want quality and are very picky -- I know -- my DH has been through 3 until he found this perfect bag, a Chrome):

Timbuk2 - We just got notice that all Timbuk2s will be 20% off at their upcoming Anniversary sale which runs 5/21 - 5/31.

Chrome