Menu

BODIES, The Exhibition

Thinking about going, and am looking for BTDT insight. Has anyone else seen this? From the website:

This Exhibition--which features actual human specimens--allows people of all ages access to sights and knowledge normally reserved only for medical professionals. Take the opportunity to peer inside yourself, to better understand how your elaborate and fascinating body works, and how you can become a more informed participant in your own health care.

LINK: http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

Well, I haven't been to this. I did have an A&P class in college with a cadaver lab. I actually found it easier to understand and learn about the body through visuals like pictures and videos. It was hard to figure out what was what on the human specimen because most things are all the same color. If your child plans to go into the medical field I think it would be beneficial. If nothing else it can help them get used to working with human cadavers.

I did not go, and won't. I don't know how the exhibitor acquired these bodies, for one thing. I have other reasons, but am not up for a fight, so won't say more.

If you knew how the bodies were acquired, you would have even more reasons to boycott this sick exhibit.

My husband and I went when it was in AZ and liked it. I'm usually leery to look at stuff like this but it ended up being a neat experience.

I was in Las Vegas with my son in March and he wanted to see (it's at the Luxor) it but I thought he was too young. Maybe in a few years I'd let him see it.

The exhibit I saw said that the bodies were donated to the project. I thought the creator had consent from most of the bodies.

There were a picture of a body on exhibit in London that was of a woman who was pregnant and drowned herself. I believe it was 100 or 200 years old. Not sure if I'm remembering that right, but obviously she wouldn't have given consent.

There was a section with fetuses on exhibit and I could see how some people couldn't handle that. It was behind curtains so you could choose to go in and see it.

We saw that exact one a few years ago. The bodies were fascinating and it really wasn't gruesome for the kids. Young children would probably not get as much out of the anatomy information as older ones.

That said, the exhibitor cannot confirm that the people whose bodies were used for this exhibit gave their consent, and it is suspected that these are executed prisoners. For that reason, I believe it is unethical and I will not go again.

I went with a friend and our kids, who were 12 and 13 at the time. We all thought it was amazing and learned so much. Some of the displays were disturbing but made a point (like the one of lungs after years of smoking.) We did choose to view the fetuses, although I can understand someone not doing that.

I think you have to decide the morality of it for yourself.

According to this article, (and 20/20 evidently) "Bodies: the Exhibition" does still purchase bodies from China, which may be excecuted dissidents. Dr. Gunther von Hagens of Body Worlds, the more reputable body plastination outfit, does not use bodies from China. (This article was written in 2008.)

I have been to two different Body Worlds exhibits, and enjoyed them both. I took both my kids, and their friends. I think my youngest went for the first time at age 8.

It's a lot different than a cadaver lab, because the parts are all cleaned off and plastinated, and there's no formaldehyde smell. It's pretty easy to tell what's what.