Menu

Do have a favorite foreign fruit?

I have many. There is this tangy sweet fruit that I have seen available in europe and the midddle east but not here: Loquats. The good thing is that we have seen loquat trees in Orlando. We gathered up as much of the fruit as we could and we have planted the pits and they have grown. I can't wait until it starts to fruit.

I mentioned earlier -- my mom has a ton growing in her yard, and I recently saw (for the first time) some at a grocery store. They are really nice. I say it's like the texture of a pear with the taste of something citrus (orange? pineapple?) with those cute, giant black seeds inside.

• 10 months later...
Palmelo ( i am not sure if I spelled it right). We found it here in Malaysia and I am ADDICTED.

Heather,

I brought three pommelos to my friend's family when they had us over for dinner. The husband's mom is Chinese from Malaysia while the wife is American. The husband usually eats one grapefruit a day while the wife thinks it is too bitter and doesn't eat it. So she thought I brought grapefruit, but after she tried the pomelos, she liked it a lot because of its mild sweet and juicy taste.

I grew up in the north of China and when I went to work in the south, two hours north of Hongkong, I discovered pommelo and fell in love. So you are not alone!!!

Persimmons, they're wonderful and are usually found in your local asian supermarket. But I live in a small town and that is not always the case, urgh!!!

I grew up stringing the baby green persimmons into necklaces for fun! We had lots of persimmon trees and the dry preserved kind is still my favorite. I love the fresh ones, too.

lychee. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. We eat them canned all the time. Never had fresh.

The fresh ones are even better! They are juicy and sweet. But if you eat too many, you may develop a sore throat because it has a lot of heat according to the Chinese medicine. I grew a taste of them when I worked and lived in Guangzhou for 11 years.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread!!!

When I lived in Israel, I loved eating a fruit called "shesek" (שסק).

After moving to US, I tried to find it here without success - didn't know the English name for it.

So, I'm reading this thread and googling all these fruit names and here it is - loquat!

:party:

Like Peela and Rosie said, most of these fruits are available here. The northern parts of Australia are in the tropics, and grow there fruit readily.

Dragenfruit can be grown in Victoria, we have some planted, but it hasn't fruited yet, so I don't know what colour.

What I love is Passionfruit. We have it growing on out water tank. It is so tangy and yummy, just the thought of it has my mouth watering.

What about some exotic native Australian fruit like Lillypillies? it makes really nice jam (Jelly).

I miss a lot of the fruits we had when I was a kid. I grew up in S. FL and my mom had this obsession with having a "walk-in fruit salad" for a backyard. Aside from the usual orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime and coconut trees, we also had tangelo, tangerine, avocado, mamoncillo, pineapple, and yucca (and a bazillion gardenia bushes, but we didn't eat those).

I can find many of these up here (not mamoncillo or yucca, though), but NONE of the produce I can get tastes REMOTELY like the stuff we plucked out of our backyard. They are so disappointing to me. However, my dh had never had most of these things before he met me and he thinks "exotic fruits" are most scrumptious things he's ever eaten. My ds also loves them, so we do buy a lot of fruit.

On the other hand, I had never, ever heard of Saskatoons before I came here. I think they are the most marvelous exotic little berries ever. Dh thinks they're good, but "so common." :001_huh:

It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose!

Cherimoya! After searching high and low for these during my pregnancies I actually found them later in Hispanic stores in the US. Of course they were overpriced and so not like the ripe sweet ones you find in Spain, so disappointing! I hear they are grown in parts of CA though but I haven't been able to find good ones!