Menu

Math: A Beka or Singapore U.S.?

crl

We have been using A Beka 1 for math this year. But now we are looking to use Heart of Dakota and stream line as much as possible for next year since I will be teaching 2 kids. Heart of Dakota uses Singapore U.S. edition in their manuals. Can someone help me understand the difference and why I might shoose one over the other. I've heard people say that A Beka is good for grades K -2 but then they switch after that. Why would that be?

If you are going to switch from Abeka to Singapore, NOW would be the time to do it. My dd used Singapore in first and second (she is in 2nd now) and this year we also added Abeka to supplement. Abeka is behind Singapore. My dd flew through Abeka so fast it was crazy! So now we are doing Singapore and Horizons. So, if you do make the switch do it now so your dc will not be lost!

You could just add Singapore to your schedule. That's what we did. Ds1 started with Abeka, then we added Singapore later (when we learned about it). He was in Abeka 3 and Singapore 2. We'd do 3 days Abeka and 2 Singapore. I often combined lessons and we were able to get through both programs in a year.

Cinder

I switched my 4th grade daughter to a semester of Singapore only because I felt she needed more of the abstract "mental math" that Singapore is so good at.

We then went back to Abeka 4 and jumped in where I knew she would be learning some new things, skipped some of the review lessons and all the tests and she's just about done with the book now.

I think it was VERY good for her, but I knew that was a weakness of hers/Abeka's, and I wanted to get that. I dearly love Abeka math for elementary, and she was glad both for the break and then to get back to Abeka. It was all good. :)

I wouldn't switch just because... if you're happy with Abeka, stick with it.

If you are going to switch from Abeka to Singapore, NOW would be the time to do it. My dd used Singapore in first and second (she is in 2nd now) and this year we also added Abeka to supplement. Abeka is behind Singapore. My dd flew through Abeka so fast it was crazy! So now we are doing Singapore and Horizons. So, if you do make the switch do it now so your dc will not be lost!

My understanding is not that Abeka is 'behind" but that Singapore is very advanced. My daughter is very good at math and only placed one semester back, but Singapore isn't really to be used by grade, but by placement. Everything I read says, DON'T be shocked if your child tests a "grade" or more back from where they're currently working.

My understanding is not that Abeka is 'behind" but that Singapore is very advanced. My daughter is very good at math and only placed one semester back, but Singapore isn't really to be used by grade, but by placement. Everything I read says, DON'T be shocked if your child tests a "grade" or more back from where they're currently working.

Ya that could be. All I know from our experience is the certainly are not at the same place! Though I do know when I did a placement for my 6th grader she placed much lower than 6th grade. She wants to switch back to Singapore next year, so after we finish all our math plans this year we will see where she will place. I do agree that I did word that wrong! My oldest certainly is not behind in math, but not at grade level according to singapore!

While I do think Abeka is working ok, I'm just not sure it's a good fit for the long haul. At first, when it was mostly review, DD did fabulous and loved it. Now, I find she is not learning her facts and still uses her fingers a lot. The speed drills are killers since she can't ever do the problems in the 1 minute that you're supposed to do them in. She seems to need little tricks like in MUS, Mr. Demme tells the kids that 9 wants to be a ten so 9 acts like a vacuum and sucks 1 from the other number to make the problem be 10 plus something. Though I'm not sure MUS is the answer either because DD got so bored with doing the same thing over and over which is why Abeka was so appealing to her. Each day in Abeka has variety. But maybe the variety isn't helping her cement the facts. (I'm just trying to think this through before we get too far into any one curriculum that it makes it painful to switch.)

I've also heard that Abeka is great for K-2 but that people don't like 3 and above. Why is that?

Each day in Abeka has variety. But maybe the variety isn't helping her cement the facts.

Singapore does not stress memorizing the facts. They assume (and it states in the TM) that you will be working on that aside from the lessons in the text/workbook.

If the emphasis in Abeka is on speed drills and "math fact" memorization with a just-to-turn 7 year old, I'd dump it post-haste, and go with a program that methodically builds mathematical skills on a deeper level of understanding.

Bill

Singapore does not stress memorizing the facts. They assume (and it states in the TM) that you will be working on that aside from the lessons in the text/workbook.

That is true, I have also read that, though if you do the workbook, IP and extra practice it does a great job! It did for my dd anyways.

A quick thought to the OP Have you ever looked into cool math or math blaster as fun practice? That might help to cement those facts! Also, my dd has a blast playing with her math whiz which is basically like electronic flash cards. I guess anything that you put batteries in and anything that makes noise is fun :lol:. You might want to look into those also as fun extras!

Memorizing "math facts" absent a solid understanding of mathematical operations, place value, and re-grouping, is rather like achieving reading "fluency" by having children memorize "sight-words". It is the wrong approach, and risks giving the appearance of mathematical understanding and competence, when in fact there is no such thing.

We do our work in phonics when we teach reading. We don't drill the kids with flash-cards, and make them memorize sight-words (and then time-test them on their "memorization skills"), do we?

Math is no different. If one gets fixated on fluency through memorization one can really lay a poor foundation for all the math to come.

Bill

I'm sure I am going out on a very shaky limb here, but, what the heck.....:lol:.....

the original post stated that Singapore was suggested as a way of 'streamlining' according to the curriculum that had been selected (was it HOD?).

Anyway, as someone who has taught ABEKA Math in the classroom for more years than I care to remember, I am going to guess that Singapore is selected when one is streamlining as SM does not have the many daily exercises that ABEKA math has -- the flashcards, the games, the timed tests, etc. The ABEKA math 'texts' are just a small part of their whole math curriculum - if one looks at just the texts, one gets the impression that ABEKA is quite 'hand-out' driven.........ABEKA Math is very teacher-intensive if one follows it to a "T".

That being said, I am a HUGE fan of Singapore Math -- I have used it with the twins since first grade and with dd11 since 2nd grade. They are all excellent at math....when there have been small bumps in the road, we have always used Singapore Math books to provide extra practice, etc. I know that Crimson Wife has a thread on this board someplace about another Math curric and I don't know where that thread ended as far as info, etc.....but it is probably worth reading.

For me, though, I remain impressed with the results I see from our family using Singapore.

Memorizing "math facts" absent a solid understanding of mathematical operations, place value, and re-grouping, is rather like achieving reading "fluency" by having children memorize "sight-words". It is the wrong approach, and risks giving the appearance of mathematical understanding and competence, when in fact there is no such thing.

We do our work in phonics when we teach reading. We don't drill the kids with flash-cards, and make them memorize sight-words (and then time-test them on their "memorization skills"), do we?

Math is no different. If one gets fixated on fluency through memorization one can really lay a poor foundation for all the math to come.

Bill

:iagree: When I have taught in the classroom and invariably it was with ABEKA, ALWAYS when we came to place value, I had to toss the book aside, and TEACH the kids place value -- memorizing facts does not teach place value.

I'm sure I am going out on a very shaky limb here, but, what the heck.....:lol:.....

the original post stated that Singapore was suggested as a way of 'streamlining' according to the curriculum that had been selected (was it HOD?).

Anyway, as someone who has taught ABEKA Math in the classroom for more years than I care to remember, I am going to guess that Singapore is selected when one is streamlining as SM does not have the many daily exercises that ABEKA math has -- the flashcards, the games, the timed tests, etc. The ABEKA math 'texts' are just a small part of their whole math curriculum - if one looks at just the texts, one gets the impression that ABEKA is quite 'hand-out' driven.........ABEKA Math is very teacher-intensive if one follows it to a "T".

That being said, I am a HUGE fan of Singapore Math -- I have used it with the twins since first grade and with dd11 since 2nd grade. They are all excellent at math....when there have been small bumps in the road, we have always used Singapore Math books to provide extra practice, etc. I know that Crimson Wife has a thread on this board someplace about another Math curric and I don't know where that thread ended as far as info, etc.....but it is probably worth reading.

For me, though, I remain impressed with the results I see from our family using Singapore.

I say that Singapore is a way to streamline because HOD has it written into their guides with a hands on activity to teach which matches the workbook page(s) for the day. Where Abeka if followed as intended, is give a speed drill page, then do some oral work, give the 1st part of workbook page which reviews concepts, teach the lesson, do last half of workbook page, give a challenge problem. Admittedly, I usually skip the oral work since DD takes so long to do the "speed drill" which is anything but speedy. I'm just thinking that maybe DD is more of a hands on kid rather than a workbook kid.

Edited by crl

:bigear: I'm all ears. My oldest DD is 7, finishing up Abeka Math 1. We do all the extra activities in the guide, except we only choose about 2 of the ways to practice the math facts each day. She doesn't remember the math facts either, but she understands exactly how to figure it out, whether by counting up in addition or counting down in subtraction. I'm interested to know how Singapore teaches these. Maybe I'll pick up a workbook after a placement test since they aren't expensive, hopefully to give DD a deeper understanding.

I have not used Abeka math. My ds's began their homeschool journey two years ago with Singapore. I will say that they have developed a very good conceptual understanding of math, and I am very pleased with the results of it. We drill multiplication facts for memorization on our own, in addition to the math lessons provided by Singapore. Singapore teaches math in a very conceptual manner, which is not the way I was taught, so it has stretched me quite a bit, but I have accepted this and have learned and relearned right alongside them. I don't know if that is helpful or not, but it has been my experience.

:bigear: I'm all ears. My oldest DD is 7, finishing up Abeka Math 1. We do all the extra activities in the guide, except we only choose about 2 of the ways to practice the math facts each day. She doesn't remember the math facts either, but she understands exactly how to figure it out, whether by counting up in addition or counting down in subtraction. I'm interested to know how Singapore teaches these. Maybe I'll pick up a workbook after a placement test since they aren't expensive, hopefully to give DD a deeper understanding.

Julie, I'm glad to hear that it's not just my DD. My DD sounds exactly like your DD. She knows how to figure the problem out, it just takes her awhile since she has to use her fingers or something to count out the answer.

: I'm interested to know how Singapore teaches these. Maybe I'll pick up a workbook after a placement test since they aren't expensive, hopefully to give DD a deeper understanding.

A big part of Singapore involves looking at numbers as wholes and parts.

For single digit numbers a great deal of time is spent first breaking a value into two sets. So an 8 can be split into a 5 and a 3 (for sake of example).

Singapore has a means of showing these whole/part relationships they call number-bonds. The basic idea is:

8 = 5 + 3

8 - 5 = 3

8 - 3 = 5

5 + [ ] = 8

And so on. Addition and subtraction are all part of a wholes and parts mental construct. The build is gentle and pictorial.

With the addition of two numbers like 8 and 5 you would re-group the 5 to make the 8 a 10. 2 goes to the 8 to make that 10 and that leaves you with 10 and 3.

With subtraction of numbers like 13 - 5, rather than "borrowing", in Singapore you would see 13 as a 10 and 3, subtract 5 from the 10, and you'd have 5 + 3, or 8.

It sounds a bit cumbersome, but the work of regroup and recomposing numbers to facilitate mental math, and a general conception of what is happening when you add or subtract numbers really pays off.

Bill

Bill, that sounds a lot like MUS except they use blocks to show all this regrouping. So maybe MUS concepts and Singapore could be matched together for a nice program?

This is why many of us use Miquon and Singapore in conjunction. The C Rods, like MUS blocks, are great ways of making the whole/parts model "concrete".

I'm baffled, frankly, that Singapore doesn't fully integrate blocks or rods into their program, as their model translates directly into this sort of tangible representation.

If you have the MUS blocks, I'd continue to use them to help make the model in Singapore Math comprehensible on a concrete level.

Bill

I've said it here before -- no one knows our kids the way we do -- trust your instincts, and you will definitely find what works for your dc. :001_smile:

:iagree: We used Abeka from 1st - 3rd. Ds did fine with it. When I received the 4th grade book I knew it would be an issue. The amount of "kill and drill" problems was overwhelming to my son. He gets math and once he understands a problem he doesn't want to do 30 of the same kind. After a month of tears (both of us) we switched to Singapore. I started to see him doing math the way I used it as an adult. He was processing HOW to do math, not simply computing umpteen numbers.

Singapore word problems (we used the old CWP books) are stellar. You have to think about the problems. IMO Singapore develops math skills that you will actually use in real life.

With subtraction of numbers like 13 - 5, rather than "borrowing", in Singapore you would see 13 as a 10 and 3, subtract 5 from the 10, and you'd have 5 + 3, or 8.

It sounds a bit cumbersome, but the work of regroup and recomposing numbers to facilitate mental math, and a general conception of what is happening when you add or subtract numbers really pays off.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I actually am trying to show DD to do just these things. Maybe it will help me along!

Julie, I'm glad to hear that it's not just my DD. My DD sounds exactly like your DD. She knows how to figure the problem out, it just takes her awhile since she has to use her fingers or something to count out the answer.

Yes, that is exactly my DD to a T. She doesn't use her fingers for any subtraction facts 11 and above; I've taught her how to count down, but it is still cumbersome. I'm looking for something a little more creative, and it seems like Singapore might do the trick. I also heard that after 2nd grade people have problems with Abeka, but I'm not crystal clear on the reasons behind that either. I was thinking of Teaching Textbooks or something, but it's so expensive. Also, Abeka IMO is teacher intensive.

Now I understand why people are using 2 different math programs. Things are starting to make sense. Now I just have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and see if it makes a whole picture.

Julie, I'm not fully understanding why people make the switch from Abeka after grade 2 but I have seen complaints that Abeka 3 moves too fast, so that may be why others make the switch before heading into level 3.

That being said, why would I want to continue on to use level 2 if I'm going to end up switching at the end of that level anyway?

Julie, I'm not fully understanding why people make the switch from Abeka after grade 2 but I have seen complaints that Abeka 3 moves too fast, so that may be why others make the switch before heading into level 3.

That being said, why would I want to continue on to use level 2 if I'm going to end up switching at the end of that level anyway?

And if you are going to switch to Singapore, better to do it sooner than later, as there is a slow-build to the method.

Bill

Mariann,

If you don't mind me asking, if you taught A Beka and are so familiar with it, why did you choose Singapore instead?

This IS such a lame answer - but it's the truth -- when the twins were in pre-school and dd was in K, I after-schooled. I after-schooled because (I was very good friends with a Korean woman who was here in the states with her husband and their b/g twins - who were in K with dd) my friend was HORRIFIED at the state of education in our country.....public school, private school, she was horrified at both. Her husband was a bigwig with World Bank at the time and they had friends with children in very expensive, exclusive schools and she was not impressed with what they were learning. Her impression was that everything in the public and private schools was fairly dumbed down. She had two Ph.Ds and her husband did as well, if I recall.

Anyway, I was toying with the idea of homeschooling and so was she (she was not able to work in this country and they thought they would be here a few years longer than they actually were so she was going to homeschool - their children also went to Korean school on Saturdays and they had a Korean Kumon tutor) -- we would get together and compare curriculum notes, and she was going to use Singapore Math.....

That's how I came to use it. Very simple.

They ended up going back to Korea before the kids even finished Kindergarten -- her husband was named chief of some economic something or other in Korea. Her biggest concern here in the states was that their children should be able to go back to Korea and be where they should be academically. She said that homeschooling was the only way that could happen.

My children have done well with SM from the beginning -- I find Abeka to be handout driven in the classroom -- i do not know if Abeka is different in the homeschooled version, but in the classroom, it is worksheet-driven and Id o not think challenging enough for my three.

HTH

I am a former employee of A Beka and I've also taught with it (7th - 10th grade) in a private school setting. I'm very comfortable with the format and so we are going to stick with A Beka for math for now. I'm not thrilled with the high school math options (I taught Business Math and it bored me to tears) so at some point we will jump ship, probably once we hit pre-algebra. My daughter loves repetition and so the extra drills and stuff are OK with me because they suit her learning style. Besides, I'd rather have too many worksheets than not enough. No rule saying you have to use them all.

Thank you both for the input.

Mariann, my hubby would have enjoyed talking to your friends since he also believes that the American school systems are continuing to dumb things down for our children. Which is just one of many reasons we are homeschooling.

Thank you both for the input.

Mariann, my hubby would have enjoyed talking to your friends since he also believes that the American school systems are continuing to dumb things down for our children. Which is just one of many reasons we are homeschooling.

Interesting you should write that -- I hadn't thought about this particular friend in years - probably in 5 years - yet, she had me on fire for homeschooling and she was a wealth of information as to how the schools in this country were failing our children. As I was writing the response to you, I was remembering all that I had learned from her.

I have not read everyone's responses, but I am commenting anyway because I currently use BOTH A Beka & Singapore. I have used both for the entire elementary series, all the way through 6th grade.

I think both are excellent programs. They both have downsides. Here is my (hopefully helpful) comparison:

A BEKA - Pro's

1. very colorful, interesting & engaging to look at

2. lots of review of previously learned concepts

3. many, many problems, so there's lots of repetition for tough subjects

4. very traditional approach means I can teach it the way I learned it

5. emphasis on memorization of key topics: math facts, metric conversions, often used conversions like tsp. to TBSP, inches to feet, feet to miles

6. covers some stuff I wouldn't think to include like time zones & meter reading and Roman numerals

7. so many problems that I can cross off some when my kid is mastering the concept; this is a great motivator for us!

8. handy glossary in the back so you can look up conversion information or spellings even when you've thrown away the old pages

9. nicely perferated pages that tear out easily.

A BEKA - Con's

1. beats each subject to death. i could not use this program unless i felt very comfortable skipping pages.

2. does not approach any subject "intuitively." there is always an algorithm to follow.

3. word problems often "lame," often without a real-world application. For example: Mr. Smith baptized LX people in May and XXI in June. Write how many people were baptized in both months. Singapore has much more interesting word problems, IMHO.

4. sometimes asks kids to memorize stuff that I think is superfluous, like memorizing the relationship between gallons and liters or bushels and pecks. I just skip the stuff I decide is "extra," although, admittedly, if I worked a farm, I might care a awful lot about bushels and pecks.

SINGAPORE - PRO's

1. Absolutely outstanding word problems that require kids to think. There is never a page of word problems all essentially requiring the same thing. You simply must understand the relationships between numbers and what the problem is asking. I love their word problems so much that I don't require many at all in A Beka, but I make them do every single Singapore word problem.

2. Focus on mental mathematics. Kids are taught how to add numbers horizontally, not just vertically. Kids are asked not just 4.5-.3, but also .30 less than 4.5 is _____. Kids are also asked 4.2 is _____ less than 4.5.

SINGAPORE - CON'S

1. not a lot of review of prior concepts. There are a few "review" sessions in each workbook, but, generally speaking, once you've learned fractions, you're done. Then they move onto decimals. This approach may or may not work for your child.

2. no work on memorizing math facts. this must be done separately.

3. none of that extra stuff like time zones & roman numerals. personally, i like this, but only because i know they'll get it in a beka. :)

4. no color

5. pages don't tear out. This isn't usually a big deal, but when teaching angle measurement, it is a bit annoying.

I really like the way these two programs complement each other. I do not try to line up the topics in any way, though. That would make me crazy. Usually we work in one book til we're bored or frustrated or there's a natural stopping points, then we pull out the other program.

I would be hard pressed to pick one program over the other.

Good luck with your decision!

What's strange is that Abeka is always known for it's "drill and kill" method. Which was one of the things my DH loved about it. He thought a kid would certainly memorize all the information using the program. Yet so far, they drill her on things she's already good at, but left her very little time to memorize things like the subtraction problems before the added another set for her. It's almost as if they spend so much time reviewing, she doesn't get to spend enough time on the new concept.

I used SM for my oldest in K-3, switched out because *I* was having some difficulty figuring out what I was supposed to do, and that was frustrating both DS and I. We switched to Sadlier-Oxford through K12.

I've used Abeka for my younger 2 in school, and I'll use it for my rising K-4 child as well... mainly, because I *don''t* want to do formal math studies with my littles, but THEY want to "do school." They love the colorful workbooks, and they aren't extremely expensive -- but I do feel they are a better option than buying something at Costco.

I couldn't use Singapore in the same way. I need to "be there" with SM, and with one that's learning stuff my dh and I didn't do until 9th grade, one in Math 5, and one starting Math 4... that's a LOT already, adding SM for a little I don't want doing lots of formal school is just too much for me.

By 1st grade there is more formal math, we start working with some flash cards, talking through concepts, etc...We now also have TT 3-6, so if one of my children is moving particularly fast, they have something else to use as well. We will also be adding LoF in 4 weeks (I can't wait!).

SM and Abeka are both very different programs. They could be very complimentary -- and the workbook approach can be very nice especially in the younger grades.

Abeka & Singapore. My ds started with Abeka in 3rd grade after we pulled him out of private school. We had to start about 2/3 of they was through the 2nd grade book (which I had been forewarned about) because of the level of teaching in the schools. We started Singapore in 4th grade, and used them in conjunction 7th. We then switched to TT. I think all of the drill in Abeka helped my ds, because when we switched to TT, he declared it easy. I switched because dh deployed, I was pregnant with serious morning (all day) sickness, and I could not sit long enough to teach him.

As we all know, every child is different and has different learning styles. We have to figure out what works for each of our children. My ds is using both and doing quite well. She just turned four this past March and is working through Singapore EB and Abeka K (having already completed Abeka's K2 and K3 books). We skipped Abeka's K4.

I really like the way these two programs complement each other. I do not try to line up the topics in any way, though. That would make me crazy. Usually we work in one book til we're bored or frustrated or there's a natural stopping points, then we pull out the other program.

I would be hard pressed to pick one program over the other.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for all this information! So do you get just the workbook or workbook and textbook? Can you do just the workbook? We really do like Abeka, but I'm concerned about a couple of different things, many of what has already been stated by others.

What's strange is that Abeka is always known for it's "drill and kill" method. Which was one of the things my DH loved about it. He thought a kid would certainly memorize all the information using the program. Yet so far, they drill her on things she's already good at, but left her very little time to memorize things like the subtraction problems before the added another set for her. It's almost as if they spend so much time reviewing, she doesn't get to spend enough time on the new concept.

This is exactly what happened here. She didn't even remember the first set of facts, let alone adding more. This summer I'm going to focus on 1 set at a time until she gets it. With the Singapore approach, it may help her even more to think through the facts in a different way. Also, I noticed my DD is just not very good with memorization *except* poetry. She loves the cadence of poems and will recite them all over the place. She is also very artistic, so I'm making some booklets for each set of facts for her to decorate. It sounds silly, but she seriously learns verses and stuff this way.

So do you get just the workbook or workbook and textbook? Can you do just the workbook?

Well, here's the deal. I always buy the workbook and the textbook because so many people I respect on this board *insist* that the textbook is key to the whole thing. That said, I have honestly only even opened two of the textbooks in over 6 years of teaching math.

Each year I tell myself just to buy the workbooks, and each year I yield to the wisdom of people on this board and buy both...just in case. :tongue_smilie:

By the way, this refers to the Singapore curriculum.

Edited by claire up north
clarify which curriculum is being discussed

Thanks for all this information! So do you get just the workbook or workbook and textbook? Can you do just the workbook?

The way I do it (which is the way one is supposed to use the program, from what I understand) is "we" as a team go through the textbook, with me either leading with Socratic questions, offering up explanations for what we are dealing with and/or asking him to explain it to me. Teaching time. This is when I probe to make sure there is "clarity", try to throw a few curve-balls to see if he really gets it. And if there is lack of clarity, this is when I seek to re-dress any misunderstandings, and will usually turn to C Rods when there is a log-jam.

The workbooks he does. And that time is becoming increasingly independent, as he can read the instructions himself. If he has questions, I'll answer, but this is when he demonstrates what he knows. I will note that when we started 1A I was heavily involved in both the workbook and textbook time. And as often as I can, I like to observe the workbook time too. But I expect, over time, this part will be independent.

The trap I think any parent might fall into if using the workbooks alone (self included), is math would be treated as a workbook activity, and interactive teaching time would be lost. And that, IMO, would be, uh, bad. Very bad.

So, yes, I use both. And treat each very differently. The textbooks are usually done snuggled up together on a couch or in bed (unless we need a table for demonstrations) and the workbooks are usually done at a desk (although, truth-told we'll sometimes do *snuggle-math* with the workbooks too.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

So do you get just the workbook or workbook and textbook?

We recently started SM 1A. I'm glad I got both the textbook and the workbook even though I've "heard" that many folks only use the workbook.

Our Singapore Math time sounds an awful lot like Bill and his son's except we hang out on the bed while working through the textbook together! Also my big girl is young so I do assist her with her workbook time. I did make up some "part+part = whole" sheets on my own and she worked those pretty much on her own.

I would get both.

We use the textbook to present the lesson. I am heavily involved with this, sitting next to him on the couch and explaining the concepts (as he insists that he understands them:tongue_smilie:). I generally sit next to him while he works through the workbook exercises, as well, to make certain that he is understanding these and completing them correctly. We just finished up 3A and will dive into 3B next week, working through the summer so we can start 4A in the fall. (This is for my oldest son.) I am still acquainting myself with the Singapore method so I am probably overinvolved to some extent.

Julie, I'd love to hear more about the booklets you're thinking of making. My DD is so creative and artsy and I am not, so teaching her has been a learning experience for each of us.

It is nothing huge. I've made them but haven't yet implemented them. Since flashcards without the answer to adding and subtraction are doing no good at all, I put all the facts with the sums in a booklet with an area to decorate or demonstrate the fact. For some reason, when she has the whole thing (be it addition facts or Bible memorization) in front of her and is allowed to decorate and doodle it all up, she remembers it better. :001_huh: If you want, I can send you via e-mail a PDF of what we have made. PM me if you're interested.

Well, this thread has really gotten me thinking. I printed off the 1B test for DS1, who is just finishing up A Beka 1st grade math and he got about 80% wrong, instead of 80% right. Now, granted, A Beka does not introduce multiplcation/division concepts, so of course he got that wrong, but he bombed all the place value exerices and quite a few other things. And he actually does very well with A Beka math. So, I think I'm going to combine both programs next year.

I was wondering, those who do it, do you also buy the TM or is it all pretty self-explanatory. I know that the TM is essential with A Beka math, but I wasn't so sure with other programs.

I was wondering, those who do it, do you also buy the TM or is it all pretty self-explanatory. I know that the TM is essential with A Beka math, but I wasn't so sure with other programs.

There are several components to the Singapore math program, including the textbook, workbook and home instructor's guide. There are also intensive practice books and challenging word problems (I may have the names of these incorrect.)

Everyone does it differently depending on their needs/time available, etc. I use the textbook and workbook with both of my ds's. That is the minimum needed to implement the program, in my opinion.