Menu

How to welcome new Youth Minister at church?

We have hired a new youth minister and he and his family will move down at the end of the month. What is a good way to welcome him and his familiy? I am thinking about doing meals for two weeks, so that way different families can bring them a meal each night. Or has anyone done a pounding for a new minister? We are also going to do some sort of potluck dinner thieir first Sunday. Any ideas would be great!

I think it depends a bit on the type of church...I don't even know what a "pounding" is :)

Whenever we have taken new positions...we've appreciated whatever is done! So I'm sure you will be fine. For us it's mostly been receptions after church...or being invited over for dinner.

I think I would have loved it if meals had been done for us!!!!

Any welcome will be appreciated! I personally wouldn't like receiving meals but I'm probably in the minority on this. I'd prefer a "welcome home" gift with gift cards and menus for good take-out, gift cards and a map to the best grocery stores, milk and juice in the fridge, bagels with cream cheese and cute disposable plates/bowls/utensils.

Or on the church grounds, if that works. Just a casual picnic after Sunday services that expecially focuses on having church families with children attend. The Youth Minister can get a sense of the family groups and his family can meet others with kids.

Any welcome will be appreciated! I personally wouldn't like receiving meals but I'm probably in the minority on this. I'd prefer a "welcome home" gift with gift cards and menus for good take-out, gift cards and a map to the best grocery stores, milk and juice in the fridge, bagels with cream cheese and cute disposable plates/bowls/utensils.

I agree. When my husband took this church and we moved here, the last thing I wanted was people coming over before we got fully settled.

We were "pounded" and they did a welcoming reception at coffee hour (the time after the service).

A pounding is when members of the congregation each bring a pound of something--to help fill the pantry, mostly, so you get people that bring a pound of sugar, or flour, or salt, or baking soda. People don't usually take these staples with them to a new place, so it's a really nice idea. We also got a "pound" of flours, jams and pb, pecans, pasta, sauces, etc. I think we got wine, too--someone else's idea of "getting pounded" or "pounding a few," apparently. ;)

A lot depends on the personalities involved. Some people would like some space while they got themselves settled in. I would forego the surprise element for asking them what would be most helpful for them out of some choices.

For me, personally, I'd like help moving in, unpacking, etc.

I would not want meals brought to me because 1) What people cook when bringing meals is vastly different than our normal eating habits (We tend to eat lots of fresh fruits, veges and salads with lean meats. People tend to bring lots of casseroles, lasagna, and baked goods.) and 2) because I have one kid who only eats plain food and I'd have to cook for him anyway. I would love gift cards to recommended restaurants or even to a local grocery store.

I would love it if someone contacted me before I moved and asked me to send a list of our favorite foods/brands and then went and bought a selection of those to be in the house so that I didn't have to add grocery shopping to the list of things I did when we first got there. (no point in buying Kashi cereal if the kids all eat Cheerios or vice versa , etc.) I think familiar foods are comforting for people.

I would like invitations to homes or activities from people with whom I'd be working in the youth ministry and from people with kids the same ages as my kids.

I would also like understanding that my family couldn't accept all invitations the first couple months.

I'm going to brag on our church!:D

When we pulled up, 2 church members were waiting for us in our new home to greet us. They had CLEANED the house for us so it was all ready for us to put our stuff in the cupboards. They brought us cots and blankets and towels to borrow so we didn't have to unpack a thing the first night. They filled our fridge with enough basics so we didn't have to go to the grocery store on the first day of unpacking. They left us with a card signed with lots signatures from church members and a gift card to the grocery store.

Several men came to help unload our POD and stayed to put together furniture the next day.

THEN...we had a potluck dinner in our honor and had a "gift card pounding." We had gift cards for restaurants, Sears, Walmart & Target, and someone even thought of the kids with a Toys-R-Us gift card!

We were blessed!!!:001_smile:

A lot depends on the personalities involved. Some people would like some space while they got themselves settled in. I would forego the surprise element for asking them what would be most helpful for them out of some choices.

For me, personally, I'd like help moving in, unpacking, etc.

I would not want meals brought to me because 1) What people cook when bringing meals is vastly different than our normal eating habits (We tend to eat lots of fresh fruits, veges and salads with lean meats. People tend to bring lots of casseroles, lasagna, and baked goods.) and 2) because I have one kid who only eats plain food and I'd have to cook for him anyway. I would love gift cards to recommended restaurants or even to a local grocery store.

I would love it if someone contacted me before I moved and asked me to send a list of our favorite foods/brands and then went and bought a selection of those to be in the house so that I didn't have to add grocery shopping to the list of things I did when we first got there. (no point in buying Kashi cereal if the kids all eat Cheerios or vice versa , etc.) I think familiar foods are comforting for people.

I would like invitations to homes or activities from people with whom I'd be working in the youth ministry and from people with kids the same ages as my kids.

I would also like understanding that my family couldn't accept all invitations the first couple months.

:iagree:

My brother and his wife became youth pastors for the first time last summer. The church did an incredible welcome job for them. The house they rented really needed some work done to it, they got permission to paint and do some other work but didn't have the time. Their church did all the cleaning and painting for them, mowed the lawn and trimmed the landscaping and filled their fridge. All my brother and sil had to do was move in and enjoy their nice clean house.