Menu

Can you recommend a good Science program for 3rd grade?

I would like an interesting Science program that is not too labor intensive but is focused on a particular subject (not jumping around). It doesn't matter if it's WTM approach or not. We're using SL now and it's ok but not the greatest :)

Thank you.

I would like an interesting Science program that is not too labor intensive but is focused on a particular subject (not jumping around). It doesn't matter if it's WTM approach or not. We're using SL now and it's ok but not the greatest :)

Thank you.

Apologia has several you might be interested in. All the books in the list are elementary aged, and does not matter which age/grade they are done. The only one the do recommend doing before any is to do zoology 1 before 2 or 3, but it does not matter if you do 2 or 3 after 1, KWIM. If you click on a book, you can see the table of contents and a sample chapter.

Is Real Science 4Kids any good? Thanks!

We couldn't stand Real Science 4Kids. It was a real bummer when it arrived after we had looked so forward to it. Best way I can describe why we hated it is it tried to look like it had alot of information in it, but really that's about all it was, looked like it had alot of information wasn't very deep in my opinion. We were so disappointed we sold it the next day.:confused:

Is Real Science 4Kids any good? Thanks!

I really like their pre-level I Chemistry (though it's far from a full-year program). I am underwhelmed by their Level 1, especially the Biology. The KOGs are a waste of paper, especially considering how much they charge for them.

My dd9 really enjoyed the Mr. Q Classic Life Science this year, and will be doing the Earth Science next year, along with Ellen McHenry's The Elements.

I also really like the looks of Bite-Size Physics; I think that may be what we do next.

We did SL science this year but DD7 (almost 8) was not very interested and didn't remember much of what we covered. I am thinking of going over Life Science with her again as a review and trigger her interest in Science again. Is Mr. Q's site enough for that OR should I get R.E.A.L. Science? Which is more interesting and fun to do?

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We are using Christian Kids Explore Earth/Space right now and Biology next year. I think they would be good for 3rd grade, especially Earth/Space.