Menu

Am I reading correctly? (Community) College books cost as much the course tuition?

I'm trying to decipher the used prices at the college's online bookstore. If I'm going to need ALL of the books shown for the class I'm looking into, that will be more than the cost of the course.

I've been out of school a long time, but I don't recall them being this expensive, even at University.

Yes college text books are a complete rip off if you get them through the college bookstore. Even tech schools are bad on book costs. Get the ISBN numbers and buy them off amazon if you have time, if not see if the school library has a copy of the necessary books that you can use until your amazon order comes in. I am currently in tech school for pharmacy assistant and plan on starting pre-pharmacy courses next year. Amazon is going to love me.

You might also want to check out bulletin board notices, local classified ads, and the local thrift shops. Often times a student may have a book that doesn't quite meet the criteria for the used book store but might still be a very serviceable copy.

Also, be sure to check the edition of the text to be sure you are not getting a book that has gone through multiple editions since the one you are considering purchasing.

Also, check www.alibris.com . They sometimes have what you need.

It's a total racket, imo.

Another thing to do, if a book is really expensive (even used), is to ask the professor if a previous edition would be acceptable. We have had many instances where the professor has been just fine with students using an earlier edition than what's listed for the course. The earlier editions are often just a dollar or two on Amazon.

ETA: One more thing--for the really super-expensive books that you can't do without or work around, my ds looks to see if the class is offered the semester before, confirms that they're using the same book for both semesters, then goes to the last class session for that semester. He stands outside the door, and waves $20 cash in the air as students file out, asking if anyone would like to sell their book. Usually there is someone glad to dump their book for cash. He's gotten books we couldn't find (even used) for under $150, for just that $20 cash.

Edited by Julie in CA

At our CC, the professors aren't even allowed to give the students the ISBN for the book--so that you are forced to purchase through the student bookstore. grrr

But can't you look at the ISBN in the campus bookstore? Or is it one of those bookstores where you tell someone behind the counter what books you need, and they fetch the books for you?

Our son has done well on Amazon. With free shipping, it has usually been better than the other textbooks sites. Still expensive but better than the campus bookstore. He usually buys new for what the campus bookstore sells used. He likes to know that there will be no highlighting from a former user in his books. And the campus bookstore buys his books back even though he didn't get them there.

But can't you look at the ISBN in the campus bookstore? Or is it one of those bookstores where you tell someone behind the counter what books you need, and they fetch the books for you?

Doesn't matter. Have them fetch the book, look at the ISBN, write it down, and tell them you don't want the book after all.

No one should be held hostage by a bookstore.

At our CC, the professors aren't even allowed to give the students the ISBN for the book--so that you are forced to purchase through the student bookstore. grrr

The professors aren't the ones who'd be giving the ISBN. Does your cc bookstore have a website? Usually I just go to the website, enter in the course #'s for the classes, and it pops up with a list of required resources for each class. I click on the resource, write down the ISBN, and then shop elsewhere. I'd do it in person too, if there weren't a website. Find the books needed, or ask to see them, then write down the ISBN #'s.