Menu

Did YOU learn latin first?

How many of you learned Latin before teaching it to your kids? I'm still in the planning stages because my kids are young and I'm trying to build myself up as much as possible before I teach them. I've been considering teaching myself Latin as well so that when I go to teach it to them I'll be able to answer more questions. So did you learn it before hand? Was it helpful? If you didn't learn it, do you sometimes wish you knew more?

I was taught Latin at school between the ages of 10 and 18, and then during my university formation I took a couple of Latin literature courses at the department for classical philology (despite not belonging to that department) during the first two years, so in total, I had about 10 years of formal Latin study.

I never forgot it (thought it deteriorated), even though I had one lengthier period of not using it at all, but yes, when I started teaching it to my children, I knew exactly what I was teaching, how and why, but I relearned many things with them as they progressed and was able to view many things with different eyes, particularly with regards to culture and literature.

If you didn't have a chance to study Latin during your own schooling, I do think it's a good idea to study on your own or to be at least a little advanced, because that way it's easier for you to know what they're studying, to help, and to oversee the process. And, of course, it's excellent as you. :)

I'm learning Latin now (along with other big skill subjects). I have to learn it sometime (philosophically I have a problem with requiring my kids to learn something that I can't be bothered to learn myself), so I might as well get on with it now.

One big reason I'm learning it ahead of time is that I don't want to be a slave to a curriculum, but if I'm learning along with kids, I will be pretty darn dependent on whatever we are using. I won't know what is and is not important, what we can safely skip and what seemingly minor point actually is essential further down the road. The more knowledge I have, the more flexibility I will have when it comes to teaching my kids.

I've seen this already with math and phonics. I'm not very knowledgeable about teaching young kids, but I really get math, and I've found it relatively easy to adapt the ideas and materials I have to suit my dd3.5. But I never was taught phonics rules and spelling rules, and while I've found lots of great materials, I have had next-to-no luck in making them work with my dd. I'm still in the beginning stages of learning how to teach her; combine that with trying to teach a subject I'm still in the beginning stages of trying to understand, and I've no recourse but to curriculum hop 'till I find one that works as-is with my dd. I just don't have the subject expertise to adapt what I have to fit her. This experience is providing an extra impetus to get on with my self-ed.

I will be when we finish slogging our way through Analytical Grammar. Dh wants to learn Latin too, but I really need to get English grammar into my head first. I told him I'd study Latin with him if he would be my study buddy for AG. He considers the time spent as an investment in our relationship. He cares not a jot about grammar, but likes my expressions of gratitude.

:)

Rosie

One big reason I'm learning it ahead of time is that I don't want to be a slave to a curriculum, but if I'm learning along with kids, I will be pretty darn dependent on whatever we are using. I won't know what is and is not important, what we can safely skip and what seemingly minor point actually is essential further down the road. The more knowledge I have, the more flexibility I will have when it comes to teaching my kids.

:iagree:

Even my mediocre grasp of the basics has helped a LOT!

I started out learning it along with my kids, but I was slowing them down. They could memorize SO much faster than I could. I finally told dd she could go on without me, and she was SO relieved! She's now WAY ahead of me. I understand the basic concepts, but don't have near the vocabulary and skill she has.

Guest hobbymommy79

I took Latin for one semester in college as a young mother of one child and loved it, though it helped having a great college professor who was entertaining and engaging and made you want to push yourself to learn more, that was definitely a bonus! After taking it I realized that I would have loved to have Latin while growing up (my mom was able to take it in highschool in the 70's), especially when I saw how it improved my grammar, writing, reading, science and math skills while in college. I too am considering taking up the course work while my daughters are still doing preschool and kindergarten work at home with me. Also, Latin is something that is good to study with someone else, as well as working alone, just something to think about. Maybe we could chat more about the matter as things progress! Good luck and keep us posted!

~Jessica

How many of you learned Latin before teaching it to your kids? I'm still in the planning stages because my kids are young and I'm trying to build myself up as much as possible before I teach them. I've been considering teaching myself Latin as well so that when I go to teach it to them I'll be able to answer more questions. So did you learn it before hand? Was it helpful? If you didn't learn it, do you sometimes wish you knew more?

I took Latin throughout high school and a couple of semester in college. That was a long time ago, though. Although I remember most of the basics of grammar, I find I'm re-learning a lot by doing Latin with my ds. It's fun. :)