Menu

Elementary Geography?

melmichigan

If you are thinking about mapwork, I'd recommend Geopuzzles. Once or twice a week I have my girls get out a continent and put it together and they are really getting quite good at them! I love hearing them say things like "No, no.. Uzbekistan is next to Kazakhstan, not Mongolia!"

Not a curriculum, but I highly recommend Material World and Children Just Like Me. My children are always sharing things about the different countries they are reading about in these books.

Melinda

http://www.amazon.com/Material-World-Global-Family-Portrait/dp/0871564378/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272656982&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Just-Like-Anabel-Kindersley/dp/0789402017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272657013&sr=1-1

We currently use SOTW with SL Core 1. My youngers do the map work from the SOTW AG. They are not retaining even the basics. Could I have some other recommendations please?

MapTrek is the new and improved version of the Knowledge Quest maps, that I believe are in the SOTW AG. Improved because they are slightly coloured to differentiate land from water, and new because they now have activities to go through grade 12. Logic stage activities repeat activities done in grammar stage, plus add new ones; and rhetoric stage activities repeat the previous sets of activities, plus add new ones. The repetition and retention is built in.

I just got mine, and can't wait to use it. My ds has gone a year with no geography study, because he'd done all the KQ maps already, and I couldn't figure out what else to do that would mimic the historical map study I liked so much about KQ. This will be perfect, and will reinforce, over the years, what my kids will learn/have learned.

$40 plus ink and paper for 12 years' worth of geography study for multiple children = pretty good deal to me!

If you are thinking about mapwork, I'd recommend Geopuzzles. Once or twice a week I have my girls get out a continent and put it together and they are really getting quite good at them! I love hearing them say things like "No, no.. Uzbekistan is next to Kazakhstan, not Mongolia!"

These look really cool. I put them on my amazon wishlist.

MapTrek is the new and improved version of the Knowledge Quest maps, that I believe are in the SOTW AG. Improved because they are slightly coloured to differentiate land from water, and new because they now have activities to go through grade 12. Logic stage activities repeat activities done in grammar stage, plus add new ones; and rhetoric stage activities repeat the previous sets of activities, plus add new ones. The repetition and retention is built in.

I just got mine, and can't wait to use it. My ds has gone a year with no geography study, because he'd done all the KQ maps already, and I couldn't figure out what else to do that would mimic the historical map study I liked so much about KQ. This will be perfect, and will reinforce, over the years, what my kids will learn/have learned.

$40 plus ink and paper for 12 years' worth of geography study for multiple children = pretty good deal to me!

I didn't realize this is the same company that does TOG's mapaids. I have been considering them since I looked at TOG. This does look like a more cost efficient version. ;)

I might have missed what grade you are considering the Geography for...but we are only doing History with our K4er and First Grader..however next year when my oldest is in second grade I plan to start Galloping the Globe. It's so neat, in depth and LOTS of resources to be used during the studies of the countries.

Guest DanielleS

We had also used SOTW and thought that Geography would "stick" since it is used a lot - but that didn't really seem to work for us either. We started using the Every Child is Spatial Curriculum and all of a sudden they get it. We have used the World Geography, World Hisory (it actually uses the SOTW texts) and their math, and it has really been great. They use a lot of Google Earth stuff that the kids really like. I think I may actually do it one day so I can finally figure out where Uzbekistan is in relation to Kazakhstan!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming to this thread late, but I appreciate all the links! Am going to check them all out, since we'll be starting geography this next year :)

BTW, if you're planning to buy all the Geopuzzles, they sell the set of all 5 for $50 at Timberdoodle, which is cheaper than at Rainbow Resource or Amazon:

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Geopuzzles_p/120.htm

We currently use SOTW with SL Core 1. My youngers do the map work from the SOTW AG. They are not retaining even the basics. Could I have some other recommendations please?

Here are the links to the trail guides

Trail Guides to US Geography

Trail Guides to World Geography

Trail Guide to Bible Geography if you are interested in that

They are awesome! They have lesson plans for elementary, middle school and high school in all 3 trail guides! We are switching to that next year! I cant wait!

I'm struggling with choosing between A Child's Geography, Trail Guide to US Geography, and Trail Guide to World Geography. I'm thinking about doing all three over a three year period...maybe rotating between the three.

My favorite geography resource is a shower curtain map hanging on our kitchen wall.

When dh travels the kids like to plot his route. He's been to several countries in Europe, China, Vietnam, Brazil, Guatemala.

Whenever we read a book or hear about an event, m kids like to find it on the map.

We've even used it instead of a donkey picture for a game similar to pin the tail on the donkey, but instead it was put Nemo in Sydney.

We like to play I Spy and pick a country and the others have to find it. We will use another country as reference for the country we are spying. I'm thinking of a country that is north of Turkey.. Then later I might say, it south of Latvia. A familiar type of chicken dish is named after it's capital. :D

I'm struggling with choosing between A Child's Geography, Trail Guide to US Geography, and Trail Guide to World Geography. I'm thinking about doing all three over a three year period...maybe rotating between the three.

I love A Child's Geography, but be aware that it reads more like a science book. I bought it to use this year, but it isn't really meeting our needs for geography. Instead, I'm going to use it next summer as a summer science course.

I love A Child's Geography, but be aware that it reads more like a science book...

I agree! I just purchased this for the coming year but find it will role better into our earth & space science curriculum for the year rather than what I typically associate with geography (studying and mapping countries, learning various landforms & water bodies, other map skills, etc.)

I love A Child's Geography, but be aware that it reads more like a science book. I bought it to use this year, but it isn't really meeting our needs for geography. Instead, I'm going to use it next summer as a summer science course.

I agree! I just purchased this for the coming year but find it will role better into our earth & space science curriculum for the year rather than what I typically associate with geography (studying and mapping countries, learning various landforms & water bodies, other map skills, etc.)

Ok. What I REALLY want is:

Meteorology

Geology

World Geography

US Geography

A Child's Geography looks like it teaches the firs two. Does it? And the Trail Guides look like they teach the latter two. They all just happen to be gaps in our learning so far that I want to cover before high school for my daughter, and roll my son in so I don't have the same gap problems for him in middle school

These are all such great suggestions! I will have to go check them out!

In the meantime, we have been using Daily Geography Practice by Evan Moore. http://www.evan-moor.com/Social_Studies/Geography/Catalog.aspx?CurriculumID=7&ClassID=158

I only use the 1st grade book now, and it is pretty basic with an introduction to maps, navigation, US and World geography. The lessons are very very short, so after the first few days of doing one problem a day, we did a whole lesson in one day, only once a week. My daughter loves it and I think as the series progresses, the content gets increasingly more detailed and demanding.

DD, arts and crafts junky, gymnast, and math nerd

DS, playing and joining when he wants, always quizzing DD on addition facts

DS, just learned to crawl!

Check us out at http://www.54321blastoff.wordpress.com

About GeoPuzzles: I bought some of the puzzles and we didn't get around to opening them for a year. One of them had pieces that were mis-cut, with the edges set off from the borders instead of following them, and badly warped. I e-mailed the company and heard back from Bob himself (the founder), who was happy to send me a new one, shipping paid, not minding that I had no receipt and it had been a year, and asked how the weather was--turns out he's a displaced Austinite. A new puzzle came promptly, pieces perfect. Now that's customer service!

Ok. What I REALLY want is:

Meteorology

Geology

World Geography

US Geography

A Child's Geography looks like it teaches the firs two. Does it? And the Trail Guides look like they teach the latter two. They all just happen to be gaps in our learning so far that I want to cover before high school for my daughter, and roll my son in so I don't have the same gap problems for him in middle school

It does and would work really well for that. She explains at the beginning of the book that those are all geography topics, it just isn't what most people are looking for when they ask for geography curricula. It is actually one of my favorite books that I bought this year because of her writing style. It's amazing how she packs so much information into one book.

I think that I'm going to buy Volume 2: Explore the Holy Land to use when we do Ancients next year.

I think that I'm going to buy Volume 2: Explore the Holy Land to use when we do Ancients next year.

My son is really enjoying Explore the Holy Land this year as he studies Ancient History.

Dixie

Edited by Dixie
reworded sentence