Menu

Book recommendations for 10 yo boy please

pooh bear

My ds is almost 10 and I am running out of ideas of what books to recommend he gets from the library. He has read the vast majority of the books in the childrens section and has been reading quite a few from the YA section. He does have a high reading level. These are some of the books that he has recently read

Artemis Fowl series

Peter and the Starcatchers series

Keys to the Kingdom series

The Lost Years of Merlin series

Eragon and its sequels

The Narnia series

The Pendragon series

All Creatures Great and Small

Watership Down

Journey to the Center of the Earth and quite a few other Verne books

The Secret Garden and other France Hodgeson Burnett books

The Cry of the Ice Mark series

Abhorsen Chronicles

Christmas Carol

Percy Jackson series

A few of the Disc World books

Wee Free Men and the sequels

A few of the Jeeves and Wooster books

So, what can you recommend for my ds? The longer the book the better, he thinks nothing of spending a Sunday reading a 400 page book.

Edited by Pooh Bear

My ds 10 has read a considerable number of books on your list.:) He recommends:

Fablehaven (series by Brandon Mull)

Lord of the Rings (he and I read this together, it's a little tougher)

The Mysterious Benedict Society

He also still reads an occasional Hardy Boys (with ds7) and ran through 8 of the "39 Clues" books in about 3 days. They are a little formulaic, but I think sometimes he likes not having to think so hard.

HTH

Freddy the Pig

Redwall

Alex Rider books

The Knights of Arrethtrae (series by Chuck Black)

The Kingdom Series (Chuck Black)

Crown of Covenant (series by Douglas Bond)

The Time Travelers (Linda Buckley-Archer)

Dragons in our Midst (series by Bryan Davis)

My boys have enjoyed these recently. Maybe some of them would interest your son, too.

Cindy

The Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander (fantasy like LOTR but easier to read)

The Moomintroll series by Tove Janssen (fantasy - endearing!)

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald (funny Americana)

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (children who sail and go on adventures)

Little Britches series by Ralph Moody (American historical - growing up in the early 1900s)

Books by E. Nesbit (The Children and It, The Railway Children) (charming Edwardian fantasy)

Half Magic and other books by E. Eager (fun, light fantasy)

The Eagle of the Ninth and other books by Rosemary Sutcliff (Roman Britain -some are more adult than others)

The Little White Horse and Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge (more English fantasy)

The Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne (charming retelling of Greek myths)

At the Back of the North Wind and other books by George MacDonald (more Christian fantasy; he inspired C.S. Lewis)

How about some classics?

The Swiss Family Robinson (I have one son that's read this 3 times)

Heidi by Spyri (the book is so much greater than any movie)

Tom Sawyer

Black Beauty

Pinocchio (bizarre morality tale!)

The Jungle Book

And you didn't mention Harry Potter????

The Little Britches Series by Ralph Moody. The first book is called Father and I were Ranchers.

We love this series. I would read it as an adult on my own if we weren't reading it as a family. My son loves it! It is an autobiography, is not brain-candy, and inspires boys to be men, IMO.

Sounds like my oldest! He loved The Hobbit, LOTR.

Also, the Redwall series by Bryan Jacques should keep him busy for a while.

Best wishes!

He has read The Hobbit and the Redwall series. I will mention LOTR to him, he may just give it a try.

My ds 10 has read a considerable number of books on your list.:) He recommends:

Fablehaven (series by Brandon Mull)

Lord of the Rings (he and I read this together, it's a little tougher)

He also still reads an occasional Hardy Boys (with ds7) and ran through 8 of the "39 Clues" books in about 3 days. They are a little formulaic, but I think sometimes he likes not having to think so hard.

HTH

Read all of those

Freddy the Pig

Redwall

Alex Rider books

The Knights of Arrethtrae (series by Chuck Black)

The Kingdom Series (Chuck Black)

Crown of Covenant (series by Douglas Bond)

The Time Travelers (Linda Buckley-Archer)

Dragons in our Midst (series by Bryan Davis)

My boys have enjoyed these recently. Maybe some of them would interest your son, too.

Cindy

I'll have to check those ones out.

How about the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell? They are not to terribly long, but cute books. Also a cute book we are reading is Kenny and the Dragon. Also not a terribly long book, but very cute.

Read all the Edge Chronicles.

Also there is Angie Sage books like the Septimus Heap series. Then there is also the Spiderwick series, my son loved them at that age.

Read Septimus Heap, but he did not like Spiderwick.

The Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander (fantasy like LOTR but easier to read)

The Moomintroll series by Tove Janssen (fantasy - endearing!)

The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald (funny Americana)

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (children who sail and go on adventures)

Little Britches series by Ralph Moody (American historical - growing up in the early 1900s)

Books by E. Nesbit (The Children and It, The Railway Children) (charming Edwardian fantasy)

Half Magic and other books by E. Eager (fun, light fantasy)

The Eagle of the Ninth and other books by Rosemary Sutcliff (Roman Britain -some are more adult than others)

The Little White Horse and Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge (more English fantasy)

The Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne (charming retelling of Greek myths)

At the Back of the North Wind and other books by George MacDonald (more Christian fantasy; he inspired C.S. Lewis)

How about some classics?

The Swiss Family Robinson (I have one son that's read this 3 times)

Heidi by Spyri (the book is so much greater than any movie)

Tom Sawyer

Black Beauty

Pinocchio (bizarre morality tale!)

The Jungle Book

And you didn't mention Harry Potter????

He has read most of the ones on your list. If I listed all the books he has read in the past 6 months, it would be almost a mile long.

I thank you all for the suggestions. He is on that border line of too old for most kids books, but too young for most YA books.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Try other books by Stroud, too.

The Sorceress series by Michael Scott. A current series that's popular.

N.D. Wilson's 100 Cupboards series. This is a recent series. I think Wilson is a particularly good writer and the final book in the trilogy was just published.

I would try him to get grounded in as many classics as possible. Challenge him to read a lot of Mark Twain, probably not Huckleberry Finn, but go beyond Tom Sawyer, to Prince and the Pauper, the Jumping Frogs books, his travel guides, etc. Twain is a particularly good writer for boys. Then suggest he read Little Women for a girl's perspective from the same time period.

Read Kenneth Grahame: Wind in the Willows and Golden Days. If he's read the updated version of Peter Pan, has he read the original? Black Beauty by Sewell. E. Nesbit books, such as The Woudbegoods -- fun story about a family of kids at the turn of the century that have adventures. Because it's British and 100 years old, the book is more challenging than similar contemporary books.

Try Charles and Mary Lamb's retelling of Shakespeare plays. Then go see the plays or watch film adaptations. Edith Hamilton's Mythologies, the classic on Greek and Roman myths. Mary Shelly's Frankenstein -- which is different than the films.

How much Roald Dahl has he read? I'm thinking he's probably read a lot already.

What about biographies? The Autobiography of Ben Franklin is funny and short. There are lots of biographies written for kids and teens.

If he's reading that much, I would probably emphasize the importance of being grounded in the classics, rather than just reading for pure pleasure. The more classic texts he knows, the better off he will be in the long run.

He may have hit most of these, but here are a few my ten year old has enjoyed around here recently:

The Ranger's Apprentice series

Nick of Time by Ted Bell

The Melendy Quartet by Elizabeth Enright

The Penderwicks

The Cricket in Times Square (and following books)

The Indian in the Cupboard

Incident at Hawk's Hill

Tarzan

Snow Treasure

Cheaper by the Dozen

And my son read The Neverending Story yesterday and thought it was great.

Sounds like my 10 year old ds!

He's reading through LOTR right now -- he's 1/2 way through The Return of the King and LOVES it, so I highly recommend the trilogy for your ds.

Other books he's especially liked --

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Treasure Island

Oliver Twist

Robinson Crusoe

The Coral Island

books by H. Irving Hancock -- esp.

The Grammar School Boys Series

The High School Boys Series

The High School Boys' Vacation Series

The West Point Series

The Annapolis Series

The Dave Darrin Series

Uncle Sam's Boys Series

Swallows and Amazons was one of those series my brother and I literally *fought* over at about that age. :)

Also, what about any of the Jules Verne books? (Some translations are better than others.)

And Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series?