Menu

How to Cook Brussels Sprouts

I like them lightly steamed (I just put a bit of water in the bottom of a saucepan and put them in and the lid, steam for a few minutes), then tossed in butter, a squeeze of lemon, some pepper and a dash of Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce).

stir fried in EVOO with a bit of seasoning (soy sauce, or minced garlic, or freshly ground pepper)

or

boil just til barely tender (really, don't cook it much)drain and cut in half. Dip in egg wash, and bread with breadcrumbs and parmesan. Fry in a skillet til golden brown on all side. My kids used to call these turtles when they were little.

A casserole from my MIL: Cook a pkg. (1 lb.) frozen B Sprouts according to directions. Drain and mix with 1 15. oz can of quartered artichoke hearts. (NOT marinated ones) and put into a small to medium sized casserole dish.

In a small bowl mix together 1/2 Cup mayo, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon celery salt. Spoon this over veggies. Sprinlke with sliced or slivered almonds and a bit of Parmesan cheese. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden.

From the Barefoot Contessa (adapted a bit):

Cook 3-4 strips of bacon in large skillet. Remove the bacon and add 1 container of B sprouts (washed, ends trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise unless they're very small). Brown the sprouts in the bacon drippings over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup golden raisins and 1.5 cups chx stock or good broth. lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife - about 15 minutes. Add S & P to taste. Mix in crumbled bacon and serve. Yummy!

I generally roast them but lately I have thought it would be nice to try some new ways. My family is learning to like them and I thought it would be good to add some variety.

-Savannah

www.hammocktracks.com

:lol:I roast them too. I did try a sample at Whole Foods this past winter. They were delicious. The woman roasted them with a touch of mapple syrup. I know that sounds odd, but they were "Yummy." It was a very little, and you could not tell by looking at them. Just a hint.