Menu

A local homeschooler boy got a concussion on the head when playing soccer....

Do you know what happened? Sounds like quite the concussion!

Really though, you could get hurt anywhere and everywhere. Concussions in sports are really quite rare. (But, I've got to admit, every time I hear about a child getting hit in the chest or head with a baseball and dying, I freak out a little more (my kids play baseball)!!!) I'm still going to let my kids play.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I understand the fear though!!

our pediatrician told us soccer was the #1 head injury sport. Concussions are VERY serious. Trust me, I have MUCH experience with them and they have proven to be life altering for me and my ds, who suffered a double concussion this past October and is still not the same.

I'm sorry to read your son is still not doing well Denise. It still makes me angry remembering how irresponsible his coach was.

:grouphug:

Bill

My dh will not let our dc play soccer because of the likelihood of injuries. My dds do take ballet, and I do know a girl who an ankle injury when she fell off pointe. Recovery was several months. So I know it can happen, but in ballet they are not getting hit on the head LOL!

Our son plays soccer, and it would absolutely devastate him to stop. However, I can fully understand your fear. He's already suffered 2 concussions, and he's only 7. The first one came from a collision with another child - it also caused a huge gash over his eye requiring stitches. That concussion was considered mild. The other came while he was practicing in our driveway, and he fell over the ball. He hit his head on the concrete and blacked out immediately. During the ride to the hospital, he kept asking the same 3 questions over and over again. It really freaked me out, although he doesn't remember most of it. I am fearful he will get another concussion and it will alter him. Dh was a soccer player, and he tells me I'm worrying too much, but head injuries can change a person forever.

I didn't know that there are leagues that don't allow headers. If that's the case with Upwards soccer, then I wouldn't have a problem with my ds playing this fall. I'll be sure to ask about that before deciding. I also think that soccer might be more risky for younger children whose skulls are not fully developed yet. Teenagers should do fine. Two of my older boys played it several years and loved it. No problems there. I'm sorry, Denise, that your son suffered double concussion, wow. How old was he?

My kids just started Upwards soccer, and while our first games were rained out today, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any headers allowed. (I only get to watch my 5yo's practice, due to scheduling, and dh takes the 8yo, but he hasn't mentioned it.) So at least in the younger grades I would expect it to be 'safer'.

But yeah the idea of a concussion is scary.

We had to see a literal brain surgeon for several years for something that turned out. . . thank you, thank you. . . to be benign.

But the brain surgeon steered us away from doing soccer (he said nobody should be head butting) and regular "ball"sports -- and really encouraged karate.

That's what he had his son do for several years.

Alley

There are very, very strict rules regarding head injuries, head pain, neck/back pain for high school football in this state. My husband and his fellow football coaches go through many hours of 'concussion training' each year before the season begins. I would hope that soccer coaches had similar requirements, but maybe they don't...

:iagree: I'm curious to know how that situation has progressed or resolved.

we were disgusted at how the school district swept everything under the rug. Being distraught and thinking my son MAY need to transfer to a private school, we sought out a lawyer to sue for funds for private school. The lawyer, also a basketball coach, was disgusted....... but still declined to take on our case.

We were too exhausted to do anything else and let it go.

Ds has seen a neurologist, who was completely useless. We've spoken to his pediatrician. Again, no help in the medical community. Ds is now on antidepressants because his mood never returned to normal, (just started these last week.... I waited a LONG time for his anger to get under control) he's still having some issues with school work, although it's MUCH improved, and he's still suffering severe sweating regularly, and other random and irregular neurological abnormalities. Having been through my own concussion, I understand what he's going through and feel frustrated for lack of support and treatment in the medical community.

Although he's being treated for depression, he's still abnormally goofy, even for him, and some days we laugh until it hurts. :D

ETA: Ds is 14, almost 15, and he STILL has days where he absolutely is NOT capable of being quiet. When I say this, I mean talking for 8 hours on end, making noise nonstop, talking jibberish, etc. This started the day after his dc.

Edited by Denisemomof4

There are very, very strict rules regarding head injuries, head pain, neck/back pain for high school football in this state. My husband and his fellow football coaches go through many hours of 'concussion training' each year before the season begins. I would hope that soccer coaches had similar requirements, but maybe they don't...

our lovely football coaches told ds to tell his parents what happened, and then had him walk back to the school, unattended, to get picked up by dad. :001_huh::cursing:

our lovely football coaches told ds to tell his parents what happened, and then had him walk back to the school, unattended, to get picked up by dad. :001_huh::cursing:

That would never have happened on my husband's team. I'm amazed (and pleased) by the amount of training our coaches have every year. And I see them following through -- any player even suspected of having a head injury is off the field, out of the game or practice immediately. Any player 'down' with head/neck pain is seen immediately by the team doctors (from the nearby children's hospital -- they are at every practice, every game).

I'm very sorry to read about your son's injury, and hope that some changes have been made at his school.

That would never have happened on my husband's team. I'm amazed (and pleased) by the amount of training our coaches have every year. And I see them following through -- any player even suspected of having a head injury is off the field, out of the game or practice immediately. Any player 'down' with head/neck pain is seen immediately by the team doctors (from the nearby children's hospital -- they are at every practice, every game).

I'm very sorry to read about your son's injury, and hope that some changes have been made at his school.

When my ds received a concussion in a basketball game (from getting punched in the head from a player on the other team) his coach didn't even realize what had happened. My ds kept trying to tell him that he couldn't see (because his vision was blurry) but the coach didn't take him out (he didn't understand what he meant.) He finished the game and then went to the ER!

The worst injuries my kids have gotten have been utterly inadvertently.

Can't protect them from Murphy. :)

My dd loves soccer, has never been hurt playing.

She has, however, got stitches in her face from tripping and broken her nose simply playing about the yard.

The older one simply stepped wrong going down a hill and broke her arm in two places.

Nothing I could have stopped from happening. I wouldn't keep my kids out of sports or anything else because of "maybe".

Just my .02

:D

I wouldn't keep my kids out of sports or anything else because of "maybe".

:iagree: There are risks everywhere in life. All four of the doctors in the family practice group we go to have kids in competitive sports. They have seen plenty of sports injuries, both with their own kids and on the high school teams for which they provide the team doctor services. They feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Middle ds is currently playing on a homeschool JV baseball team. The experience has been incredible. The coaches are great, and my son is learning so much -- not just about baseball, but about what it means to be a man of character.

Oldest ds has had three serious knee injuries -- two were on the soccer field, but the third one he suffered by slipping on a wet floor. He's now seriously into bicycling. :001_smile:

Youngest ds plays soccer. Due to his increased risk for retinal detachment, he isn't allowed to do repeated headers in practice. But as his ophthalmologist said, we can't wrap him up in cotton for the rest of his life. We don't let him do football, karate, etc. because the risks are too great.

I'm laughing a little reading these...

After all the concussion trainings my husband has attended and all the strict head/neck injury procedures he enforces on his team, our son recently got a concussion while playing on his pogo stick.

Your child needs a helmet for a pogo stick? :confused:

Yes, he does.

Those boys aren't just bouncing up and down a little bit on those things -- they're going up and down curbs and park benches and over their bikes (!) and seeing just how far they can launch themselves and trying to jump high enough to do 'tricks.'

Apparently there is now something called 'extreme pogo-sticking' -- people (male people, I'm guessing) do flips and jump over big things and launch themselves off of roofs and whatnot. Hmmm...

I had only thought of requiring helmets on moving things with wheels. The ER nurse reprimanded me thoroughly. ;)