Menu

So, where are all the Colorado people?

Are you all frozen under? I know it's cold here, but isn't it at least warm in your homes?

I'm up here in northern Colorado (Fort Collins). I've lived here almost all my life. My daughter (who is now 19) was born here).

Hope someone else posts. :)

Hi This is my first post here, though I check it and read it often. We use the WTM though I agree it is hard to find a lot of people using it in Denver. I have 9, 6, and 3, year old boys and a 6 month old girl. We are in year 3 of SOTW.

Just wanted to introduce myself and hope next week will be a little warmer!

Blessings.

Angie (home4fun)

Chai - we moved here from Minnesota in August too - well, August of 1994... :) It's definitely warmer here than there. Most of the time.

I'm already a whimp! My dh and I have been whining because it has been so "cold" here the last two weeks. Yesterday was only a high of 19! And I find myself whining on the few days that it is cloudy here. I was talking to my girlfriend in MN this morning. Today, the high is below 0. She said that the MN winter has been nice this year generally with highs in the 20s. That sounds terrible to me already! :)

Anyway, I do like the CO weather, but I really miss my friends in MN. We are very busy with activities here, but it isn't quite the same. I find myself spending way more time with my virtual friends.

We are in the southwest suburbs of Denver too. We moved in October from Iowa. I have not yet met many homeschoolers, but I would love to!

Laura

Laura, you can e-mail me at donelda at visi dot com

We can compare notes on our moves and settling in here.

I've gotten involved with a few different homeschooling groups--trying to find just the right fit.

Heya,

We're located just south of Silt Colorado (which is west of Glenwood Springs) and we have absolutely been feeling the frozen tundra this year! I think currently its about 14 degrees and we're expecting 12-inches of snow through tomorrow!

Gregory

I live just north of downtown Colorado Springs -- have been here for almost 3 years now. Before that, we lived in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Kansas. We homeschooled our boys using an ecletic mix based around the Well Trained Mind, but unfortunately both kids have moved on to other opportunities.

My oldest is completing his first year of a two year IB program at the United World College of the Atlantic in Wales (full scholarship for all kids accepted). He absolutely loves it -- and his unique background from homeschooling really set him apart.

My youngest is completing 8th grade at the local middle school where he is at the top of his class in a middle years IB program. Homeschooling was not a good fit for this kid (he is definitely extrinsically motivated!) but the years that we did homeschool set an excellent foundation and I would change a thing. It seems like the IB middle years program here takes quite a few kids who were homeschooled for elementary. He is applying to attend a boarding school for high school -- so we really don't know where he will be next year.

I enjoyed reading the forums and I pop in every now and then to catch up -- I am now back in school to get my elementary education degree and teaching license, so hopefully I can be one of those "homeschool friendly" teachers in the future.

Stef

• 1 month later...

We're in CO, although it looks like we might be leaving in the next year. :( We're a military family NE of Denver (Westminster) & we have a great group of classical hs'ers! If you're interested, PM me & I'll give you the details. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are in Colorado Springs. We moved here last summer from AZ. We haven't met many classical homeschoolers and have yet to fit in with a co-op. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ds,7, dd1 4, dd2 2, baby boy #2 due in July.

I just thought I'd check out the main forum board to see if they had a networking board, and sure enough they do! The second posting was about Colorado, too. We just moved here to Highlands Ranch a week ago, but I'm already feeling homesick. Don't get me wrong...it's beautiful, and I'm sure I'll love it. I'm just missing the beach! (We moved here from Florida.) I'm hoping I'll be able to find a homeschool group that "fits" our family. We have a ds-15, dd-12, ds-10, dd-3, and dd-2.

Blessings,

DeeFL (I guess I need to change that to DeeCO!)

Guest ksweet

Hi, I am new here. First time posting. I have been doing WTM with my son for two years now. I am looking for others in Southern Denver suburbs who are doing classical homeschooling. We live in Castle Rock. I know it has been awhile since anyone has posted on this one but I would especially love to connect with anyone south of Denver.

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest debsydoo

Anyone from CO springs want a Fl pen pal? I have an 11 (ds) and 8 (dd) 6 year old could possible get on board too:). Son was born in Colorado springs to I think it would be neat for him to have a connection to his pen pal!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm here. I also live in Castle Rock and am slowly changing over toward a more WTMish schooling.

I know of a few others in Castle Rock following WTM.

We moved here from CA a year ago. I love the mountains and the snow but miss the laid back lifestyle (yes, the central coast of CA is laid back). My DH also misses him job. But a lot of our family are in the Loveland/Greeley area.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in Lakewood, but we are looking to buy in Parker/Castle Rock/ Franktown. My kids are actually in public school now because our school does Saxon Math, Shurley English, Sadlier Oxford Vocab, etc, with awesome music, art program....But when we move, they'll probably have to come back home. Also, we are looking rural so we can have a cow and chickens and I just don't think I'm up to driving them everyday.

• 3 months later...
Guest SRMH

Hi, we are a family from Fort Collins Colorado and our children went to Ridgeview Classical Schools. It was wonderful! However we had to move to Denver because of jobs. My kids are in the Cherry Creek school district and it has been okay, but obviously not the classical curriculum. I am planning to homeschool this summer, and I am also considering taking my son out of school next year. He was targeted this past week by his principle and two of his teachers unfairly. We are considering speaking with the superintendent, but we feel very discouraged. I am worried about the school sizes here in Denver, the curriculum, and his ability to really enjoy learning. I am hoping to find out if anyone lives near Parker.(We live in Centennial/Englewood/Parker) My husband and I have talked about how we could work and homeschool him throughout the school year. If there are those of you out there who work together homeschooling your children or would be interested I would love to hear from you. My husband is fluent in Spanish, French, and Italian. He is also a professional Illustrater and could teach art. I love to teach history. We are new here and would really like to meet people with the same desire; to educate kids in a safe environment.

• 3 years later...