Menu

Can we chat about cosmetics?

Ok, I'm not one to wear a lot of make-up. What I buy normally last at least 1 or 2 years. Lately, however, I'm starting to wear it more (I am getting older :D) My question is, is it worth it to buy the really good stuf?

Right now I have Loreal. My sister is really into Bare Escentials, and my friends in the area love MK. When I see how much the "better stuff" cost, I avoid it and buy my normal stuff at walmart. But is the other stuff better? My sister and my friends say it lasts longer (I think they mean the foundation, but maybe everything). If it does last longer, than I would think it might be worth it to spend more. But just looking at the price difference is a little overwhelming.

I'm not just considering this for myself. My sister wants to get my dd a Bare Escentials starter kit (probably at Christmas). But I'm unsure if I want her hooked on expensive stuff.

So what does everyone use? And is the expensive stuff worth it.

Kim

L'Oreal is made by Lancome, so don't bother going better with that brand; it's all the same! You'd be surprised how many "upper end" cosmetic companies have "Walmart-class" lines and it's literally all the same thing. I had a book that outlined this, but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe googling "who makes what make up" might bring some info.

Personally, I use MK. I like it; it works. The only other brand I've liked is Burt's Bees for skin care. If by "getting older" you mean your skin is drier, I'd not go for the mineral kinds. They can make fine lines stand out, or so sayeth my MK lady. I use MK's mineral foundation and like it a lot and I'm 41.

I just threw out everything I had and bought all new Ulta. I like it and it wasn't very expensive. I have tried Bare Essentials and loved it, however it just took longer for me and I need quick and easy. I would think it would be great for a teen as it is made to look natural.

Some of the expensive stuff is worth the money; other stuff is overpriced b/c of pretty packaging. I like MK concealer; their eye shadow is also quality, but dislike the sales pitch and up-sell. I like Bare Minerals and a few items from Artistry (Amway). Mascara and lip liner, IMO, are a dime a dozen, so buy cheap, cheap. As I primarily wear mascara and lip liner/lipstick, I usually spend minimal amounts on make up. I would suggest spending a bit more on eye makeup remover and cleanser/toner if budget is important.

You know, it depends on your skin. I used to use a lot of MK stuff and loved it. Then they changed the formula on a couple of things and I broke out. I still use a couple of MK items, but mostly not.

I use some Clinique now and it does really well. I got the Almost Makeup (very light "foundation" that is barely there), powder, and the Moisture Relief lotion for thirsty skin. I have weird skin that is reactive to a lot of things. I love these.

Can you go to a store and do a trial for something like Clinique? You can also get MK samples and get a makeover as well to see if their products work. Those are just a couple. It really does depend on your skin.

Oh, and I don't wear a lot of make up nor do I wear it every day. Most days, I might powder my nose before I head out to run the kids to swimming, and that's all.

This could have been me about 8 years ago. I started wearing make up more regularly and asked myself these same questions.

The best reference my mom gave me was Paula's Begoun's Cosmetic Cop website. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

She also has a couple of books that are all about different cosmetic companies and their products. She gives recommendations based on skin types which I found very helpful.

My mom swears by Bare Minerals........but with my dry skin, it didn't work for me.

I totally am eclectic and some things I pay bucks for and other things I'll buy at the dollar store if I could. I think everyone is different, but for me the things worth paying for are

-moisturizer (although I've been happy with Oil of Olay products for 20 years now)

-lipstick

-mascara

Everything else is up for discussion

If you want to pick one thing to get your daughter hooked on early, it's a moisturizing sunscreen, or a sunscreen/moisturizer combo. Regular sunscreens can be gloppy and wierd, plus it smells like sunscreen. But, it's worth it to pay extra to get a good moisturizer that contains sunscreen that your dd will wear everyday. I SOOOO wish I'd started wearing daily sunscreen earlier.

MK has a couple very nice products that contain sunscreen (Timewise Day Solution, which is worn under moisturizer and has SPF 25. Or, Age Fighting Moisturer Sunscreen, which is an easy one-step moisturizer, but only has SPF 15). I'm not sure what the dept. store brands have. I haven't looked.

The other thing I pay extra for is foundation (mainly because my skin is so dry and sensitive). If I wore eye make-up, I'd pay for a good eye makeup remover. Also, if she has a problem with acne, I'd pay good money to clear it up.

I love Clinique's foundation and moisturizer (I use a kind with sunscreen, very important). However, when it comes to color how expensive it is doesn't matter so much. I like MAC because I like to use very saturated color sometimes but when I'm going for a simple look I go with drugstore brands.

someone told me (but I can't remember who, or if that person was a good source) that the make-up were made by the same companies (like Lancome-Loreal) but the cheaper stuff was "watered" down. I have no idea how to figure out if that is really true. I like my loreal, but if lancome is the same but "better" maybe I should try it. But I also may give MK a try. Everyone around here loves it.

someone told me (but I can't remember who, or if that person was a good source) that the make-up were made by the same companies (like Lancome-Loreal) but the cheaper stuff was "watered" down. I have no idea how to figure out if that is really true. I like my loreal, but if lancome is the same but "better" maybe I should try it. But I also may give MK a try. Everyone around here loves it.

I said that earlier in the thread! LOL

Anyway, I've read in a few places that it's the exact same thing, but it's been a while, so I can't cite you sources.

I use the Pur minerals from Ulta and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm not sure, but I believe most of the mineral makeups are very similar. It is $23.00 for the compact, but that is concealer, foundation, and powder all in one. So, that is really not a bad price. Plus, it seems to make my skin less prone to break-outs and all I have to do in the morning is brush on the make-up and I'm set for the day. Can't say enough good things about it!

Ok, I'm not one to wear a lot of make-up. What I buy normally last at least 1 or 2 years. Lately, however, I'm starting to wear it more (I am getting older :D) My question is, is it worth it to buy the really good stuf?

Right now I have Loreal. My sister is really into Bare Escentials, and my friends in the area love MK. When I see how much the "better stuff" cost, I avoid it and buy my normal stuff at walmart. But is the other stuff better? My sister and my friends say it lasts longer (I think they mean the foundation, but maybe everything). If it does last longer, than I would think it might be worth it to spend more. But just looking at the price difference is a little overwhelming.

I'm not just considering this for myself. My sister wants to get my dd a Bare Escentials starter kit (probably at Christmas). But I'm unsure if I want her hooked on expensive stuff.

So what does everyone use? And is the expensive stuff worth it.

Kim

L'Oreal's Bare Naturale mineral foundation is every bit as good as Bare Escentuals. Also, if you want to sample makeup, don't forget about eBay. There are LOTS of sellers of most items, including Philosophy products.

Less is more as we age. I highly recommend mineral makeup. However, there's a learning curve to it. Most women use far too much at first. It is deceptive because it takes so little... and looks so natural. It takes time to learn how to apply it, but once you have that down, it is a breeze to sweep it on and fly out the door.

eHow: How to apply mineral makeup

Everyday Minerals is bismuth-free as I recall and they have formulas without the shine you can get form some mineral foundations as well as matte and more intensive formulas.

My collection is a mix but with very sensitive dry skin, it's been an adventure. Honestly, some of the best things I have used are drug store lines as far as cleansers and moisturizers go. For color cosmetics, I like variety and styles change so often I refuse to pay department store prices. I LOVE having a lot of lipsticks in every color known to man. Since lipstick does not keep all that long, I buy at the drugstore. Avon has great lipsticks for great prices, as does e.l.f. where most things are $1-$5.

In skin care, it's the ingredients, not who makes it so learn to read labels and recognize ingredient names as well as current anti-aging developments. It will save you a lot of money. Also, if you want tons of reviews on everything int eh cosmetics world, check out http://www.makeupalley.com

Everyday Minerals is bismuth-free as I recall and they have formulas without the shine you can get form some mineral foundations as well as matte and more intensive formulas.

They are and I love them. I've recently tried Alima and broke out after using it in an area of one of my cheeks that tends toward rosacea. I second the Makeup Alley recommendation. I love them. As for skin care, I use the natural stuff, also, but if one doesn't have sensitive skin or isn't bothered by the -cones, then there are products at the drugstore that are inexpensive and work well, from what I have read.

I've noticed a difference as I've aged. My skin finds most too irritating now.

I never wore much (still don't), did start needing something to even out skin tone---in the last year I started using a tinted moisturizer by Suki

It isn't cheap but lasts a long long time. Works better for me than the powders.

I also use their bright complexion mask, this removed several bright red marks. MD told me I'd need laser treatment to get rid of them. This mask totally removed 2 of 3 in 3 months, w/the third barely noticeable (10 months later).

Very picky about lipstick/gloss: my favorite is BB tube gloss.

I wear the Physician's Formula Mineral Makeup. I had been wearing BE, but the cost was killing me. :P I love Mineral Makeup b/c it does last a LONG time (provided my dd doesn't get into my makeup bag :lol:). I asked for the Philosophy Miracle Worker package for Christmas and LOVE it! I could see myself splurging on it again. :)

Makeup is my favorite thing to chat about, next to homeschooling, of course!

Before having children, I worked in the cosmetics industry as a researcher and writer. I tested various cosmetics, skin care, hair care, and bath & body products and then wrote reviews on the products. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it! :D

The most important thing I learned as a cosmetics researcher is that more expensive does not always equal better quality: There are good and bad products in every line. The trick is finding products that work well for your skin type. In my opinion, it's worth it to splurge on a good sunscreen, cleanser, moisturizer, foundation, and concealer.

As some other posters mentioned, MakeupAlley is an awesome resource, plus Paula Begoun's new BeautyPedia is amazing. Also, checkout http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist if you want to check out a product's ingredients.

I hope this helps!

Yes, I know that Estee Lauder owns a whole bunch of makeup brands. Here's a list of their company brands.

Here's L'Oreal's list of brands.

There are others I'm sure. I remember seeing the Estee Lauder list last year or 2 years ago and being very surprised. There are a lot of reputable brands and quality makeup on there that I personally use as well.