Menu

Thinking Christmas cards already...

If I have a baby girl, do you think it would be OK to have her pictured as Baby Jesus in our Christmas picture? I would have DD1 as Mary, DS1 as Joseph, DS2 as a shepherd and DD2 as an angel. I think it would look really, really cute, but.....would it work with a girl baby? The baby would only be 1-1.5mo, but still.

We did this when we had baby #3, and the picture was adorable. I would love to do it again. What do you think?

I think that you should do it. You want to. No reason why not that I can think up. I hope you post a picture of the card when the time comes. I bet it will be adorable.

It's certainly a much better idea than dressing the baby as a goblin or a turkey, especially for a Christmas card.

We did it one year. Sorry the pic is so huge - can't figure out how to post a smaller one! The quality is poor too b/c I was trying to make it smaller so as not to slow down the website. Anyway, you get the idea!

FinalNativityPhoto-1.jpg

Edited by MeganW

At the time (before we moved), we were members of a pretty conservative Episcopal church. I asked the (extremely conservative) priest if it was appropriate before doing it, and he definitely would have told me if he thought it wasn't in good taste. His comment was something along the lines of "what a wonderful way to send the normal kid Christmas card picture and yet redirect people's attention to the real reason for Christmas". He also commented that our own church was having a Nativity pageant and a member's baby was playing Jesus, and that wasn't any different. Given his enthusiasm for the project, I felt confident going forward.

ETA - he did say something about trying to get the kids looking reverant, as opposed to wild or silly or happy or whatever.

----------------------------------

Here's how we set it up - the brown on the floor is a roll of kraft paper that had been through the shredder. We borrowed costumes from the church.

FinalNativityPhoto-behindthescenes.jpg

Edited by MeganW

Megan, I don't know why I didn't think of that when DD was born.

That picture is priceless.

All I could think of was the 3 little pigs & the big, bad wolf, and Goldilocks and the 3 bears. Halloween costumes, maybe, but not Christmas cards.

My fav halloween costume was 3 blind mice, plus my toddler terror as the farmer's wife, complete with carving knife! :)

My fav Christmas card that we have done was entitled "A Birthday Party for Jesus", and my kids were dressed as angels. Scenary was white & gold - white cake with gold swoops & lit candles, gold packages everywhere, etc.

After looking at Megan's picture I think it's a great idea. A baby that young doesn't get into the gender thing if you don't put a pink headband on her. Be sure and show us the picture when Advent arrives. Can I really say Advent in Easter ? :)

That's my baby girl in the basket! :)

Well, if you can do it, we can do it!!

Here's our picture from when ds2 was a baby. He was a little wiggly in the cradle, so my dd had to hold him. It worked out OK. This baby should be small enough to stay in the cradle, and with the crowd around him/her, I think it will be cute.

I can't figure out how to make it a picture, so I had to do a link.

nativity