Menu

Where do you deposit your kitchen waste before putting it in the compost?

We have two of these:

http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.aspx?ProductID=48563&CategoryID=747

They aren't elegant (sorry!) but they hold a lot, which is important for our family. They fit in our Asko dishwasher - good because compost can get smelly sometimes. They are also lightweight, which is good because my children take out the compost.

We also have two trugs:

http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.aspx?ProductID=48385&search=trug

I love the looks of all the pretty accessories, like harvesting baskets and ceramic compost pails, but they aren't practical for our family.

I've also seen stainless steel compost buckets at Gardener's Supply:

http://www.gardeners.com/Compost-Crocks/20707,default,sc.html

These wouldn't break when the children take out the compost, and they are dishwasher-safe. I'd get one of these if I wasn't so happy with the cheapo plastic ones. No way would I get the bamboo crock. Stuff drips on the outside sometimes, and that would be hard to clean.

Have fun shopping!

GardenMom

I've also seen stainless steel compost buckets at Gardener's Supply:

http://www.gardeners.com/Compost-Crocks/20707,default,sc.html

Have fun shopping!

GardenMom

Thanks for the links GardenMom! The Gardener's Supply stoneware compost crock reminded me of an unused pottery casserole dish that I had in the cupboard. It holds the icecream container, looks good on the counter and might just do the trick! Thanks for triggering the idea.

We have a stainless steel compost bucket sitting next to the sink. It's sitting in a pretty white dish with a bit of water to keep the sugar ants out. (We live in the PNW and the ants are a huge problem in even the cleanest of homes. Bleah.)

A ceramic crock was prettier, but too heavy for the boys to take out.

The stainless looks nice, and it has a filter in the lid to keep down the smell.

Cat

A small stainless bucket that can be on the counter while I cook, but that goes under the sink when not in use. An important feature to me...is that it fits in my dishwasher. I like the smaller size because it can't gather too much which helps to make sure it gets emptied often. If I need a larger container (ie when I am making big batches of sauce to freeze), then I use a bowl and take it out ASAP.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

An idea for anyone who prefers to not buy something specifically for a container. My mother used to use a plastic gallon milk jug with a hole cut in the top side across from the handle. The handle made it easy for the kids to empty into the garden. It got rinsed before it came back in the house. If it got gross, she just cut a new one.

We have a stainless steel compost bucket sitting next to the sink. It's sitting in a pretty white dish with a bit of water to keep the sugar ants out. (We live in the PNW and the ants are a huge problem in even the cleanest of homes. Bleah.)

A ceramic crock was prettier, but too heavy for the boys to take out.

The stainless looks nice, and it has a filter in the lid to keep down the smell.

Cat

We use the Stainless Steel one as well. We broke two of the ceramic crocks before going with this one. No ant problem here (at least not in our compost crock.)