Menu

Can Miquon stand alone in the early years?

In2why

I see that a lot of you are using Miquon and Singapore together but I don't understand why. What are they missing that they need from each other?

Right now we are using Saxon and I go back and forth about whether I like it or not. It also makes it hard because I am still assessing my son's math abilities. He is in 1st grade and seems mathy. Some of the lessons are too easy and some concepts he has never seen. But he picks it up pretty quickly. I downloaded the free Orange Miquons and I am intrigued. I am thinking about mixing Saxon and Miquon together and seeing which he grasps the best.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

We use Miquon alone. It's an unusual sequence, so could lead to a tough transition if we had to put them in ps, but that sequence is a big reason for our choosing it to begin with. IMO, it's plenty, but I have two who wouldn't do well with a lot of drill, and I do occasionally supplement with other worksheets or games to reinforce, but not consistently or often.

The short answer from my perspective is Miquon is a wonderful starting point if you intend to do programs like Singapore and MEP.

We started Miquon and Miquon inspired play when my son was 3.5.

The "concrete" exposure to mathematical relationships via Cuisenaire Rods was an age appropriate way for him to understand math (and in a "fun" way).

Building "trains" (stacking rods in different combinations that make the same value) are just a concrete means of making the whole-parts combinations found in Singapore style number bonds.

The Singapore materials are "weak" in providing this concrete phase of learning, although there are ideas to overcome this in the HIGs. Still they don't match the experience of exposure though guided discovery that one gets in Miquon.

The Miquon teachers material are also invaluable. I got a great deal of insight from reading these. Everything we've done math-wise was influenced (for the better) for *my* exposure to Miquon.

Even before a child can write (or write well) they can "prove" equations doing the kind of activities Miquon inspires. For my son it built interest and enjoyment in doing math. And I think this early exposure helped build a "mathier" brain than might otherwise have been the case.

I also think it helps that the lab-sheet pages (which at times look like alien IQ tests), are free of bunnies and birdies and other cute animals, and get a child used to seeing pure math.

Where Singapore shines is in building methods and strategies that Miquon doesn't attempt (but which it does prepare students to understand).

So strength upon strength.

MEP, to throw one more program out there, builds on the logic and problem solving that Miquon prepares a child to enjoy. The challenging, thought-requiring, fun puzzle-like problems keep mathematics a *thinking* child's game.

While Miquon has moved to 3rd position around here, I remain eternally grateful that we used it to introduce math. And anytime we move to new concerts Miquon or teaching activities inspired by Miquon remain the "go to" resource for me.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We use Miquon alone. It's an unusual sequence, so could lead to a tough transition if we had to put them in ps, but that sequence is a big reason for our choosing it to begin with. IMO, it's plenty, but I have two who wouldn't do well with a lot of drill, and I do occasionally supplement with other worksheets or games to reinforce, but not consistently or often.

What do you plan to use after Miquon?

The short answer from my perspective is Miquon is a wonderful starting point if you intend to do programs like Singapore and MEP.

Bill

What if one does not plan to use Singapore or MEP after Miquon but something more like Saxon, CLE or BJU math? Should one use Miquon as a supplement then rather than a stand alone program?

Thank you,

I'd say yes and that's what we'd be doing if DD hadn't decided rather strongly that she dislikes Miquon, especially the rods. I still use ideas I get from the teacher book and will probably slip in some of the lab pages again at some point.

We are in the middle of the Red book..,just started SM 2A...and we dabble in MEP and RS games...and a tiny bit of MM (b/c I had to try it LOL:tongue_smilie:)

Miquon can be enough for some kids. It depends on how the dc learn and what the parents' goals include for 1st-3rd grades.

One of my goals for 1st grade is automacity with +/- facts through 20. I've found that Miquon is great for explaining HOW we add 8+7 and WHY (and what that means for 7+8 or 15-7 or 15-8)...but it's sure nice to have other materials to practice and review until Mommy is satisfied with the level of mastery. Singapore does that well...and meshes with Miquon's methods.

The miquon/Sing combo was recommended to me YEARS ago by a vet HSer when my oldest was just a baby...so it's not a new idea to combine the two.

What if one does not plan to use Singapore or MEP after Miquon but something more like Saxon, CLE or BJU math? Should one use Miquon as a supplement then rather than a stand alone program?

Thank you,

I would think the exposure a child gets in Miquon would be valuable no matter what program they use afterwards.

It's just that what makes something like Singapore "peculiar" for those of us not raised on this sort of math approach seems very natural and "normal" to child who has done the same sort of "modeling" they will find in Singapore, with Cuisenaire Rods using Miquon.

It's surprising to me the Singapore system doesn't include this sort of Cuisenaire Rod work up-front, because it really is a concrete version of their Model Method. So there is especially "high-value" using these two in a kind of tandem.

The only other concern is once they have a taste for "thought-provoking" math they might not take to a program that doesn't sufficiently feed a critical thinking/reasoning part of their minds. You would be opening gate-ways to mathematical reasoning that I think most children who enjoy Miquon (there are some who do not) would be upset to find closed. If you know what I mean?

Bill

We are in the middle of the Red book..,just started SM 2A...and we dabble in MEP and RS games...and a tiny bit of MM (b/c I had to try it LOL:tongue_smilie:)

Miquon can be enough for some kids. It depends on how the dc learn and what the parents' goals include for 1st-3rd grades.

Seven years ago I tried Miquon with my oldest ds, but it didn't go very well. I was too tired and not patient enough to figure it out (had 3 toddlers, a baby and pregnant) but now I am thinking of revisiting it :001_huh: for my last two dc. I'm not so exhausted anymore;). BUT, I don't want to supplement. I have other dc to teach as well, so this is why I'm wondering if Miquon can be used all my itself.

I don't plan to use Singapore or MEP though:o

I think it can. The only thing that I've heard might be necessary is something for drilling arithmetic facts, such as Calculadders. Personally, I would not feel a need to use an additional, comprehensive math product (like Singapore) while using Miquon.

Seven years ago I tried Miquon with my oldest ds, but it didn't go very well. I was too tired and not patient enough to figure it out (had 3 toddlers, a baby and pregnant) but now I am thinking of revisiting it :001_huh: for my last two dc. I'm not so exhausted anymore;). BUT, I don't want to supplement. I have other dc to teach as well, so this is why I'm wondering if Miquon can be used all my itself.

I think it can. The only thing that I've heard might be necessary is something for drilling arithmetic facts, such as Calculadders. Personally, I would not feel a need to use an additional, comprehensive math product (like Singapore) while using Miquon.

:iagree:

I am just a curric junkie...and math is my weakness.:tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I want to use Waldorf and Miquon. But I also need to start working soon, so I don't want to have something that's too intensive.

Maybe Singapore for us? Two teacher intensive programs sound like too much in my case.

Edited by lovemykids

I would think the exposure a child gets in Miquon would be valuable no matter what program they use afterwards.

It's just that what makes something like Singapore "peculiar" for those of us not raised on this sort of math approach seems very natural and "normal" to child who has done the same sort of "modeling" they will find in Singapore, with Cuisenaire Rods using Miquon.

It's surprising to me the Singapore system doesn't include this sort of Cuisenaire Rod work up-front, because it really is a concrete version of their Model Method. So there is especially "high-value" using these two in a kind of tandem.

The only other concern is once they have a taste for "thought-provoking" math they might not take to a program that doesn't sufficiently feed a critical thinking/reasoning part of their minds. You would be opening gate-ways to mathematical reasoning that I think most children who enjoy Miquon (there are some who do not) would be upset to find closed. If you know what I mean?

Bill

Okay, hijack question: after you wrestle with understanding the concept of how to teach Miquon- how much actual teacher time do you need? Would you classify it as a teacher dependant program? Please, no tomatoes, I love to spend time with my children; I am trying to be realistic about my other responsibilities. Thank you! :)

(how much time do you need?) impossible question, I know, ballpark is fine...

Okay, hijack question: after you wrestle with understanding the concept of how to teach Miquon- how much actual teacher time do you need? Would you classify it as a teacher dependant program? Please, no tomatoes, I love to spend time with my children; I am trying to be realistic about my other responsibilities. Thank you! :)

I want to know too :blushing:

It depends. More than half of what I called "Miquon" consisted of things I made up.

Some as simple as asking him to "show me all the ways you can make 10" type activities (which took no time to speak of) and "equation" pages with problems like 2 + [ ] = 7 type pages which I made, and he largely did "independently" (Miquon has lab-sheets like this already).

Then there were a number of "direct instruction" elements not found in Miquon, such as building 3 digit numbers using base-10 flats (100s) Orange Rods (10s) and Other C Rods (Units) that took some time on my part to "invent" and impliment. But what fun!

The Miquon materials themselves don't require a tremendous amount of time, and very little pedantic instruction. The children figure out the solutions themselves. Still, it is a nice thing to have a parent/partner involved in cheering on the "discovery." My son trived on this attention and positive feed-back, and I doubt he would have enjoyed the experience as much without the one on one attention.

Still I wouldn't say the time investment is burdensome. And there are certainly things in Miquon (or things you could add) that would keep them busy. And when they finish, you could add the high praise!

I found that when I made my home-made lab-sheets my son often wanted to run off into his room so he could do them all on his own.

I'm going to do it! I'm going to do it!

And would call me into to see his accomplishment when he'd finished. They really have all the tools at hand to do many of the Miquon activities on their own.

Other things do take a parent partner. It is a mix.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We have used Miquon alone, and I am happy with where my son is at now that we're just about finished with all the books. There have been times where I wondered if it was enough, but this final year I realized that Miquon has made DS "smart" in a math way. He can figure stuff out. And faster than me!

I did supplement with Quarter Mile Math and Times Tales, for learning and reviewing math facts/tables. Both of these were effective and went over really well.

I will be looking for more thorough and incremental math coverage in curricula from here on out, but Miquon has been a great foundation. And so much more fun than laboring over pages of algorithm practice.

As for teacher dependency: I have had to help DS with maybe half the pages, but it usually doesn't take long. As the pp mentioned, the idea is to have the student figure things out for themselves.

I realized that Miquon has made DS "smart" in a math way.

This leaps out as statement I really relate to. If a math approach can be said to make a child "smart in a math way," I feel exposure to Miquon did this for my son too.

It is a very unique program.

Bill

It depends. More than half of what I called "Miquon" consisted of things I made up.

Some as simple as asking him to "show me all the ways you can make 10" type activities (which took no time to speak of) and "equation" pages with problems like 2 + [ ] = 7 type pages which I made, and he largely did "independently" (Miquon has lab-sheets like this already).

Then there were a number of "direct instruction" elements not found in Miquon, such as building 3 digit numbers using base-10 flats (100s) Orange Rods (10s) and Other C Rods (Units) that took some time on my part to "invent" and impliment. But what fun!

The Miquon materials themselves don't require a tremendous amount of time, and very little pedantic instruction. The children figure out the solutions themselves. Still, it is a nice thing to have a parent/partner involved in cheering on the "discovery." My son trived on this attention and positive feed-back, and I doubt he would have enjoyed the experience as much without the one on one attention.

Still I wouldn't say the time investment is burdensome. And there are certainly thing ins Miquon (or things you could add) that would keep them busy. And when they finish, you could add the high praise!

I found that when I made my home-made lab-sheets my son often wanted to run off into his room so he could do them all on his own.

I'm going to do it! I'm going to do it!

And would call me into to see his accomplishment when he'd finished. They really have all the tools at hand to do many of the Miquon activities on their own.

Other things do take a parent partner. It is a mix.

Bill

Thanks Bill, this helps a lot and makes total sense. Miquon sounds fun. What have I been missing all these years!? It sounds perfect for ds.

We have used Miquon alone, and I am happy with where my son is at now that we're just about finished with all the books. There have been times where I wondered if it was enough, but this final year I realized that Miquon has made DS "smart" in a math way. He can figure stuff out. And faster than me!

I did supplement with Quarter Mile Math and Times Tales, for learning and reviewing math facts/tables. Both of these were effective and went over really well.

I will be looking for more thorough and incremental math coverage in curricula from here on out, but Miquon has been a great foundation. And so much more fun than laboring over pages of algorithm practice.

As for teacher dependency: I have had to help DS with maybe half the pages, but it usually doesn't take long. As the pp mentioned, the idea is to have the student figure things out for themselves.

Thanks for this, I am looking into Quarter Mile math, ds would love that. All we have is Math Blaster and Rabbit something math on CD. He loves to play on the computer. I find the free games for him too, like the games included in the MM books.

We do have the Times Tales somewhere though, good idea.

Thanks Bill, this helps a lot and makes total sense. Miquon sounds fun. What have I been missing all these years!? It sounds perfect for ds.

It is not going to be everyones cup of tea. But for those who love it? Wow!

I've enjoyed a lot of materials we've used. Really appreciated what they have done to help me educate my son. But Miquon, and the experience we had doing it together stands apart. I'm actually sitting here getting teary-eyed thinking about it. I absolutely loved seeing his little mind work, with a happy smile on his face.

You know those commercials where the tag-line is "Priceless"? For me the time spend doing Miquon was priceless. And is something I will treasure till my last days.

Bill

It is not going to be everyones cup of tea. But for those who love it? Wow!

I've enjoyed a lot of materials we've used. Really appreciated what they have done to help me educate my son. But Miquon, and the experience we had doing it together stands apart. I'm actually sitting here getting teary-eyed thinking about it. I absolutely loved seeing his little mind work, with a happy smile on his face.

You know those commercials where the tag-line is "Priceless"? For me the time spend doing Miquon was priceless. And is something I will treasure till my last days.

Bill

You are making me teary eyed w/ the talk of teary eyed-ness when it comes to special moments w/ our little ones. Yes, priceless indeed. Okay, I am “running off†to buy the rest of the Miquon books. LOL. Hopefully it’s our cup of tea!

You are making me teary eyed w/ the talk of teary eyed-ness when it comes to special moments w/ our little ones. Yes, priceless indeed. Okay, I am “running off†to buy the rest of the Miquon books. LOL. Hopefully it’s our cup of tea!

Allow yourself some time to drink in the teachers materials. Let your child play with the C Rods (and there are ideas to get them started) while you take in the approach.

I've mentioned it before, but if you open the Orange book and panic (thinking I can't teach it! What have I done?!) don't worry. Normal reaction. But one you will laugh about later.

Bill

Allow yourself some time to drink in the teachers materials. Let your child play with the C Rods (and there are ideas to get them started) while you take in the approach.

I've mentioned it before, but if you open the Orange book and panic (thinking I can't teach it! What have I done?!) don't worry. Normal reaction. But one you will laugh about later.

Bill

Oh yes, I have already had that reaction with the Orange book. That was interesting to say the least. Like, huh!? We also have some Cuisenaire Rods, now I just need the teacher books so that we can get started. I am tempted to use Miquon w/ my non mathy third grade dd as well.

Thanks again!

Here it's not much on a daily basis, a little more when we introduce a new concept. DC spend maybe 10 minutes on a page (usually less), and I am available for questions and check their work afterward. If they do something wrong, I erase it and discuss, to make sure they get it instead of just guessing and getting lucky. Today K had something new in the graphing department, and it took about 3 minutes to show her. I wouldn't call it teacher intensive at all. Even on the crazy-looking pages, it takes 1 minute to check the TM for instructions, and somehow the kids figure it out when I'm halfway done explaining. There are a few games to play, especially in the first two books, but they take less than 10 minutes each. It's hard to believe they soak up so much math with such a small daily investment, but I'm constantly amazed how much they know.

And to homeschooling6: afterward I plan to spend a year or so on some fun other stuff, like statistics and graphing, then go into Life of Fred.

Oh yes, I have already had that reaction with the Orange book. That was interesting to say the least. Like, huh!? We also have some Cuisenaire Rods, now I just need the teacher books so that we can get started. I am tempted to use Miquon w/ my non mathy third grade dd as well.

Thanks again!

Do you have base-10 "flats"?

While Miquon is not so much a "direct instruction" type program, the same manipulatives can be used to excellent effect in showing (and allowing children to show you) the idea of building numbers as "Hundreds," "Tens" and "Units."

The "flats" give you the "Hundreds".

Another activity I came up with that really paid off when we started MEP (but was simply dumb-luck on my part) was doing a lot of "greater than/less than" works with the C. Rods.

Start with two on the table. Have them work up to be able to tell you 7 is greater than 5, or 5 is less than 7, depending on how they would "read it" from left to right.

Then (after some time) add an index card with an inequalities sign written on it (>). Have them flip it to the proper orientation. Then they read the "math sentence."

Finally, after they are really good at this (take your time) add in the final component of "how much greater?"

7 is [ 2 ] greater than 5.

And they can show you (prove to themselves) this is true using the rods.

Then you can use those same relationships to "prove" addition and subtraction.

7 is the same as [ ] plus 2.

7 - 2 = [ ]?

[ ] + 5 = 7?

And so on.

Bill

Here it's not much on a daily basis, a little more when we introduce a new concept. DC spend maybe 10 minutes on a page (usually less), and I am available for questions and check their work afterward. If they do something wrong, I erase it and discuss, to make sure they get it instead of just guessing and getting lucky. Today K had something new in the graphing department, and it took about 3 minutes to show her. I wouldn't call it teacher intensive at all. Even on the crazy-looking pages, it takes 1 minute to check the TM for instructions, and somehow the kids figure it out when I'm halfway done explaining. There are a few games to play, especially in the first two books, but they take less than 10 minutes each. It's hard to believe they soak up so much math with such a small daily investment, but I'm constantly amazed how much they know.

Thanks!

Do you have base-10 "flats"?

While Miquon is not so much a "direct instruction" type program, the same manipulatives can be used to excellent effect in showing (and allowing children to show you) the idea of building numbers as "Hundreds," "Tens" and "Units."

Another activity I came up with that really paid off when we started MEP (but was simply dumb-luck on my part) was doing a lot of "greater than/less than" works with the C. Rods.

Start with two on the table. Have them work up to be able to tell you 7 is greater than 5, or 5 is less than 7, depending on how they would "read it" from left to right.

Then (after some time) add an index card with an inequalities sign written on it (>). Have them flip it to the proper orientation. Then they read the "math sentence."

Finally, after they are really good at this (take your time) add in the final component of "how much greater?"

7 - 2 = [ ]?

[ ] + 5 = 7?

And so on.

Bill

Yes we do! Thanks again for your help, Bill. I will be sure to PM you with any questions that pop up...

And to homeschooling6: afterward I plan to spend a year or so on some fun other stuff, like statistics and graphing, then go into Life of Fred.

We have TT math and Life of Fred, so we will do a blend of that, while they skip grades in TT (until pre-alg). In addition, I plan to lightly supplement with Waldorf math, CSMP, and also Living Math books.

7 - 2 = [ ]?

[ ] + 5 = 7?

And so on.

Bill

You know, we have already done some work very similar to this. I think Miquon will be right up our alley!

:)

Thanks!

Yes we do! Thanks again for your help, Bill. I will be sure to PM you with any questions that pop up...

Please do.

I hope what you get from the Miquon materials is a sense of "liberation" and inner-confidence that we can "explain" things to our children with concrete means, and they can also be guided to make discoveries themselves with many of these same means.

When you asked how long it takes, I was conflicted in my answer. On one hand "not long." On the other, I found myself spending a lot of time pondering how I could make concepts clear to my son. What did he need to know and when? What order of business made sense. So in that way it was time consuming, but I'm a bit of a nut at times :D

For my son at least I found it helpful to work on the basics of place value from the start. Numbers were always "named" by their values as Hundreds, Tens and Units.

So 257 is 2 Hundreds 5 Tens and 7 Units. Build it with blocks, they write it. Write it, they build it. If we have 2 Hundreds 5 Tens and 7 Units what do we call it in English?

That kind of thing.

Bill

Please do.

I hope what you get from the Miquon materials is a sense of "liberation" and inner-confidence that we can "explain" things to our children with concrete means, and they can also be guided to make discoveries themselves with many of these same means.

When you asked how long it takes, I was conflicted in my answer. On one hand "not long." On the other, I found myself spending a lot of time pondering how I could make concepts clear to my son. What did he need to know and when? What order of business made sense. So in that way it was time consuming, but I'm a bit of a nut at times :D

For my son at least I found it helpful to work on the basics of place value from the start. Numbers were always "named" by their values as Hundreds, Tens and Units.

So 257 is 2 Hundreds 5 Tens and 7 Units. Build it with blocks, they write it. Write it, they build it. If we have 2 Hundreds 5 Tens and 7 Units what do we call it in English?

That kind of thing.

Bill

Me too, shhh! Don't tell. ;)

The rest makes sense - again.:001_smile: I'll send you a friendship request. :D

Wow! You guys had all kinds of conversations while I was looking over my Miquon package that just arrived :001_smile:

I'll have to come back and reread what you all wrote ;)

Remember not to PANIC when you open up the box :lol:

Been there, done that ;) :D

Bill

Wow! You guys had all kinds of conversations while I was looking over my Miquon package that just arrived :001_smile:

I'll have to come back and reread what you all wrote ;)

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you buy yours? Did you get a good deal? Enjoy! (and please let me know what you think)

:)

I panicked 7yrs. ago when I first ordered it. I think, key word 'think' I am ready to tackle this whole Miquon thing :boxing_smiley:

If *you* imagine the wield shapes in the opening pages of the Orange books are just "bunnies" it might go a whole lot better ;) :D

The kids won't care, and will never be tripped up by IQ tests :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I got a good deal I think on mine from Rainbow and got the First Grade Diary and whatever else was offered. After I ordered it I wondered if I should have just invested in the Orange book. But no, I dove into the whole set. I'm like that.

I know the panic feeling when opening it. I was like "wha..?" and then I was like "who...?" and then I was like "whoa...!" :confused::D;) Anyways, I am wrapping my brain around it a little more. What I really need is a weekend away with no family so I can pour over stuff.

Please keep the questions out in the open if you don't mind!!! No PMies. I need to be able to read your questions for Bill or other experienced peeps because at this point I don't know what I don't know...ya know?

:lurk5:

I got a good deal I think on mine from Rainbow and got the First Grade Diary and whatever else was offered. After I ordered it I wondered if I should have just invested in the Orange book. But no, I dove into the whole set. I'm like that.

I know the panic feeling when opening it. I was like "wha..?" and then I was like "who...?" and then I was like "whoa...!" :confused::D;) Anyways, I am wrapping my brain around it a little more. What I really need is a weekend away with no family so I can pour over stuff.

Please keep the questions out in the open if you don't mind!!! No PMies. I need to be able to read your questions for Bill or other experienced peeps because at this point I don't know what I don't know...ya know?

:lurk5:

Yes, that’s the best deal I can find right now. I bought the lab sheets, teacher’s notes and diary. I have the Orange e-book. I will get the rest of the workbooks at Currclick.com- I love to have e-books that will actually be utilized by a few kiddos. (instead of just taking up space on the hard drive, like most e-books tend to do)

What!? No Pmies, awww come on. You mean I have to ask stupid questions out in the open forum more often!? :001_unsure: ;) :lol:

Yes, that’s the best deal I can find right now. I bought the lab sheets, teacher’s notes and diary. I have the Orange e-book. I will get the rest of the workbooks at Currclick.com- I love to have e-books that will actually be utilized by a few kiddos. (instead of just taking up space on the hard drive, like most e-books tend to do)

What!? No Pmies, awww come on. You mean I have to ask stupid questions out in the open forum more often!? :001_unsure: ;) :lol:

I like to have a hard copy to look over. You know spread them all out :D but am going to purchase the E-books as well to print off for the kiddos. Now if only we could all meet-up some place :)

I am using Miquon orange with my Kindergartener right now. First we used Abeka K with cuisenaire rods so she would learn numbers and the rods. Now she is flying through Miquon.

My husband really believes in Saxon math and wants me to use it. It has been great for my older son who is very mathy but dysgraphic and therefore needs so much repetition on facts.

I missed the boat on Miquon with him and regretted it so much now I have h doing Saxon 3 with Miquon blue. It's awesome! He gets so excited now that we do math together for fun! I show him things and we both get excited, I am not mathy and this is the first time in my life that I really lived math.

My dd is doing Saxon 1 with Miquon orange and she loves Miquon so much she asks to do it on Saturdays.

Another interesting aspect of Miquon has been that it truly helps explain the God glorifying nature of mathematics and the order in Creation. Miquon has ways of showing number patterns that I never knew existed. This opens up great discussion about why so many people believe mathematics is a unique language of God.

It takes only a little time and is worth it.

I think it depends on your child whether it could stand alone. My dysgraphic son has to have constant reinforcement and the gentle review of Saxon works great for him. My daughter would be fine with just Miquon and occasional drill.