Menu

Could you please share your family's favorite healthy recipes?

One of our favorite dinners is a lentil concoction I created one day. It makes excellent lunch the next day.

1 lb of ground beef or turkey

a few cups of cooked lentils

1 onion - chopped

2 cloves of garlic - minced

2 carrots - chopped

2 ribs of celery - chopped

1 can of diced hot chilis

1 can of diced tomatoes

chili powder, cinammon, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste

Brown the meat and set on towels to drain.

Saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little bit of oil of your choice (I like to use coconut) until just softened. Add the tomatoes and chilis, add the meat and lentils, season to taste and make sure everything is heated through. Serve over rice or stuffed in a pita.

All of my kids love these. Which is funny, because I have two very picky eaters.

This is what I use for our family of 7, with, hopefully leftover to freeze or use for lunches.

4 c. cooked, no bone, no skin salmon (I use red {sockeye} because I don't like pink)

10 minced garlic cloves (not the whole clove, but sections). We LOVE garlic.

I add all of the vegetables below by grating or putting them in the food processor. By doing this and adding to the salmon mixture it is almost like they are a flavor added instead of a vegetable which my picky kids don't like.

10-15 brussel sprouts

1 head broccoli

3-4 large carrots

1-2 stalks celery

1 onion (usually a sweet onion)

I will use any vegetable on hand but grate so it mixes in nicely.

The brussel sprouts add a really nice flavor even though I don't even like brussel sprouts.

I also add:

8 eggs (could do less, but you need the glue to keep all the vegetables together)

1/2 c. to 1 c. ketchup (could use a tomato paste or something, but ketchup adds a nice flavor)

Around 2 c. of crackers. Stale works fine.

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together in a huge bowl.

I put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and fry them. Depending on how many veges are in the mixture depends on how much olive oil I need and how long to cook. I've never tried baking because we aren't going for low fat. It's a balance between how many veges I can pack in vs. keeping the patty together. Some times it works better than others.

These freeze really well. Hubby will take them frozen for lunch and microwave when he's ready. The kids will take out of the freezer for a snack.

I've thought about using other types of meat, like tuna or something, but never have.

Take four chicken breast halves--skinless, boneless is fine. I usually use bone in, and peel the skin off.

Saute in Pam for a few minutes in a deep, heavy pot. The meat should be white to beige in color. If you brown it all the way, it will be tough.

Pour two cans of Campbell's healthy request Cream of Chicken soup over the meat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

In the meantime, make rice. About one cup of dry rice is the right amount.

Or a good alternative is to make dumplings and steam them on top of the soup. I have two recipes--one is mostly polenta and onions, so it's pretty healthy and also very tasty. The other is mostly a white flour quick dough with poppyseeds throughout. It is to die for, but not healthy, so it kind of defeats the purpose of the meal. But just plain rice is very good with this gravy.

Add a salad and you're all set.

I just asked my family to write down their favorite dinners (because I'm sick of punting, frankly). Here's what they gave me:

Creamy Potato Soup

Salad Sandwiches (ciabatta bread, dressing, provolone, and a whole mess of raw sliced veggies)

Veggie Burritos (beans, salsa, cauliflower, broccoli, cheese, cumin and chili powder, tortillas)

Eggplant Parmesan served over spaghetti

Portobello Philly Cheese [steak - only no steak ;)] Sandwiches (portobellos, red/green peppers, onions, Italian seasoning, garlic, balsamic, smoked provolone)

Homemade Pizzas

Chili

Vegetable Lasagna (mushrooms, roasted red peppers, spinach, cottage cheese, provolone, parmesan, tomato/basil marinara, lasagna noodles)

Pea Soup served with garlic/parmesan focaccia

Sloppy Joes (modified to include ketchup and salt) served with roasted potatoes

They also like ham w/scalloped potatoes and the occasional grilled salmon or cod.

Edited by LauraGB
added more

1. Chicken baked with salsa and sprinkled with a little cheddar cheese, brown rice, corn on the cob.

2. Grilled salmon brushed with teryaki sauce, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, sweet potato fries.

3. Roasted chicken with carrots, little red potatoes and onions.

4. Veggie wraps. Spread hummus on whole grain wraps and fill with whatever raw veggies you like- red or green pepper, cucumber, snap peas, tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts, carrots, green onions, zucchini, etc.

1 small can of tomato paste

Mix thoroughly with 1 cup of hot water.

Grind up and sprinkle in:

1 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp rosemary

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp marjoram

1 tablespoon of dried minced onion flakes

Sprinkle liberally with garlic salt

Mix together.

This forms a pretty thick sauce that is just enough for one standard package of Thomas' English muffins. Top with grated part skim mozzerella, grated sharp cheddar, and chopped mushrooms and scallions. Low fat pepperoni is also good--cut it in little pieces.

Bake on a cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.

This is one of my family's favorites which adapts well to a variety of proteins. We use shrimp, tofu, tempeh or chicken. Prepare brown rice beforehand.

For six generous servings, start with a pound and a half (or so) of fresh green beans. Clip stem end, then blanch the beans in a small amount of water until they are just done (but still crunchy). Remove from heat.

Now in a wok or large skillet, saute your protein choice (shelled shrimp, tempeh, or chopped chicken) in a bit of peanut oil. Stir or flip so that everything is uniformly cooked or browned in the case of the tempeh. Remove from wok and reserve. If using tofu, you'll need to start earlier in the day. Press excess water from the tofu, marinate it in soy, then bake it.

In a small cup, prepare your sauce ingredients. Whisk together one tablespoon of a thickener (flour, cornstarch, etc.) with a tablespoon of brown sugar, two tablespoons of soy, a couple tablespoons of water, a tablespoon of sesame oil. Put it aside.

Add a tablespoon of peanut oil to the wok. Saute the drained green beans on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until a few charred spots appear. Then add minced garlic and ginger, as much as your family likes which in our case is a lot. At least a generous tablespoon of each. Continue stir frying for two more minutes. Then add your whisked sauce mix, lowering the heat a bit. Stir fry until everything is coated. Add your protein and make sure that it too is has some sauce.

Serve the beans over brown rice with a garnish of cashews.

Works well for dinner with great luncheon leftovers which some oddballs (like my son) will eat cold.

Enjoy.

Jane

Edited by Jane in NC

Jean,

Have you made the spelt crackers which have been discussed on this board previously? The recipe comes from the NY Times. My son loves them.

Cracker recipe is here.

A basic hummus can be made by blending garlic and cooked chick peas in a food processor with a drizzle of olive oil. Add a tablespoon or two of tahini and juice from a lemon or two. Some people add lots of other stuff to hummus, but my son prefers it plain.

We had hummus, homemade pitas and a big salad for dinner one night last week. The leftovers became snack and lunch the next day. Egg salad from all of those leftover Easter Eggs can also be tossed into this menu!

Jane

The New York Goodwich is a vegetarian sandwich which I have made in quantity, then stored in the fridge for grab and gos we are having busy summer days out of doors.

Recipes abound on the Internet; here is one.

(I'm thinking that you are a vegetarian or vegan--is that right? Is the same true for the rest of the family?)

I have a friend who is in FAA (food addicts anonymous) and she eats NO sugar and no gluten products.... she gave me her basic diet plan and I think it's smart. Nothing startling, just smart. I've slowly been weaning gluten out of our diet and restricting sugar. My pickiest eater tonight actually ate a whole dinner tonight of chicken, sides of salad, and strawberries/oranges. I was raised to have a starch with roll at every meal.... we've cut that out. Brown rice or occasionally potatoes surface now and again.

I don't have any healthy recipes but have been cooking smarter, cleaner.

B rotation- plain yogurt with fruit or smoothie of the same. Rice Chex or Corn chex or the kids. plain oatmeal.

L- a fist size portion of protein, salad, veggies.

D- same as L

snacks for kids---- fruits, veggies w/dip, maybe fruit chews, yogurt

The New York Goodwich is a vegetarian sandwich which I have made in quantity, then stored in the fridge for grab and gos we are having busy summer days out of doors.

Recipes abound on the Internet; here is one.

(I'm thinking that you are a vegetarian or vegan--is that right? Is the same true for the rest of the family?)

I am mostly vegan, the rest are vegetarian but I have been thinking of adding some chicken & fish into their diet. I am stuck in a rut which is why I am looking for more healthy ideas and variety.

Thanks again everyone for the recipes and links!

Edited by Quiver0f10

This is a pasta salad that I made the other week ~ it was very yummy! :D

[amounts depend on how much you want to make - so I'll just list what went into it]

whole wheat rotini

cucumber

carrot

onion

green pepper

red pepper

chickpeas

grape tomatoes

roasted red pepper dressing

If you want to see it ---> click [i used it for my 365]

edit: removed goose chatterings ~ saw you're vegan and your family is vegetarian.. never mind :laugh: [i'm a vegetarian as well, but the rest of the family isn't]

Edited by fivetails

One of our favorite dinners is a lentil concoction I created one day. It makes excellent lunch the next day.

1 lb of ground beef or turkey

a few cups of cooked lentils

1 onion - chopped

2 cloves of garlic - minced

2 carrots - chopped

2 ribs of celery - chopped

1 can of diced hot chilis

1 can of diced tomatoes

chili powder, cinammon, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste

Brown the meat and set on towels to drain.

Saute the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little bit of oil of your choice (I like to use coconut) until just softened. Add the tomatoes and chilis, add the meat and lentils, season to taste and make sure everything is heated through. Serve over rice or stuffed in a pita.

Thanks, this sounds good and I even have pitas in the freezer.

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas! I'll be trying them soon!

For snacks some of our favorites are:

Vanilla yogurt mixed with frozen grapes

Chocolate rice cakes spread with a T of peanut butter

Chocolate graham crackers spread with FF cool whip then frozen

Apples with peanut butter

Wasa crackerbread (crispbread) with a wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb cheese

I tend to rotate breakfast and lunch menus:

B:

Whole grain bagel or english muffins with nut butter or spreadable cheese (I prefer Laughing Cow Light), fresh fruit

Greek yogurt with toppings (fresh berries and sliced almonds, toasted oats, muselli, etc)

Scrambled eggs with cheese, whole grain toast, small glass of orange juice or fresh fruit

Oatmeal with toppings (fresh fruit, candied nuts, honey, etc)

L:

Tuna with whole grain crackers (I think they are called Wasa or Wassa or something similar), raw veggies

Pasta primavera (whole grain pasta, blanched fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, etc, tossed w/ olive oil, garlic, s & p, and sprinkled w/ parmasean)

Minestrone, grilled cheese sandwich

Bean burritos (whole grain tortillas, fresh 'refried' beans, loads of fresh salsa, sprinkled with cheese)

Roll-ups (whole grain tortillas, spreadable cheese, salad greens and other veggies, and meat is optional)

Dinner (our menu for the week):

Vegetarian lasagna, carrots

Homemade pizza, salad

Greek shrimp, wheat berry 'tabouleh' salad, cauliflower

Tacos, salad

Salmon, parsley-potatoes, string beans

Orzo paella, carrots

Roasted chicken thighs, mashed potatoes, salad

One of our favorite dishes is lentils with caramelized onions, and it's exactly what it sounds like. Cook a pot of lentils. Slice up an onion, caramelize it in lots of evoo. Mix. It's perfect for a quick, cheap lunch, and keeps you full forever.

Oops, edited!

I forgot you were vegan. Most of my dinners this week were not vegan, and we have often have eggs for breakfast, or yogurt. My teens do often have vegetarian burritos for breakfast.

My kids eat eggs, cheese and drink milk. They have eggs just about every day.

One of our favorite dishes is lentils with caramelized onions, and it's exactly what it sounds like. Cook a pot of lentils. Slice up an onion, caramelize it in lots of evoo. Mix. It's perfect for a quick, cheap lunch, and keeps you full forever.

This sounds really yummy! And easy and cheap :D

My kids really like this turkey meatloaf. I often toss some sweet potatoes in the oven while it's cooking.

Turkey Meat Loaf

1 pound ground turkey

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

1/ 4 cup applesauce

¼ cup ketchup

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

scant 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme

scant 1/8 teaspoon sage

1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs

2 T finely chopped onion, or to taste

Mix together well (it will be soft) and shape into oval loaf.

Combine 1/3 cup catsup and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar and spoon over loaf. Cover and bake at 350 degrees until done.