Menu

Is there a reason restaurants rarely use clear glass plates?

I am deciding between 3 different sets of serveware for everyday use. One set is transparent glass. Why do restaurants not use clear glass for food service at the the table? Does it look too shabby if it scratches a little?

Further, does anyone have different sets of everyday serveware? Anyone rotate their serveware by season? (not counting special Christmas dishes).

Edited by mirth

Some restaurants here have used clear glass, but not all. With the wrong type of dishwasher detergent they will become etched. And, since health codes prevent drying of dishes, the water spots are more likely to show on clear plates than on plates with color.

I have 3 sets of dishes. For years I had just 1. I have a plain white set that I used for every day for a long time. To make them seasonal I would just change the decor around them. So easy that I eventually sold my Christmas dishes. But, after many years I began to tire of that one set and my mom gave me a set of her corell that we mostly use now. I also have a set of Pfaltzengraf that I rotate. Which set I use sometimes depends on what I am serving - soupy foods require the plates with higher sides LOL. We are moving soon and I will be getting rid of one set and go down to just 2.

My dh, who used to wash dishes, said glass plates aren't used in restaurants often because they are difficult to keep spotless. Also, they show knife marks and etches more easily. I would pass on clear plates.

I have a hodge podge of plates. If I'm at a thrift store and find a really cool looking plate I'll pick it up even if there's only one. I like that all of my stuff doesn't match. Although, my mom bought me a lovely pottery type set of dishes last Christmas and I do adore them.

HTH

I am deciding between 3 different sets of serveware for everyday use. One set is transparent glass. Why do restaurants not use clear glass for food service at the the table? Does it look too shabby if it scratches a little?

Further, does anyone have different sets of everyday serveware? Anyone rotate their serveware by season? (not counting special Christmas dishes).

They show scratches.

...well, formerly nice, that were ruined by the dishwasher. They gradually became etch from the force and chemicals in the process. Now they look really old and shabby, so I only use them as a fallback.

Unless you're willing to handwash your plates, or wash them only in the top rack, I think that clear glass is a poor choice.

I have one set of white serveware that I use all the time. The reason I went with these is because if they get chipped or scratched, it doesn't show. This was based on previous experience with serveware that was not white. It also goes well with my various serving bowls & platters which are clear glass as are my glasses. I think it works well for everyday but also looks classy for formal dinners. I love the set I have as it has dinner plates, bread plates, soup bowls, dessert bowls and cups and saucers. Unfortunately, I am running out of pieces as many have been broken over the years and I can't find replacements. I am thinking of buying the plain white Corelle ware by the piece here soon so that I have what I want.

I do have a second set of heavy duty fiesta type serveware in a golden color which I will use when the kids leave home. I don't want them to break pieces and they don't like to use them anyhow because they say it is too heavy.

My brother has four sets of serveware that he uses for different occassions. He has a pumpkin colored set that is exactly like my gold set. He uses these everyday. He has an extremely nice set of white china with a large gold and black trim that is for special occassions. He has a set of Heartland Village that I gave my mother 20 years ago that he keeps for sentimental reasons but doesn't actually use and then he has another set of some type that I can't remember and don't know what he uses for, maybe a holiday or seasonal one? He also has more than one set of silverware.

Off-topic, but something I have to say!

I have two sets of dishes- both of which I LOVE. I couldn't make up my mind on which one to use, so I have 1/2 of each set mixed up in my cupboards right now. I had NEVER considered using one set at a time and switching occasionally. What a marvelously simple solution that never even occurred to me!

I get such great ideas hanging out on these boards, but I do feel rather stupid sometimes!