Menu

Anyone else's dh do this?

He circled a day on the calendar, a few weeks from now, and said "Be ready to leave at 9:45. Eat breakfast, and we'll probably be back for dinner." It's a Mystery Day!

Of course I need more information than this to plan for myself and three kids (and I am horrible with surprises). So I had to ask a few more questions. I don't need to pack lunches. We will be outside, so hats and jackets might be good.

Good thing that day was free on my calendar!!!!

That sounds WONDERFUL!

But I understand if it's not your style.

I think people who get married often provide one another with an opportunity to stretch, to grow--to become more than they would have had they stayed single. Not that singles are less than marrieds, but they often have to seek out those opportunities whereas husbands and wives provide that to each other every day.

Try to go with the flow--and tell us what he planned!:D

Oh I am not complaining! He loves to torment me with the surprise (part of his fun), but he always has great ideas!

He's done this a few times before - once he told me to be ready to get the kids out of bed and in the car at 5am, we'd find a place to change later. He asked me to pack breakfast and lunch, and we'd go out for dinner. He pulled into a WalMart a bit before 8am and told me to take the kids in to the bathroom and change their clothes, while he changed the youngest one in the car. We spent the day at Gettysburg!

When we were dating often times these escapades ended at some huge shopping mall.

Just wondering if he is one in a million, or other men also are creative in their endeavors.

No, lol, though he'll ask me two weeks out if we can go for vacation on day X. ;) (Usually I've had *some* idea this *might* happen -- though not always.) I did do this to *him* a few years ago -- told him I needed him to take off the day before and the day of dd's birthday and not plan anything for those days. And I told everyone to be in the car at 5am that morning. I packed for all of us, so no one had any idea. :) The kids opened clues throughout the day, and we drove to Chattanooga and did a cave tour, the children's museum, checked into a hotel, went swimming, did the aquarium the next day... And picked up dd's birthday cake on the way home.

It was so much fun, I should do it again!

Have a wonderful time on your Mystery Day!!!

ETA- I Forgot!!! He *did* do something like that on my 30th birthday! I thought he had "nothing" planned, and we just went to a simple lunch out... Then he started driving the wrong way, and we ended up at a really *lovely* hotel (where we'd stayed once or twice before) and had a fancy dinner there, all got to swim in the pool. He had even done a great job of packing a nice dress for me and making the kids pack their "fancy" clothes, brought swimsuits for all... And he had designed a "game" for me to play with directions and a pile of almost-identical birthday presents to open and trade in, etc. I only got to keep two (or six or eight). Turned out they were all Moleskine notebooks. Some blank. Some blank but with a "coupon" for some gift (like a Vitamix or 4 family dinners out when I just plain didn't care to cook). And four were "city guides". Barcelona, Dublin, Paris, London. I picked Paris and London. ;) And we planned a trip and went the next year. :) Great fun!

Edited by abbeyej

Love it! My husband tries to surprise me one every great while. Problem is, he's really crappy at keeping secrets and I'm really good at reading him and finding out, even if I find out through sheer serendipity. He almost had me once, until a coworker happened to call and ask if we were available to go out that night, and DH went outside to take the call and tell him that yes, we were, but that I didn't know it yet.

I'm a horribly suspicious person.

Have fun on your Mystery Day!